Wednesday, September 18, 2024

INTERVIEW with RYAN T OSBORN


I want to thank Ryan T Osborn for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Ryan Osborn was born in Peoria, Illinois. An avid player of tabletop role-playing games, and Backgammon, Ryan enjoyed storytelling in any form or genre, especially gay romantic suspense thrillers and comedies, and daytime soap operas, including but not limited to plays, audio plays, poetry, music, short stories, novellas, and novels. As a gay teenager and young adult, he would read his grandmother and mother's romance novels and wanted to know why there were none for him that ended with a HEA, so he decided that he would put his writing talent to good use and wrote three YA gay romances in high school, and has been writing them ever since.



When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer? 

As a gay man in my youth, I fell in love mystery stories. And my grandmother and mother would read and share, Harlequin Paperback romance novels, and they would always give me the Harlequin Intrigue and Silhouette Shadows, books as the horror/mystery/thriller aspect was not for them but they knew that I enjoyed them.
 
As I started coming out as a gay man, I started wondering why there were no “Gay Themed” romance novels out in the world and started doing tons of research to try to find them. Sadly all I got for my trouble was a “Bury Your Gay” attitude in books and movies. So basically supposed “Gay Romances” before 2011 ended badly. Either one hero would die, “see the light of day” and marry the girl next door, move far away never to see their lover again, or be so mentally broken they couldn’t ever have a happy healthy stable relationship again.
 
This was horribly disheartening, so when I was in high school/Jr. College, I put my writing skill to good use and started writing my own gay romances with the HEA that I wanted to see, and I’ve been writing them ever since.

It wasn’t until the year of COVID-19 that I first joined Romance Writers of America and joined their “At the time” chapter “Passionate Ink” because they specialized in Very spicy writing. Since my romance novels could be considered Erotic Romance due to their level of spicy love scenes, and the necessity of those scenes to the overall story arch. With their help, I finished and published my first novel, Caine’s Alibi which was released on June 15, 2021. And the rest is history.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write Romantic Suspense/Thrillers because I’ve always been fascinated with stories where the main character doesn’t know if the love interest is going to kiss them or kill them. I’m also particularly fond of romantic comedy. So I tend to stick to these two genres when I’m writing.

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Yes. One in particular. Since English/Lit was my jam in school, and I always been told I had an overactive imagination, I tried finding many methods of putting that imagination to good use. My best friend’s mother was a writer, who enjoyed writing steamy love stories in her spare time, and I thought that a great outlet for my imagination and so started writing. I started with very short mystery stories, poetry and small one act skits. But then after my dose of Romance, with my mystery/suspense/thriller love, and boom. I wanted to write novels.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Most all of my characters are based on me. Writing for me is part of my therapy. Generally what I do is, if I’m facing some interior conflict of my own, I give it to my characters and let them work it out for me, essentially, I’m working out my own interior conflicts by writing them in the story. 

The only two stories I’ve written where characters were loosely based on real people were my stories, Grow Old Along With Me in which the love interest was based on a friend of mine, who challenged me to put him in a story. The other one is Claiming Papa, which is a fictional recounting of a very dark moment in my life, after the death of my older sister, when I was contemplating suicide and the young man who helped me see the light and inspired me to live. In the story, I am “Roger” and his love interest “Angel” is based on my good and dear friend Kevin, who was my light in the darkest moment of my life.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Inspiration for my books and stories are drawn from many aspects of my life. Sometimes movies or television series will inspire my stories. One of my favorite television series is the 90’s Fox Television Series, The X-Files, so in wanting to tell a story with a similar premise, I wrote my novel, The Shadows of Thornebrook. 

The story features a skeptic, a photojournalist who gave up his beliefs in the Wiccan religion, and a believer who follows the Wiccan Religion completely. The two are sent to a town to find a missing girl, and must deal with very uncooperative townsfolk. The inspiration for my character of Jordan, the photojournalist, was that after the death of my sister, I was loosing my faith. I’ve been a follower of Wicca for over 20 years. So I wrote him as a way for me to find my faith again. 


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I have a basic outline, sort of. Okay, so this is my writing process. 

First, I fill out my production bible. This is a 8-10 page worksheet given to me by a writing mentor during one of her classes. The worksheet breaks down things like expanding the GMC chart for interior and exterior conflicts, Romantic Conflict, etc.  

Then I fill out both a romance beat sheet and if I’m writing a romantic suspense/thriller, a mystery beat sheet, and use all those combined to put together my outline for exterior conflicts through the story.  

The interior conflicts I write off the top of my head. The characters tell me what’s going on in their heads and I write it down basically.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration? 

Hell, yeah!  When I put my production bible together, I will scour Google Images to see if I can find a guy that fits the particular character, and when I lock eyes on, I’m like 'That’s so and so'. 

