Friday, October 27, 2023

INTERVIEW with TAMRIN BANKS



I want to thank Tamrin Banks for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

I'm a mother of three who works for a school district as a cafeteria aide but I've also had a lot of different hats over the years. Divorced single mom fresh out of the military working nights in a plastics factory all the way to teaching cardio kickboxing and zumba at the YMCA.

I've been married to my honey bunny for 22 years now. He's absolutely the best and tries to keep me in check as much as possible because I am a crazy person that stacks too much on her plate and then does it all no matter what. Even if it drives everyone nuts!

I love the kind of romances where you know what you're getting. I don't like happily for now. That just feels like cheating to me. I also don't like love triangles. I'm an easy girl and I like my books like I like my men...lol! Uncomplicated. So if you're reading my books, you know that no matter what, there's a happily ever after!


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I started writing in grade school. I wrote my first very short story in third grade and entered it in a little school contest. I won third and my best friend won first. That was when I knew I really wanted to write.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

My favorite author died during COVID and I had been collecting and reading her books my whole life. She wrote mysteries, regency romances and some historical mysteries. Her name was Marion Chesney or MC Beaton depending which books you were reading.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

I wouldn’t say that any of my characters really are. Although a little bit of my husband may sneak into my men and a little of me into my heroines.  

But the one thing that definitely came from my real life was in the first book I wrote. The beagle named Louie that ate one of each pair of shoes. That was my puppy and he really did do that to me. I had to replace every pair.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

I’m not even sure. When I start a collab, let’s say, I look at the series title and then it just pops into my head along with a basic premise. 


Do you have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I am very much a pantser which gets me in trouble sometimes.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Not really. Sometimes I look at my cover. I have little wallet size pictures of my covers that I’m currently doing the books on a bulletin board in my living room.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation. What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Read. If I have a spare second, I’m reading. I can read about four short to medium books a day.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Oh, that’s a long list.  

Cameron Hart, Eve London, Hallie Bennet, Kat Baxter, Hope Ford, Rose Bak, Skye Alder, Tana Stone, Matilda Martel, Karla Doyle, Brynn Paulin.  

Like I said, a lot.


What are your favorite books by others?  

I just read Snow’s Woman by Hallie Bennet and loved it. Read it twice.  

The Man of the Month Club books. I read all of them.  

And I just read a regency romance by Eloisa James called Not That Duke.  I loved it.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

I tend to make my scenery more descriptive and less the name of the place. But I love the thought of living on a peaceful mountain or a ranch so I have a lot of that kind of thing.


Do you write in single or multiple POV? 

Multiple POV


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Internet. I write so fast that I have to do it as quick as I can.


Do you write under a pen name? Also, do you write under more than one name?

I do write under Tamrin Banks which is a pen name but that is my only one.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Right now I’m writing short instalove and I love it. I read it a lot because I often read in short bursts. It is a familiar form because I read it so much.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing. Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait... what led to you being you?

Growing up, I read horse books all the time. I collected Breyer horses and then seemed to transfer to romances and mysteries when I hit about 12.  

I used to get up hours early so that I could get some reading alone time. Then I wrote all the time but it wasn’t until my hubby dared me to publish something on my own that I did it. I can’t stand it when he dares me!


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer? 

Dare yourself. Don’t wait for your significant other or a family member to do it! You never know how it will work out but you don’t get anything if you don’t try.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

Believe it or not, I try not to read reviews too much. 

Every once in awhile I break down and do it. But when I do, it’s a hard thing to see negative reviews.  

I am very soft-hearted and take everything personally so I will cry and be upset for awhile and then I just read some good ones even if they’re old and remind myself that you can’t make everyone happy.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Finding time sometimes. I work and I try to spend time with my husband when he’s home. So it gets a little tight sometimes.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

I have my bulletin boards. My hubby is making me an office and I’m decorating it with some things that help me relax. Fake flowers because I’m allergic and I kill real ones and sparkly things because I love sparkle.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

I don’t think I have one. Just taking a quick break to read.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose? And why?

Maybe Tana Stone?  

I want to write a sci-fi romance. Full-length. I’d like to pick her brain about aliens!


What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I drink too much zero sugar pop and coffee when I’m writing. And my schedule is nuts. I wrote twelve shorts in July.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I love to listen to music when I write. But I am equal opportunity. I have eighties hair bands like Cinderella, I have ACDC, I have show tunes like Phantom, I have country, I have some new pop.  

I love all kinds. Just has to be something I connect with.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Louie passed away right before I started writing and I haven’t wanted another animal since. He was my furbaby.


What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game?

If my husband is behind me while I’m trying to write a sexy scene. I totally lose it.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?  

Naw. I don’t kill good guys.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Usually writing the title page of the next one.


I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Tamrin Bank!

Make sure to give Tamrin Banks a shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Tamrin:

No comments:

Post a Comment