Friday, October 11, 2024

INTERVIEW with WENDY MILLION


I want to thank Wendy Million for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

W Million is an award-winning author whose contemporary romances about strong women and troubled men have captivated her loyal readers. Writing as Wendy Million, she is also the author of the romantic suspense series The Donaghey Brothers, the NA sports romance Saving Us, and the contemporary romance, When Stars Fall.

When not writing, Wendy enjoys spending time in or around the water. She lives in Ontario, Canada with two beautiful daughters, two cute pooches, and one handsome husband (who is grateful she doesn’t need two of those).


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

As a kid, I often kept a journal. I’ve always loved both reading and writing. There’s a story building or starting in my head at all times. 

About ten years ago I finally had the time to start writing some of them down, and about six years ago I started pursuing publishing.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Not really. I’ve gone through different phases in my own reading, which has influenced my writing, but I wouldn’t say I’ve ever had a favorite writer or someone who strongly influenced what I decided to read or write.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Lots of my characters have tiny aspects of people I’ve either met in passing, know in real life, or who I’ve heard about from other friends. I do take inspiration from other aspects of my life. 

My novel, When Stars Fall, was heavily influenced by my love of celebrity gossip and iconic celebrity relationships.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

A story idea can come from almost anywhere. A lot of times my ideas come from the characters themselves in that a character emerges in my mind and then I build a story around them. What obstacles do they need to overcome? Who are they as a person? What’s the one thing they want more than anything?


Do you have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I’m a little bit of both. I have a broad sense of how the story will go, but I am far from a detailed outliner or plotter. Sometimes, I think I know where a story is going only to get there and discover that path doesn’t quite work anymore with the growth a character has experienced.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

No, I don’t. I actually rarely work with photos at all—my brain holds the information and then I try to convey what I “see” to my readers.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation. What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Reading, generally outside the romance genre, is still relaxing for me. Within the romance genre, I often get tripped up by looking at how an author is writing, which is less relaxing. 

I also enjoy exercising—going to the gym or swimming as a way to relax too.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Abby Jimenez is probably one of my favorites right now. Every book she’s written I’ve enjoyed.


What are your favorite books by others?

Jessica Joyce’s You, With a View

Ashley Poston’s The Seven Year Slip

Emily Henry’s Book Lovers

Amy Lea’s Exes and O’s

Taylor Jenkins Reid’s Daisy Jones and the Six

And there are a lot more! I don’t tend to read a lot of series, but I adore a good standalone.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Some of them have been places I’ve visited. In Scarred Crown, Nick and Jules go on safari in Tanzania, and a lot of their experiences are based on my own. 

There are other similarities to what characters experience and what I’ve personally experienced in my books. When Stars Fall takes place in Bermuda, and I lived there for two years, so it has some of that flavor to it. 

A book I’ll have coming out in 2025 takes place in England near where I lived in my twenties, so it holds a lot of significance to me too.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Almost all my books are written in first person, dual point of view. I have a couple that are single POV from the female main character.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Life experience is by far my best writing tool. If I can write about an experience I’ve had personally, something I’ve watched other people go through, or something I’ve talked to someone else about, those tend to be the richest stories I write, I think. 

Other than that, search engines are an incredible asset to look up maps or locations or other cultural details that might not come easily.


Do you write under a pen name? Also, do you write under more than one name?

I write under both W. Million and Wendy Million. 

My W. Million brand is billionaires, royals, and now small town. I’ll probably stick with those for that pen name. My royals series takes place on a fictional island that functions a lot like a small town, so it’s not quite as far removed as one might think.

For my Wendy Million brand, it’s more contemporary, more up market adult romance and romantic suspense.

I have written some young adult books, which I might put out under a third name at some point, but I’m not completely sure yet.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write mostly romance (several subgenres). As a reader, I really like happy endings, stories that are uplifting, and I enjoy reading about two people who aren’t perfect but find a way to be perfect for each other. Those are also the kinds of stories I like to write.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing. Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait... what led to you being you?

I’m a high school teacher as well as a swim coach. I’ve always really loved working with kids of any age and helping them master new skills. It’s not always an easy job, but the rewards are tremendous.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Read. Read widely. Read things that don’t seem to have any bearing on your genre, read extensively within your genre, pull apart what you read, dissecting it for what you enjoy and what you don’t like as much. 

Take all the innate knowledge you accumulate through this process and let it help guide you in your own writing. You’ll establish your own rhythms and voice, but it’s good to understand what you naturally enjoy first.


How do you deal with and process negative book reviews?

I read all my reviews, which is probably a habit I’ll have to break at some point. At some point, it probably won’t be mentally healthy for me to do that. 

The truth is that once a book is written and out in the world, the only way is forward. I’m not going to go back and rewrite a book that didn’t quite land with my target audience, so you have to find a way to shake off the thoughts and opinions of people who didn’t enjoy it. 

If I’m lucky enough to have a long career in writing, bad reviews are inevitable, having a book that doesn’t hit is inevitable, so it’s really about learning to push forward with what you’ve learned instead of trying to change what’s already done.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

It’s usually the ending. In the last 10 or so chapters, I know how the book is going to end, and I find it almost painful to write those chapters. My brain has already moved onto the next shiny thing.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

My favorite place to write is outside in our screened gazebo. When I can write out there, I’m most productive. I’m not faced with all the household things I’m ignoring, my kids mostly leave me be, and being outside is invigorating.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

I don’t really have one. I try not to snack or do much other than drink water while I’m writing.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose? And why?

I would probably pick someone who’d recently gone viral, and their book has taken off. I think it would be really interesting to see what that’s like from an outsider’s perspective.


What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I drink water and tea—pretty basic. 

My writing schedule is chaotic. I tend to batch write on weekends because the week is spent ferrying my kids to their various activities.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Sometimes I listen to a song over and over again if it has a particular resonance for a scene or character in the story. But I am also just as likely to write in silence, particularly if I’m able to be outside writing. 

I like the quiet, especially if I’m not directly inspired by lyrics or a certain melody.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

They don’t get in my way. But they do tend to lie at my feet or beside my chair as I write. I have two dogs.


What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game?

Stress. If I’m stressed with other things—my kids, teaching, other life things, I can’t write. It sucks all my creativity right out.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Yes, but they weren’t a main character. No spoilers, so I won’t say in what book.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I feel like I should make something up here. Haha. I used to feel really accomplished, but I’ve never had a celebration ritual. By the time I get to the end of one book, I’ve already started writing the next one in my head. It’s a fairly quick turnaround from writing one and into the next.


I hope you enjoyed this interview as much as I have!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Wendy Million!

Make sure to give a shout out to Wendy Million and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Wendy:

No comments:

Post a Comment