Saturday, March 16, 2024

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - LAMONT SERIES by Cole J Powell


THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY
Lamont Series

 

Get a behind-the-scenes all-access pass to Cole J Powell's Lamont Series!


***Synopsis***

Alexander Lamont, whose name alone is feared by many, is owed a long awaited debt. His right-hand, Antonio, is ruthless with a dark streak of his own. Together they succeed in claiming Alexander's debt, although two beautiful women are quick to turn their world upside down.

Each has their own book. Alexander’s (Concealed Deception) can be read as a standalone. If you fall down the rabbit hole, Antonio’s duet (Sinful Addiction & My Only Addiction) follows. 

Be warned, Sinful Addiction ends on a cliffhanger. Together they make for a great binge read.

 

What is the sub-genre and trope? Did your characters lead you to this genre or was that decided before the story began?

Mafia romantic suspense

Concealed Deception formed from an author's series, the theme catfishing. As the main characters were formed they took over. From thereon my mafia/crime family were born and books two and three were written. More will follow to round off the series.


Are you more character or plot driven?

Character driven.


With many main and secondary characters, how do you keep them separated in your mind? Do you have a story/vision board above your workspace?

I have a spreadsheet with every character name. As for the more detailed aspects, notebooks are my best friend. I use a new one for each project.


I know from previous interviews that characters take on a life of their own. Were any of the characters in this series determined to take their own direction instead of where you initially wanted them to go?

Most definitely. 

Antonio is the worst for this. His voice is the strongest out of all my characters. To the point I was writing a short story and out of nowhere, there he was.


Are any of the male POVs based on anyone you know?

I’ll often use my husband’s quirks or humor. Otherwise my POV’s are fiction.


Are any of the female POVs based on anyone you know?

The same applies here. My character POV’s are fictional unless using my own traits.


Was there any one character/scene that was harder to write about than the other?

There is a specific bonding scene toward the end of My Only Addiction that caught me off guard. Tears of relief may have been shed.


What is your favorite book in the series?

My Only Addiction.


I know that we aren’t supposed to have “favorites” as far as our children, but seriously, who’s your favorite character and why?

Lol, we all have a secret fav. Antonio has been a rollercoaster to write. Seeing a softer side to his alphahole tendencies gave me a lot to desire. But, shhh, don’t tell the others.


Series question - Who is your favorite couple and why did you decide on their dynamics?

Gah, this is hard! (An hour later…)

Antonio and Lacey. Their push and pull chemistry gave me a lot of room to develop their relationship. They’re stubborn and fiercely protective of one another which helped the challenges that arose every step of the way.


How do you get inside these characters’ heads to find their perfect HEA?

There’s really no knowing how an ending will pan out.


What scene in this book/series sticks out the most for you? Why?

A scene in Sinful Addiction involving a deck of cards, ties, retribution and cheap vodka. Antonio’s dark side comes out to play. He’s ruthless and unforgiving. It’s a vital turning point for him in some ways. Out of the entire series, that’s my most memorable without serious spoilers.


Series - Were any of the books harder to write than others?

Concealed Deception proved difficult at times as I was stepping into new territory.


This question is if you write in MULTIPLE POVs not just the hero and heroine - I love the multiple POVs in a book. It’s not just the hero and heroine, but we get inside the heads of multiple characters throughout this series. I feel that it gives the story further depth. Do you think you will write another book or series following this multiple POV outline?

My multi POVs are chapter based. I always add a side character in the mix and find it good to have that extra depth.


How long did it take you to write this series?

Book one took close to seven months. 

Books two and three combined were four months. 

They were originally written as one book then later split into a duet. This was due to my OCD having a fit over book sizes.


How did you come up with the title for your books and series?

Concealed Deception was due to the theme at the time. It was a play on hidden identities and lies. 

Sinful Addiction and My Only Addiction were a play on the main characters and the health of their relationship.


If you met these characters in real life would you get along?

The women, heck yes! 

The men, possibly Antonio on a good day, not so much Alexander. He dislikes everyone.


Series question – Did you know in advance that you were going to write this as a series or did one of the characters in book one demand their own story?

One name–Antonio.

Until readers started asking for Antonio, I never intended to write a series. He came back into my head and agreed it was his time to play.


If your books/series were made into a movie, which actors do you see as playing your characters?

Ava - Alexandra Daddario

Xander - Mariano Di Vaio

Lacey - Julianne Hough

Antonio - Tom Hardy

Anyone feel free to throw your ideas at me, lol.


Can you give us a hint as to what we can expect next? Whether a new book and series or a sequel to an existing series? Can you share a small tease?

I’ll share some secrets. 

I’ve written a billionaire spin-off short story, this will be a live release in May for ebook only. 

My main current WIP is Vince’s prequel in The Lamont Series. Teasers of this are in my newsletters. It’s full of scandal, steam, and one determined hero.


Check out all my interviews/reviews for Cole J Powell!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2024/03/author-at-glance-cole-j-powell.html


Cole J. Powell is a New Zealand author who writes fierce heroines and cutthroat alphas.

She loves writing books with suspenseful plots and twisted storylines; sometimes those sweet and heartfelt stories sneak in too.

When Cole’s not in the writing cave with her copious cups of tea, she’ll be on an outdoor adventure with her family or contemplating what mischief she can get up to next.

Connect with Cole:

Email: authorcolej.powell@gmail.com

Linktr.ee:
https://linktr.ee/ColeJ.Powell

Website:

Amazon:

Google Play Books:

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook:

Facebook Group:

Instagram:

TikTok:

Threads:

Newsletter Signup:




CONCEALED DECEPTION by Cole J Powell
Lamont Series - Book 1

Xander
They kept her hidden from me for fourteen years. Now, she sits in my club, my personal playground, clueless of the repercussions her father placed on her life.
Ava Pierce doesn’t know her world is about to implode, and I’ll take pleasure in being the one to destroy her.

Ava
He came from out of the shadows. A man equipped with such power and arrogance. Calculating eyes that threaten to destroy me, or so I thought.
Alexander Lamont is a man I’ve become complacent around despite being a prisoner in my own life of lies, deceit and betrayal. I underestimated him until he became my only chance at surviving a past I didn’t know existed.


*Can be read as a standalone.
**Series must be read in order.



SINFUL ADDICTION by Cole J Powell
Lamont Series - Book 2


I was not always this way—a man feeding his demons with addictions, a monster driven by bloodlust. I had a family once, but I chose one above all others to protect from the animals we lived with, and even then, I failed.

Whispers on the street say I’m psychotic, but everyone knows I’m a calculated killer.

Then there’s Lacey. The one woman who keeps my demons at bay. She became my new addiction the moment she walked into my life. With threats from my past returning, I need to stop the same fate from happening to her.

I will not fail to protect what is important to me yet again.





MY ONLY ADDICTION by Cole J Powell
Lamont Series - Book 3



No comments:

Post a Comment