Tuesday, June 4, 2024

INTERVIEW with EMILY FOXX


I want to thank Emily Foxx for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Australian Romantic Suspense Author
 
Mother, Wife and Romance Book Lover
 
Emily has loved to read since she was little. She particularly loves suspense stories. Then E. L. James' Fifty Shades came into the book world, and reignited the desire to read romantic suspense.
 
It was from there her passion for writing came about eight years ago when two women encouraged her to join their role playing group on Twitter.
 
Later the same year, she created the characters, Emily Moore and Rick Marshall, with her husband, Rick.
 
It's what brought her author career to life, and she adopted the name of Emily, then Emily Foxx pen name, was born.
 
Apart from writing intriguing love stories. In her spare time, she would be found reading a book or adventuring outdoors. But mostly devoting her time to her husband and family.

 

When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I have love to read books since I was little. Never did I believe one day, I would write my own stories, then back in early 2015 at the time of FSOG popularity … E L James reignited my love for romance with suspense after I learned my favorite actor Jamie Dornan was playing Christian Grey.

Then two ladies on Twitter from a role-play group asked if I wanted to join their group. I had fun writing in the role-play group, but it wasn’t until later in the same year I wrote a story with my husband, and that is when I fell in love with writing. Also, I met some other writers who helped me in the beginning: Ashlee Shades, Ardent Rose, Felicity Brandon, July Cummings and Nia Farrell. I’m grateful for the help in the beginning.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Yes. 

Janet Quin-Harkin – Sugar and Spice Series

Kevin J. Anderson – Science Fiction specifically The X Files

Jackie Collins – Hot romance of the eighties and nineties

E. L. James – Fifty Shades

Sylvia Day – Crossfire series


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

My characters Emily Moore and Rick Marshall from Em’s Secret are close to my heart, because my husband and I created those characters. They embodied some of our characteristics.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Romantic Suspense. I love the element of surprise. It’s what draws me to write damaged or broken characters. I like the element of BDSM stories too, but mine is more about the romance.

One time … I was exercising and listening to "Blank Space", a Taylor Swift song, in early 2016, when I first started writing other stories. It was an inspiration. I had a story idea for a broken-hearted woman who wanted revenge, but that all changed when a new man came into her life.


Do you have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I do both because generally when the characters speak to me they don’t always stay within the outline, lol.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

My muses is David Gandy, Henry Cavill, Jamie Dornan, Shay Mitchell, and Margot Robbie.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation. What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Music, watching sports, and reading.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Sylvia Day


What are your favorite books by others?

Too many to mention.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Yes. Some stories are located where I live.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Multiple POV


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Google, but when it comes to location it’s best to get the details from a local.


Do you write under a pen name? Also, do you write under more than one name?

Yes. I only have one.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Romantic Suspense. I pretty much answered this earlier.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing. Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait... what led to you being you?

I have a learning disability and I was taught reading books would help me to better understand comprehension. I consider writing stories an accomplishment.

Apart from writing I look after my daughter who has an intellectual disability. 

I worked in administration for years and I was a swimming teacher when my children were younger.


If you are a duo writing team, how do you share the writing process?

Only with my hubby in the beginning, but when I published our story, I had rewritten it myself.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Be prepared to work hard.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

That’s a hard one but I am learning to process it better. People are always going to have their own opinions of your story, regardless of how successful the story is.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Editing. I am not good with grammar.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Music.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Cappuccino


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose? And why?

Sylvia Day and E L James because it was her stories that led me here.


What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

As above.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Eighties, and nineties music. Groups: NKOTB and 5 Seconds of Summer. And of course, Taylor Swift … as mentioned above.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

No. I rent, we are not allowed pets 😞


What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game?

Depression


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

No


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Weeks break from writing.

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Emily Foxx!

Make sure to give Emily Foxx a shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!


Connect with Emily:
 
Email: mailto:emily@emilyfoxxauthor.com

Linktr.ee:


Amazon:

Other Retailers:
Apple  |  B&N  |  Kobo  |  Smashwords

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook:

Instagram:

X:

Pinterest:

Newsletter Signup:

No comments:

Post a Comment