Thursday, December 21, 2023

INTERVIEW with N DUNE


I want to thank N Dune for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

N Dune is a British author who lives with her husband and three children in the South West of England. Having spent years ignoring the voices in her head, she is finally letting them out to tell their stories. A true pantser, she allows her characters full rein and takes you on their journey with little control over what they want to happen.

N Dune writes steamy contemporary, fantasy and paranormal romance, often with a dark twist and usually full of angst. All of her books are written, for the most part, in British English, with occasional word exceptions in some.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I have always had stories in my head; characters would talk to me at random moments. I’ve wanted to write them for so long, and when COVID hit and I was unable to work, I finally had the opportunity to let them free.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I wouldn’t say other writers influenced me, but I started reading romance at an early age with Danielle Steele, Catherine Cookson and that sort of book, moving on to Jilly Cooper and bodice-ripping romance, finding the darker books as I got older. 


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

No, my characters aren’t based on anyone, but there might be (I’m not officially confirming that lol) a little of my husband in Jay from Escape Beyond the Tide


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Stories just pop into my head as I’m going about my day; sometimes, it’s when I listen to a song or whilst I’m people-watching, but often they just make themselves known.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I’m character led completely, but when I get a story idea, I often write a few notes on my phone, like a conversation that popped into my head or a brief scene. Sometimes it’s just a word. 


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

It’s usually just in my head. I do look for photos on Shutterstock for my characters, as I make my own graphics. Pinterest is fabulous for inspiration too.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation. What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I absolutely love reading, I’ve always got a book on the go. I often curl up on the sofa with a blanket and the fire lit in the winter and read. Or I sit in bed and read. 


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Now, that’s a tough one, as I have so many authors who I love.  

Harleigh Beck is one of my favourites for angsty, dark romance, and she has some erotic horror books too, which I have in my TBR.  

I love Nicci Harris and Leslie Luckie, Carian Cole, and Bea Paige, and most recently, I’ve been on a cowboy binge with Elsie Silver’s books. 


What are your favorite books by others?

Another tough one, I’m a mood reader, so whatever I’m reading at the time is usually my favourite book (if it’s a good one).  

I would say Her Way by Nicci Harris,  

Cautious and Conditional by Leslie Luckie,  

Touched by Sin by Harleigh Beck,  

Burn for You by Anna White,  

Diondair by Louise Murchie,  

No Tomorrow by Carian Cole and  

Freestyle by Bea Paige.  

Honestly, I could list so many more, and I can’t decide which one of the Chestnut Springs books by Elsie Silver I liked the most, so I’ll just say all of those.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

My books are all based in the UK, but my Beyond the Tide trilogy is based in Cornwall, and I absolutely love Cornwall. It has a piece of my heart.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I write from the main character's POV. So, in my MF books, you will get dual POVs from the male and female characters.  

In the second book of my Trust in Magic series, you have four POVs as that one is MFFM, so there are four main characters.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

The internet is definitely my best research tool


Do you write under a pen name? Also, do you write under more than one name?

I write under one pen name for everything. 


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write multiple genre’s so I have no preference. I do enjoy Paranormal Fantasy because I can let my imagination go wild with that. But I write whatever my characters want me to write.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing. Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I have a part time job, I teach people to swim. Mostly adults with some form of water anxiety but I also help adults improve their strokes and I do have some children’s lessons. Watching someone start to swim and enjoy the water when I’m teaching them gives me a huge buzz. 

I also have three children, two are adults now and one is still in school.


If you are a duo writing team, how do you share the writing process?

Just me and my characters


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Just keep writing; no matter what it is, let your words flow.  

I would also say get an editor or wait until you can afford one before you publish.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

Once my ARC reviews are out, I try not to look at reviews unless someone contacts me or sends me a link to a good review. There will always be people who don’t like your books as they aren’t for everyone, but there is no need for us as authors to know about it. So, I choose not to read negative reviews because no one needs that sort of thing in their lives.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

I would say the self-edits, editing and reading the same book over and over again. But I also find the constant need to market my books can suck the creativity right out of me sometimes.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Peace and quiet mostly, but I do like a hot drink and snacks.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

I’m a bit of a fan of cake and chocolate, so I do sometimes get myself a little treat to eat whilst I’m writing.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose? And why?

That’s a tricky one because there are so many, but I’d probably say Nicci Harris because we’ve known each other for several years but never actually met. I’d love to spend time with her because she is a genuine and incredibly lovely lady.


What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I have to fit writing around my everyday life, so I grab short spurts of time when I can and if my characters are speaking to me. I love a nice oat milk latte with a dash of maple syrup.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I prefer peace and quiet. If I’m writing in the front room and my husband is watching the television, then I might put on my headphones and listen to something that fits the mood of the book.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

I have two cats, and they are forever trying to climb all over me while I’m on the computer.


What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game?

Marketing that really sucks the life out of me, but also, busy family life can put me off my writing game. 


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

I’ve killed off a character who refused to stay alive despite my best attempts, and once readers read the book, they loved him, and it did upset a few.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I usually hold off celebrating until the book is published, as typing the end is only the beginning of the process to get the book out. My husband always buys me a little bubbly when I release a book and some chocolate.


I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for N Dune!

Make sure to give N Dune a shout-out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with N Dune:

Linktr.ee:

Website: https://nduneauthor.com/

Amazon: https://amzn.to/414a53i

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/21312373.N_Dune

Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/n-dune

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NDuneauthor

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nduneauthor/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AuthorNDune

TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@authorndune https://www.tiktok.com/@nduneauthor

Newsletter Signup: https://nduneauthor.com/newsletter/


My Beyond the Tide Trilogy and my MM Romance, A Bridge to Forever are wide with Draft2Digital so they are on Kobo, Koboplus, B&N, Apple Books, Scribd, Baker & Taylor, bibliotheca, borrowbox, Gardners, Hoopla, Odilo, OverDrive, Palace Marketplace, Smashwords, Tolino and Vivlio.


No comments:

Post a Comment