Tuesday, November 16, 2021

INTERVIEW with Sarah Peis


I want to first thank Sarah Peis for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

I love the written word in all forms and shapes and if I'm not glued to a book I'm attempting to write one.

I’m a frequent blonde moment sufferer and still trying to figure out how to adult.

I live in Melbourne, Australia, with my two little humans, the holder of my heart and two furry demons.



When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve always been an avid reader (avid = obsessed) and can’t remember a time in my life when I didn’t read every day. I never thought I wanted to be a writer though.

I just stumbled into it when I set myself a dare to write at least one book in my life. And then I couldn’t stop. Writing is now a really important part of my day. 


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Diana Gabaldon. Outlander is one of my favourite books and I have read it more times than I would ever admit lol. 

I also read and reread Charlaine Harris and Sophie Kinsella.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

I take character traits from people I know, but none of my characters are exactly like a person I know in real life.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Everywhere. Through conversations, spending time with friends, while going for a walk and reading the news. Some great ideas for stories there!


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I always have an outline that I abandon halfway through writing the book.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

No photos, only a written description of what the character looks like. I’m not organised enough to find photos, let alone pin them to a board. Maybe one day…


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

In bed with a cup of tea 😊 But I have two little kids so the last time I was able to just sit in bed and read without fear of spilling my tea everywhere was probably about four years ago lol


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Kristen Ashley, Amy Harmon, Lucy Score, Alexa Martin, Sarina Bowen, Sally Thorne


What are your favorite books by others?

I have a lot of favourites, but some of the ones that I can reread over and over again are Outlander (Diana Gabaldon), Sweet Dreams (Kristen Ashley), The Bird and the Sword (Amy Harmon), Rock Bottom Girls (Lucy Score), Intercepted (Alexa Martin), The Hating Game (Sally Thorne), The Year We Fell Down (Sarina Bowen).


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Not really. As long as it’s an interesting story I don’t mind where it’s set.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Both


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Google lol because it always has an answer.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

I only write under one name and it’s my real one 😊


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Romcom, contemporary romance and soon romantic suspense. 

Love reading in all three genres and I don’t think I’d be suited to suddenly write thrillers since I don’t remember the last time I read one.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I speak three languages (German, Spanish and English), and I’m addicted to cupcakes and ice-cream. 

I once made the foolish declaration that anyone could run a marathon, and that it’s all about mind over body. Which led to me running (and finishing) a marathon a few years ago. 

I have learned nothing from the experience and still make grand declarations that I then have to follow up.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Read as much as you can in the genre that you write in and listen to advice from other, more experienced writers. If you can, find a mentor in your genre.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

Avoidance is the name of the game. Negative reviews really affect me and sometimes even hurt my feelings. So I don’t look at them anymore because I know I’ve given my books everything I had and that’s really all I can do. And everyone has different tastes and opinions and the right to express them. Just like I have the right to avoid reading them 😊


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Letting go. If I didn’t have deadlines I’d be editing my books until the end of time.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Music or absolute silence. I can’t write in front of the TV for example, but will happily churn out the words while rocking out to the Backstreet Boys lol


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Nothing while I’m writing as it breaks my focus to eat or drink anything (read I’m like a possessed robot who stares at a screen and can’t stop typing. Unless a sticky little human interrupts of course). 

But I reward myself with lollies or wine/gin and tonic if I meet a certain word count or deadline.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Kristen Ashley. Absolutely adore her and love her writing.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I usually write in the mornings. I get up at 5am and then write till about 7am (or earlier if my little humans decide to roll out of bed).


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I’ve been listening to boy bands and nineties music lately when writing. But that might change again tomorrow – I switch up what I listen to quite often and don’t have a favorite singer/band (except Queen! I could listen to them anytime, anywhere).


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Lol quite often! I have two big dogs (Milo – a retriever, and Ruby – a ridgeback) who like to demand cuddles when I’m in the middle of writing.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Bad reviews. They never get easier to digest.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Nope, never. But I write happy, fluffy romcoms. Nobody dies in those lol but since I’m dipping my toe into romantic suspense you never know what the future might hold.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Taking a few days off from writing and reading as many books as I can fit in. Because reading is and always will be my first passion. There’s nothing better than disappearing between the pages and diving into a different world.

 I love to hear from readers so feel free to get in touch.

 

I hope that you enjoyed my interview with Sarah Peis!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Sarah Peis!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2023/02/author-at-glance-sarah-peis.html

Make sure to give her a shout-out and follow her on all her social media!

Connect with Sarah:

Email:
sarahpeisbooks@gmail.com

Website:
http://www.sarahpeis.com

Amazon:
https://amzn.to/3oZvGeb

Goodreads:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/18331071.Sarah_Peis

Bookbub:
https://www.bookbub.com/authors/sarah-peis

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/sarahpeisbooks

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/763906994417287

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sarahpeis/

Newsletter Signup:
http://sendfox.com/sarahpeisbooks


No comments:

Post a Comment