Sunday, February 20, 2022

INTERVIEW with AMANDA UHL

 

I want to thank Amanda Uhl for taking the time for this interview!

BIO:

Award-winning author Amanda Uhl has always had a fascination with the mystical. Having drawn her first breath in a century home rumored to be haunted, you might say she was "born" into it.

After a brief stint in college as a paid psychic, Amanda graduated with a bachelor of fine arts in theatre and a master's degree in marketing.

Over the past twenty years, she has worked as an admissions representative and graphic designer, owned her own freelance writing company, and managed communications for several Fortune 500 companies, most recently specializing in cyber security.

Amanda is an avid reader and writes fast-paced, paranormal romantic suspense and humorous contemporary romance from her home in Cleveland, Ohio.

When she's not reading or writing, you can find Amanda with her husband and three children, gathering beach glass on the Lake Erie shoreline or biking in Cuyahoga Valley National Park. 


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I never knew I wanted to be a writer. Growing up, I wanted to be an actor not a writer. So, I graduated from Kent State University with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in theatre. But in the process of earning my degree, I discovered I didn’t actually enjoy being on a stage. What I enjoyed was telling a story. 

After graduation, I got a job in the corporate world developing marketing and communications materials, and eventually, earned an MBA in marketing. I worked in this field for many years, but something was always missing. 

I longed to write a story, and not just any story, but romantic fiction, where the heroes and heroines take center stage, and despite the obstacles in their path, always find their way to a happy ending. 

So, I set aside my doubts and fears, dug deep for courage, and began typing my debut novel, Mind Waves. This led me to signing my first contract and publishing my first book in Oct. 2016. Mind Waves went on to place in five romance writing contests!


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Like most writers, my first love was reading, not writing. I used to walk to the book mobile, which rolled into our small town every two weeks. I always checked out the maximum number of books—fifteen. I would read all fifteen books well before the bookmobile rolled back into town and was always eager for more. 

In my book bag would be books by Marion Chesney and Georgette Heyer. Later, I discovered Jayne Anne Krentz and devoured her work, especially when she wrote her futuristic romances as Jayne Castle. (I met Jayne not long ago, and she was as nice as I’d always imagined.)


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Yes, absolutely. Writers draw from real life, and I am no exception. 

However, I often don’t know when I’m basing a character on a real life person until the book is complete.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Everywhere. The Mind Hackers series was inspired by my work in a cybersecurity department and from spending time on the Lake Erie shore searching for beach glass. 

Charmed By Charlie, my contemporary, was drawn from my time working in the advertising department of a roof coating manufacturer shortly after college.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I do now! When I first started writing, I did no plotting and lots of rewriting. Now I put much more time in plotting the story before I start writing, which saves rework later. 

One of the main plotting techniques I use is to determine the main characters’ internal and external goal, motivation and conflict before I begin. 

I also write the back cover blurb, which helps ensure I have all of these pieces in place before I begin.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Yes, this is where Pinterest is a great tool for writers. 

I always make a book board and pin photos of the main characters as I envision them. This helps me solidify their image in my head and bring them to life on the page.  https://www.pinterest.com/amandauhlauthor.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Reading is definitely one of my favorite ways to relax. 

But I also love looking for beach glass on the Lake Erie shore and riding my bike in the Cleveland Metroparks. I also enjoy watching (and analyzing the plot) in lots of Netflix series.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I am constantly discovering new authors to read. For instance, I just read a book by new-to-me young adult romance author Jennifer L. Armentrout and loved it. 

I also read a fantastic dystopian four horseman of the apocalypse series by Laura Thalassa. 

On the contemporary romance side, I really enjoyed reading the debut novel, The Love Hypotheses, by Ali Hazelwood.


What are your favorite books by others?

I enjoy classics, such as Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen, and Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

If you are talking about my stories, the answer is yes. I usually write about what I know, so I will have visited the place I’m writing about. I set all my books in Cleveland, Ohio, where I live.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I have done both, but generally write in a multiple point of view.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

The internet for sure. As writers, we are so lucky to be able to search and find anything we want to know using a computer.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

I do write under a pen name. Amanda is my middle name and Uhl is my mother’s maiden name. 

I only have one pen name at the moment but would consider using another if I wrote something different than what I’m writing now.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write romantic suspense with a paranormal twist and contemporary romance with small town heart. 

I like to write paranormal because I’m a bit “paranormal” myself. And I grew up in a small town and have small town values, which I love to center my stories around.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I can read palms, interpret dreams, tell your fortune, read handwriting, hypnotize you…I think you get the picture.  😂

I am also number 14 out of 15 children—all from the same parents, and yes, all single births.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

“Creativity takes courage. Don’t give up.” This is my motto, which I had engraved on a bracelet, and wear to remind myself. 

Also, have faith and believe in yourself. If you don’t believe in yourself, who else will?


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

It’s not fun, but I remind myself it’s one person’s opinion and writing is subjective. What one person loves another hates. 

I do read all reviews and seriously consider the negative ones to see if there is anything of value that will help me improve. This has helped me grow as a writer.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Plotting. I don’t enjoy it. I’m an intuitive writer, and if I plot too much, it takes all the joy out of the process. However, plotting is critical to a great story, so I am learning how to balance the two.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Not much. I do not get easily distracted and can write almost anywhere. When at home, surrounded by family, I find it helps to plug in my headphones and listen to music.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Chocolate chips—a little bit of chocolate powers my writing. 😋


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Hmmm…just one? 

I’d probably choose Jayne Anne Krentz because I’ve met her, and she is likable. I also think my writing is similar to hers.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I work full time outside of writing, so I’m generally writing late at night. I try to keep a word count of 500 words a day. That may not seem like much, but it is plenty after working a full day at a demanding job. 

I don’t have a favorite writing snack, but I do like a cup of hot cinnamon tea.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I do listen to music. I like to listen to upbeat tunes on Spotify from a variety of artists.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

I don’t have any pets, so that’s not an issue for me.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Stress from my day job. It is hard to write when you are mentally drained.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

No, I haven’t done this…yet. (Cue wild maniacal laughing.) 😁😁😁


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

With a deep breath and an exciting thrill in my veins. 

When I’m writing, I don’t get to read as often as I’d like, so usually I celebrate the ending by reading a book. And I have an even bigger celebration when I sign the next contract, because that is the most challenging part of the publishing process.

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!


Check out all my interviews/reviews for AMANDA UHL at one glance!

Make sure to give Amanda Uhl a shout-out and FOLLOW her on all her social media!

Connect w/ Amanda!

Email: amandauhlauthor@gmail.com
Website: www.amandauhl.com

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/amandauhlauthor

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1968453683426411

Amazon:
https://amzn.to/3AcgYTd

GoodReads:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/15698518.Amanda_Uhl

BookBub:
https://www.bookbub.com/authors/amanda-uhl

Instagram:
https://instagram.com/amandauhlauthor

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/AuAuthor

Pinterest:
https://www.pinterest.com/amandauhlauthor

Newsletter Sign-Up:
https://amandauhl.com/social-media/


1 comment: