Thursday, August 15, 2024

INTERVIEW with EVE M RILEY


I want to thank Eve M Riley for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

I have worked for many years in the tech startup scene writing screeds of notes*, the results of which you'll find in The Techboys Series. The Refusal is the first novel of this series and in all eight books are planned.**

I love helping people escape their daily lives for a short while with the help of a steamy romance, some fun, strong women and gorgeous fictional boyfriends!

I am a Scottish author based in Edinburgh with my husband and I have two grown up children. When I'm not reading or writing, I love running and can often be found in local cafes or out enjoying the beautiful wilderness of Scotland.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

This was something that developed gradually. I started writing for myself and it took a while to believe I might publish these stories that I was writing. I’m very grateful for all the support and encouragement I got from other writers, readers and teachers.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I have always loved books and reading, specifically a big romance fan. So like many romance readers I started with Mills and Boon. But Beverley Clearly’s Fifteen was a huge influence on me.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

There are elements of people and experiences I’ve had in all the characters I write, but no one is specifically like anyone I know. I love people’s funny stories, so if they tell me something great, I’ll often use it: with their permission of course!


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

A whole variety of places, reading newspapers, stories online, social media, films and shorts. Often it’s just something that sparks an interesting idea.


Do you have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I know the main plot points, what’s going to happen at 25%, 50% and 75% through the book, but I also like to discover what’s going to happen with my characters, so I don’t map out too much, just a vague direction. My characters often surprise me!


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

I’ve usually got a picture in my mind’s eye of what a character is like. It can actually be frustrating trying to find a picture that matches the person I imagined! 

I don’t usually get to a photo until I need something for reference for designer, or a picture to use in social media.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation. What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Definitely reading romance with a nice cup of coffee and a homemade biscuit! Edinburgh is the capital of home-baking.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I’m definitely a fan of some of the big romance authors: Elle Kennedy, Sarina Bowen, Christina Lauren, Neve Wilder, Sarah Morgan, Anne Calhoun.


What are your favorite books by others?

Wait for You, by Jennifer L Armentrout is definitely a favorite. Autoboyography by Christina Lauren is a gay romance I love, also her Beautiful Player book with Will is a real favorite. Uncommon Passion and Uncommon Pleasure by Anne Calhoun are also go-to reads for me.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

In my stories, New York is a place I have visited for many decades, and one of my best friends lives there, so it holds a special place in my heart.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Multiple POV


What do you find to be your best research tool?

I always start with a Google search and Google maps, but really it very much depends on what I’m looking for. 

Is it something about location or the details of how to handle a medical emergency? Reddit can be very useful, as can Quora.


Do you write under a pen name?Also, do you write under more than one name?

One pen name: Eve M. Riley.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Romance. Because I’m a romance reader through and through!


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing. Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

Before I started writing books, I had a research business that did research for the government with disadvantaged people. It taught me a lot.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Teach yourself marketing! You won’t get anywhere without it.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

I’ve been fortunate that I’ve had very few of these. But it’s part and parcel of the process of being a writer, and it can be very useful for understanding people’s sensitivities.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Sorting plot holes that don’t have an obvious solution! 

Writing medical scenes and making them believable!


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Not a lot really – if I’ve got a laptop I can write anywhere. I’m always keen to get back to the world I’m writing! 

A pad and pen is useful to write down things for my to-do list so they don’t distract me.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Nothing! I tend to forget time if I get really engrossed.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose? And why?

I’d love to spend a day with Christina Lauren and learn about how they write together and their writing process. 

Maybe also J.K. Rowling or some author that has a great writing system: that would be so interesting.


What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I write or edit every day, usually to a daily target of words or chapters to edit.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

No. No distractions!


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

I have a cat, but he’s very chill.


What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game?

Not sure I get this question. I enjoy the process and always enjoy writing.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

No.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Maybe a glass of wine? The first draft is only the start of the work, really, so I know that’s all to come, I guess. All the hard work is in the editing for me.


I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Eve M Riley!

Make sure to give Eve M Riley a shout-out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Eve:

Website:

Amazon:

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook:

Instagram:

TikTok:

Newsletter Signup:


No comments:

Post a Comment