Friday, February 18, 2022

INTERVIEW with KL STEPHENS

 

I want to first thank KL Stephens for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

A diehard romantic at heart and believes in the happily ever after. When not working on her next story, she can be found reading (probably other smutty romances), cooking, or gardening.

K L Stephens writes hot, smutty romances, that feature possessive alpha male heroes and the sassy smart women they fall for.

 

When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I used to make up stories when I babysat as a teenager. As well as being an avid reader. 

I started writing stories in middle school and continued into my adulthood.  

2000 I researched becoming an author for Harlequin, but it just was not the right time.  About a year in a half ago I started writing my first short story that is published on Amazon. 


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Phillipa Carr / Victoria Holt was who I read through out middle school and junior high.  I also loved the writing of Judy Bloom.  When I got older Julie Garwood and Catherine Coulter were my favorites. Of course, Jane Austen, I have read all of her books at least forty or fifty times each.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

There may be some characteristics of people I know thrown together in a character or two, but I do have solely based a character off any one individual.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

It could be a line I have seen or heard in a commercial or television program or even read.  It may just give me an idea for a story. Then some come from real life. Or I just may dream of it.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

Once I have an idea for a story, I just let the characters lead the way or tell me what is going on.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

When I get an idea for a book, I usually go to Shutterstock to look at pictures to find the hero or heroine.  Then that is who I picture while I am writing.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I have several, crafting, and cooking. I love to craft during the holidays and finding new recipes. But just turning on my Pandora Music and reading is also good. 


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I just recently discovered Jenika Snow and found her books to be wonderful.  She is really the reason I decided to venture into the paranormal world. A few others are Cameron Hart, and Liz Fox.


What are your favorite books by others?

I would say Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, is my all-time favorite. I loosely based my Bennet’s Series off of that book.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

There is a honky-tonk bar in my first series called Renegades. It was based off a place I used to go dancing, with very fond memories.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Multiple, I like giving my readers different points of view. But I will have a book releasing this year that will be a single POV, but I am not ready to give anything away just yet.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Google! It is right at my fingertips as I am writing.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

Yes and no, K. L. Stephens is my real initials and my real last name.  When it came time to make the decision, I thought about a couple of different pen names, but I liked having some adaptation of my real name.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Paranormal is what I am currently writing, and I am loving it.  Because I can let my imagination run.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Set a budget for editing.  I was not having my books edited when I first started, and it was a mistake. With that in mind, talk to a few editors, and give them samples of your work, see how they work with you and your writing style. 

Don’t listen to everyone telling you how to write your story.  It is your story; you write what you want. 

Figure out the way of marketing your books that works for you.  I am still learning this, and I have had some tell me the way they do it, but I look at the ways that work for me.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

With my first books, which were more short stories, it used to bother me as if I had failed in a way. Then someone said you can’t please everyone, and to just let it go. So that is what I try to do.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

If I am not feeling the story or the characters are not talking to me. I don’t want my books to feel forced.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

My headset with Pandora Music playing in my ears.  The minute I put on my headset, everything outside of my space melts away.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Towards the end of the day, if I am still writing, a glass of Sangria!


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I try to write when the house is quiet.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I have mentioned a couple of times that I listen to Pandora Music, I have a couple of stations set up of just instrumental music that I listen to.  I cannot write with singing throws me off.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Of course, I live in a house with four dogs. So, at times the barking will interrupt my train of thought.  Or when they are looking to be fed, then I will not be left alone until I do.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Interruptions, someone just abruptly talking to me or loud talking around me. Then there is the barking of the dogs.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

I haven’t killed anyone yet.  Give me time.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

A big glass of Sangria!

 

I hope you've enjoyed this interview as much as I have!

CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING INTERVIEW!
THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - The Lycan Knights Series

Make sure to give KL Stephens a shout-out and FOLLOW her on all her social media!

Connect w/ KL:

Website:

Facebook:

Amazon:

GoodReads:

BookBub:

Facebook:

Instagram:

Twitter:

Newsletter Sign-Up:


No comments:

Post a Comment