I save the image and add it to their section of the Production Bible. Then I use the image to give me a visualization of my characters when I write, and give me a basic idea of their appearance. I’ve used celebs and actors a few times.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation. What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Oh, Man. I wouldn’t know where to begin. 

Writing is one way I relax, believe it or not. 

Reading sometimes, helps me relax. (Although, sometimes, it can put me to sleep, so I tend to stick to audiobooks.) 

I love to crochet and listen to Audiodramas, or radio programs of the 1940-60’s.  

I’m a huge fan of Backgammon, which is one of my favorite board games and happily will take any challenger, LOL!


Who are your favorite current authors to read? 

How much time do you have? Just kidding. I have so many. 

But right now I’m totally hooked on Keira Andrews. Her storytelling capability really sucks you in, and I’ve not met a female author who does such a startling job of writing Gay romance. I would recommend her books to anyone.


What are your favorite books by others?

Again, how much time do you have? LOL.  

My favorite novels have always been Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, Dracula by Bram Stoker, And Then There Were None by Agatha Christy, to name a few.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Most of my stories are set in the Midwest, mainly in Illinois, since I was raised here.  

Only one book series, Bear Family by my alter ego David Camily, takes place in the fictional Midwest City called Remington City, loosely based on Peoria, Illinois. 


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I write in multiple POV. Mostly my two Heroes.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

“Google is your friend” is what comes to mind here. LOL. To be honest though, I do most of my research online.


Do you write under a pen name? Also, do you write under more than one name?

Yes. I write two different genres. 

I write Gay Romantic Suspense/Thrillers and short literary erotica under my legal name, Ryan T. Osborn.  

While I write more contemporary romance, or romantic comedy under my pen name David Camily.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing. Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

My 9-5 job is working as a Receptionist/Equipment Loan Manager at an organization called Life Center for Independent Living. An organization that helps people with disabilities live more independent lives.  

I’m also a member of Passionate Ink Erotic Writer’s Association where I serve on the Board of Directors as Member Engagement Director.  

This year I won the Angela Knight Service Award for service excellence in the previous year. 


If you are a duo writing team, how do you share the writing process?

I have only written a book with someone twice.  

The first time we won’t even talk about. I’m still sorting out that mess. LOL.  

The second time I worked with someone on a book was an amazing success. My novel, Masters of the Zodiac #7: Aries I wrote with my good friend and fellow author Minette Moreau. I had started with writing out the production bible (character developmental worksheet), and the Romance Beats and a minimal outline, and then she took all my notes, and what not and wrote out most of the novel. I wrote a few of the love scenes. All in all, it was an amazing product at the end of the day.  


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Start early. Learn all you can, and enjoy your success.


How do you deal with and process negative book reviews?

Negative book reviews used to get me down all the time. However, I watched what a friend and fellow author does. If she gets a bad or negative review, she will rewrite it with a positive spin, and make it her next promotional statement.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Lately? Finding the time. 

Between my job and a family emergency I’ve been dealing with, I hardly have time to eat, and sleep let alone write. But I try to squeeze time in during the weekends. That’s generally when I’m able to get the most writing done. Thank the Gods for PI (Passionate Ink’s) Weekend Writing sprints!


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

To be honest no distractions, which is very hard some days.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

I am a smok-ity smoker, who smokes. LOL! Yes, I know boo, bad habit, etc. But yes, I tend to smoke like a chimney when I am writing.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose? And why?

Honestly? I would love to meet Sandra Brown. I’ve already met famed Romantic Suspense author Maggie Shayne before.


What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

My writing drink is one of three, Coffee, Tea, or Coke-a-Cola. Depending on time of day and intensity of writing session.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Ahhhh, music, now that’s something I can sink my teeth into. I’m pretty Poly-Jam-erous! LOL. I listen to anything.  

Depending on my mood, I could be listening to anything from Classical to Thrash Metal, and anything, and I do mean anything in between.  

When I start a new project, or a new book, I put together a playlist on my Spotify featuring songs with similar feels and/or themes similar to the book I plan on writing and I will call it my soundtrack.  

For example, in my novel, The Shadows of Thornebrook I did romantic music about having a second chance at love, and spooky atmospheric music. 

Links to all my “Soundtracks” are available with the book ad on my website.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Oh, yes. My late cat, Joshua, usually would sit on my computer keyboard. The master was telling his subordinate, that it was time to quit writing.  LOL. 


What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game?

Distractions. One of the main reasons that I listen to music is to block out distaractions while I’m writing. My headphones are always on.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Once. Johnny, the murder victim in my novel Caine’s Alibi


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I celebrate “THE END” first by telling Passionate Ink, then posting on Facebook, then I pop a bottle of sparkling grape juice, which I sip on out of a champagne shoot, and enjoy Lindell Chocolates!  

I also celebrate “THE END” by buying myself a wall hanging featuring the book cover of the book. However, due to money restraints I’m one cover behind on the latter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment