Thursday, February 10, 2022

INTERVIEW with VT DO

 

I want to thank VT Do for taking the time for this interview!

BIO:

V.T. Do is the author of angsty contemporary romance books.

She currently lives in Colorado. When she's not spending time working on her upcoming books, you can find her talking to herself, arguing with imaginary characters (hence the talking to herself part), daydreaming, hunting magical creatures, in search of her next caffeine fix, and reading obsessively over dirty-mouth, bad boys from steamy, smutty romance books.

 

When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I think I have always wanted to be a writer. I can't think of a time in my life when I didn't want to be a writer. I remember when I was 10, after watching Peter Pan for the fiftieth time, I went ahead and wrote a Peter Pan fanfiction. It was pretty bad, but it was something I'd spent the entire year working on. 

Unfortunately, my family moved that year, and I lost all of my work during that move. I was pretty devasted and hadn't attempted to write anything until I was eighteen. 

I wrote three complete manuscripts that will never be published out into the world before I finally wrote my "debut" novel in 2019, Ugly, Beautiful Mess, and I've been writing ever since. 


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I didn't have any influencing writers growing up. Unfortunately, I didn't read a lot as a child, something I wished hadn't been the case.  I didn't start to read until I was about 16 or 17. 

The quote: "Everyone is a reader... some just haven't found their favorite book yet," always resonate with me, and that book happens to be The Dark Divine by Bree Despain. Once I picked up her books, it was like a lightbulb had gone off in my head. 

It's funny, I don't remember my exact age that year, but I do remember having read 72 books by December. 


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

My characters are based on everyone and no one in my life. They are unique in their own right, and I think that's the best way to go because then they can start to take on a life of their own. However, I do draw inspiration from the people in my life. 


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Usually, I get my inspiration when I'm doing the most random things, like driving or working. It's great because I have like two dozen novel ideas right now, but I'm always carrying around some notebook and a pen so I can write it down; otherwise, I won't remember. 


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

Oh, I admire anyone who can wing it or let their characters lead. I wish I could do that because creating outlines is probably my least favorite thing to do. But I need to outline my stories before writing, or my first draft is just one big confusing mess. 


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

No, I don't really. I like for my characters to speak to me. Usually, if I have their names made up and a clear understanding of their personalities, their appearance will form in my mind.  It's not perfect, and often, they do look similar to a certain celebrity crush or male model, but it's never the same. 

I feel like if I have a cheater photo, I wouldn't think of my characters as my own, but as that person I am using for inspiration. 


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation. What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Read, read, read, and watch 90's sitcoms. Oh, and read some more. 


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Oh, gosh, I have so many. 

There's Laylah Roberts, Colleen Hoover, Vi Keeland, Stephen King, Cora Reilly, Amy Daws, Lucy Score, Julie Garwood and so many more. 


What are your favorite books by others?

Oh, no, you're asking me all the hard questions, huh? I can't pick. It's like asking a mother to choose who their favorite child is. 

Impossible.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Yes, the locations in my books are places I have never been to and places I would love to visit one of these days. 

I grew up in Colorado, and it's pretty much all I've ever known. I hope to change that someday.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I write in dual POV. 

I love reading dual POV in romance because it's not always easy for me to understand characters' motives, so it's nice to get inside their heads. I want to give my readers the same experience. 


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Reading and Google. It's true what they say about writers and Google. My search history is very... interesting. 


Do you write under a pen name? Also, do you write under more than one name?

I write under my own initials, so kind of, because not many people know my "real" name, but this is my name. 


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write contemporary romance, and in a few months, I hope to publish my first dark mafia romance novel. 

I write in these two genres because it's the genre I enjoy reading the most. 


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing. Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky traits... what led to you being you?

I have a degree in psychology. I find this area of study absolutely interesting, and I hope to learn more in the future.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

"You do you." 

This is what I always tell people, especially aspiring writers. I have changed manuscripts and characters before that I've come to regret because of what someone once said about me and my writing. 

Write what you love and write what you want.  


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

Everyone always said to develop a thick skin and let the negative review slide off your back, but it's not that easy, and I don't have thick skin. And that's okay. I just have to remind myself that this is what I love doing. What I am passionate about. I sincerely can't see myself as anything other than a writer. So I think it's okay that I don't have thick skin because I'm still doing what I love at the end of the day. 


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

The outline. 

I usually have a pretty good idea of where I want my stories to go; the problem is always getting there. But once I have that all figured out, everything else just falls into place. 


What do you need in your writer's space to keep you focused?

Coffee and warmth. I swear, I get colder than the average person, and if I'm not comfortable, I can't write. Other than that, I can pretty much write anywhere.  


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Hmm, I don't really have one... should I find one?


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose? And why?

Oh, how can I answer that?! There are just so many to choose from. 

Can it be anyone dead or alive? If so, I would pick Agatha Christie because I love her novels, and I imagine she would be a very fascinating person to converse with. 


What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I usually write in the morning, except for when I am on a deadline. Then I'll be writing, on and off, all day if my schedule allows it. 

I don't usually eat anything, but I drink either coffee or tea when I'm writing.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

No, I can't concentrate on my writing with music playing in the background. 


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

I don't have any pets. I want one, though. Just gotta figure out how to take care of myself first. 


What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game?

YouTube. 

I try not to get on it when I need to focus, but sometimes I find my mind drifting, and I'll go on YouTube and look up animal videos. 


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

No, I haven't. 

I once read somewhere that a character's death has to either mean something or enhance the story in some way. Otherwise, you're just killing the character for the sake of killing the character. I guess I haven't found a reason in my stories yet.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

By watching 90's sitcoms. 

I'm currently watching Step by Step, which I love, but I don't always have the time to watch it due to deadlines and whatnot.


I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Make sure to give VT Do and shout out and FOLLOW her on all her social media!


Check out all my interviews/reviews for VT Do!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/09/author-at-glance-vt-do.html


Connect with VT:

Email: v.tdo26@gmail.com

Facebook:

Amazon:

GoodReads:

BookBub:

Instagram:

Twitter:

Newsletter Sign-Up:



No comments:

Post a Comment