Friday, March 15, 2024

INTERVIEW with ALEX L MICHAELS


I want to thank Alex L Michaels for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Alex L. Michaels has been addicted to reading and writing ever since she learned how to walk. She writes swoon-worthy romance with domineering, dirty-talking alpha heroes and sassy, independent heroines.

She is a movie buff, TV series addict and a horror aficionado, but books always come first. If she's not writing or reading, she's either watching a horror movie, plotting her next novel or chasing her dreams.



When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer? 

I knew I wanted to be a writer immediately after I learned how to read. It was the only thing I wanted to do in my life, and still is.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up? 

Many, but the two writers who influenced me the most are Anaïs Nin and D. H. Lawrence. 

D.H. Lawrence’s book Lady Chatterley’s Lover moulded me into a writer I am today.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life? 

No. All my characters are a figment of my imagination.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from? 

Sometimes it’s just a dream that I’ve had, or a sentence that I read somewhere. It’s usually the little things.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way? 

I let my characters interact while I chronicle what’s going on. I tried the outline approach, but it doesn’t work for me.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration? 

No. I can usually see them in my head quite clearly.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation. What is your favorite way to sit back and relax? 

A good book or a good movie.


Who are your favorite current authors to read? 

At the moment, I’m re-reading Kristen Ashley.


What are your favorite books by others? 

My favorite book is probably The Maddest Obsession by Danielle Lori.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you? 

Often, they’re places I would like to visit.


Do you write in single or multiple POV? 

More often than not, multiple POV (hero and heroine). Lately, I discovered I enjoy writing from male POV.


What do you find to be your best research tool? 

My imagination.


Do you write under a pen name? Also, do you write under more than one name? 

I write under two pen names, each for a different genre.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference? 

I write mostly romance. It’s a genre that let’s me combine a love story, humor, and any subgenre I’m currently in the mood for.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing. Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you? 

I’m a simple person who leads a simple life. I leave the adventures for my books. I’m also an introvert, which doesn’t help in my line of work.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer? 

Love your craft, perfect your craft and never give up.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews? 

It was tougher in the beginning, but now I have a thicker skin. I remind myself we’re all different and like different things.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process? 

Neither, although in the past I had issues with ending the book. And then I just sort of outgrew it.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused? 

Just peace and quiet.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing? 

Anything chocolate.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose? And why? 

L. J. Shen probably. Her books are just such great quality, and I would love to chat to her about it.


What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink? 

I don’t have a schedule. I go with the flow. 

I learned a long time ago that you can’t speed up the creative process. It has to come from the heart.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite? 

No. It distracts me. Incidentally, my favorite music is punk/heavy metal. Sometimes bossa nova or light jazz.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing? 

No, although I considered getting a dog because I just looove dogs.


What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game? 

In the past, a bad review would make me lose my mojo. Not anymore, though.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved? 

No. All my books have HEA.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END? 

I don’t have time to celebrate because I’m usually already plotting my next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment