Tuesday, March 12, 2024

INTERVIEW with COLE J POWELL


I want to thank Cole J Powell for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Cole J. Powell is a New Zealand author who writes fierce heroines and cutthroat alphas.

She loves writing books with suspenseful plots and twisted storylines; sometimes those sweet and heartfelt stories sneak in too.

When Cole’s not in the writing cave with her copious cups of tea, she’ll be on an outdoor adventure with her family or contemplating what mischief she can get up to next.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

Becoming a writer took me by surprise. In 2019 I opened a blank doc and let my imagination run wild. I had no vision, no plan, only the thoughts circulating at the time. With encouragement from a close friend, I knew I would finish my first novel.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Growing up I gravitated towards Roald Dahl and later Charles Dickens. Reading was never as big for me as it is now.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

If the storyline bears similarity with my own experience, then there’s potential for someone to become my muse, but never based on a person directly.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

My mental health. Writing is the best outlet, which creates my beautiful, witty and sometimes twisted characters. Having the freedom to express these characters is the biggest inspiration.


Do you have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

There’s usually a theme I choose when starting a new book. From there my characters don’t allow me the privilege of planning. They’re rather needy and always change the direction of the story.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

It’s all imagination based. Especially when their description changes without warning, visual boards don't work for me.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation. What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

In any setting whether camping or relaxing at home, I’ll always have a book and snacks close by.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Jane Blythe and Kathleen Kelly


What are your favorite books by others?

Beyond the Roses by Monica James

Fighting Redemption & Fighting Absolution by Kate McCarthy

The Dark Series by Danah Logan


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

All of the outdoor settings do. I love nature and have some favorite locations I’ll use as inspiration.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

All full length novels are in multiple POV. Short stories are single POV.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Good ol’ Google. There are times I’ll reach out to people with expertise or experiences.


Do you write under a pen name? Also, do you write under more than one name?

One pen name, Cole J. Powell.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Creating a plot that leads a reader down the rabbit hole is thrilling. There are so many twists and turns to explore, which lead me to writing Mafia/crime family and suspense.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing. Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait... what led to you being you?

I’m not really big on talking about myself, until I’m comfortable then start rambling. 

I live in New Zealand and work as a teacher aide. 

I love camping adventures with my husband, two kids and dog–who thinks she’s a human. 

The best times are always spontaneous. 

I’m my own quirk as far as traits go, loud to those who know me with a crazy sense of humor.


 What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Forget expectations and write for you. Get lost in your words and enjoy the world you’re creating. Never be shy to reach out.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

They’ll always be hard to read, and I acknowledge my words won’t be everyone’s cup of tea. I take criticism whether good or negative on board to help me grow.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Imposter syndrome nearing the end of the first draft.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Music, snacks and my phone on silent.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Inside my writing environment, snacks. 

When it comes to my characters there’s no shortage of steam.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose? And why?

Can I say all of them? 

This is hard because I’ve become friends with so many amazing authors. I’ll say… visiting the UK is high on my bucket list.


What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

My schedule consists of two hours of writing a day except Fridays where I write with a friend. I always prepare with cups of tea, fruit, pretzels and of course my something extra sweet.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Background noise has always helped me concentrate. At the moment I’m into EDM and old school rock–The Rolling Stones, CCR, Lynard Skynyrd etc.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Our cat, Buddy, used to curl up on my knee/laptop while I wrote in my fav chair. I’ve never pressed ‘save’ so much in my life.


What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game?

Constant distractions.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Guilty.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Always with cake and my kids.

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Cole J Powell!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2024/03/author-at-glance-cole-j-powell.html

Make sure to give Cole J Powell a shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Cole:

Email: authorcolej.powell@gmail.com

Linktr.ee:
https://linktr.ee/ColeJ.Powell

Website:

Amazon:

Google Play Books:

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook:

Facebook Group:

Instagram:

TikTok:

Threads:

Newsletter Signup:


No comments:

Post a Comment