Thursday, December 15, 2022

INTERVIEW with MEG BECKER


I want to thank Meg Becker for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Meg writes the spicy romance with happy endings. She resides in Kansas City with her amazing husband that is nothing like the broody men she writes about in her books. She's a sucker for a happy ending, and she can often be found reading with an iced coffee or glass of red wine, quite possibly both.

When she's not reading or writing spicy romance, Meg is likely learning a new hobby, cuddling with her two dogs and cat, or performing the soundtrack to RENT from behind the steering wheel of her car. During football season, she puts down her pen every Sunday to cheer for the Kansas City Chiefs.



When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I was in the first grade, so I would’ve been six years old. Our teacher gave us an assignment to watch this soundless movie about a little boy that becomes friends with a snowman that melts when he eats soup and write the story, and I remember doing that and saying “I’m going to write books one day.” 

Since then it’s been the dream. It took a lot of snowball effect events and a best friend putting a bug in my ear to get me to write that first novel, but it has really felt like a dream come true to write novels and hold them in my hands (or even more surreal, seeing them in the hands of others)!

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Not really, but I had really encouraging teachers. There was one teacher in high school that I was pretty close to. She wrote (maybe still does write) novels, and I remember thinking that was so cool. I carried that with me through college and even into my adult years.

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

There are some characteristics of my characters that are based on some people in real life – like the fact that Jules (The Butterfly Effect) takes tequila shots with lime but never with salt, it’s based on a few friends. 

I did base one character off of a really bad boss I had, down to the smallest detail. I changed her name, but sometimes I wonder if she would recognize it was her if she were to read the book. 

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

I always think this one is difficult to answer as a spicy romance author, but really, I get inspiration from a lot of places or interactions! 

Most of the time I think of something and find myself wondering what would happen if I took essentially ordinary people and put them into risky situations – like the one-night stand with your new boss, and then I like to see where those moments take me (and I leave the doors wide open along the way).

 

Do you use a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I outline to a fault sometimes, I swear. I make outlines for my outlines some days, but almost every single character pushes my buttons and fights me, so my story changes a lot along the way. When that happens, I update my outline. 

It helps me feel like I have some semblance of control over my story (even though I know I don’t).

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Yes! I’m a big fan of stock photos and Pinterest for inspiration. When it comes time to actually show visuals of the characters, they get changed, but I like to visualize them when I’m describing my characters during the planning process.

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I do love to read, but I’m also a big fan of crafts. 

I preserve and display insects (think like frames on the wall similar to museums), but I also love to do things like cross-stitch, watching football with my husband and our friends, and reminding my fur-babies that they’re perfect by giving them a lot of attention.

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I love to read Shain Rose, Greer Rivers, Victoria Ashley, Amanda Richardson, Sara Cate, Sadie Kincaid, and so many books by some great friends and authors! My list is constantly growing!

 

What are your favorite books by others?

This question is impossible to answer because I love so many of them. 

Anything by Shain Rose gets devoured in an afternoon it seems, so really, you can’t go wrong with something on her list.

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Not particularly, but they mean something to my characters. Once in awhile if I need a place and there isn’t anywhere standing out, I’ll pick somewhere that means something to a friend or family member that will read my book. Then it’s like a little surprise for them.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I write in multiple POV! I love seeing both sides of the story. I want to see them pine after each other while simultaneously wondering if the other feels the same, and I want it from both sides. Sometimes one side of the story just doesn’t cut it.

 

What do you find to be your best research tool?

Pinterest, and Google. Maybe even Twitter.

 

Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

I do not. I write proudly under my name. 

There were several points when I thought about a pen name, but I just didn’t love any of them enough to really write it in cement. So, I stuck with my name. 

Will I release some other works under a pen name in the future? It’s possible, but at this time everything I write is published and shared as me, Meg Becker.

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write contemporary spicy/erotic romance. 

I love the tension, slow build, sappy moments, and the always pined for happy ever after, but I want all of that littered with a lot of spice. I’m a sappy romantic at heart with a dirty mouth, so it just comes naturally to me.

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I graduated with a degree in creative writing with the intention to write horror and work in editing, but I didn’t even remotely think that I’d be writing spicy romance (and I work in construction administration during the day). 

Looking back at my work from then, it had an underlying smutty feel to it, so maybe not as surprising as it could be. Shout out to Mom and Dad for supporting that degree, though, huh?

 

If you are a duo writing team, how do you share the writing process?

N/A – Really I just argue with my characters.

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Write the book. Don’t wait until you feel like you’re qualified to do it or until you think it’ll be a bestseller. Just write the book. 

You can’t improve a book that hasn’t been written, and sometimes I wish I’d written my first book earlier. I don’t regret anything about my author/publishing journey, but I spent too long telling myself that I wasn’t capable of or good enough to write a book. I was so wrong!

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

It depends. I try to have thick skin, but it’s hard sometimes when you put something out there that you’ve put so much time and effort into. 

If it’s a constructive review, I will take that feedback into consideration on my current/future books, but sometimes people just leave mean reviews. I ignore those. 

Really, I remind myself that my books aren’t for everyone, and for every person that didn’t enjoy it, there were several people that did.

 

What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

I think the most difficult part is hurting my characters! Sometimes it has to happen for the sake of the story, but good lord, I cry every single time. I hate hurting them (even if they deserve it sometimes).

 

What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

A timer and music. I am a big fan of setting timers to force me to focus, and I always need music. Does it happen every time? Not even kind of. There are the days I really need to focus though, and on those days, I bring out the timer and turn up the music.

 

What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Oh gosh, I have to work to keep myself off social media, especially Twitter and TikTok! I rarely succeed in keeping myself off Twitter.

 

If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

I think this is a difficult one to answer because I want to say “all of them!” 

I think that I’d probably want to spend a day with Sara Cate. She just seems like such a great person, I’m sure she’d be a blast. Plus, I love her books, but I think that goes without saying.

 

What is your schedule like when you are writing?

I usually write in the evenings during the week and in the morning or afternoon on the weekends. I do write every day, or almost every day. There are definitely weeks where I write a lot more than others.

 

Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I’m an iced coffee drinker, but it’s not unheard of in my family to have several beverages. I have been known to write with a cup of ice water, an iced coffee, and a can of sparkling water, and still say yes if my husband offers me a glass of wine. 

When it comes to snacks though, I love them but don’t eat many when I’m writing. I get too distracted and forget it’s there.

 

Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I listen to music that fits the mood of whatever I’m writing! It’s a mix of songs that my characters would like or that would fit the general mood or theme of a specific scene. 

If I’m editing, I usually listen to something calmer and more instrumental, but when I’m writing the book, I like anything I can sing along to. It gets me out of my head and lets my characters take the space.

 

Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

If you ask my cat (Penelope), she’d tell you she wants at least 30% credit for my novels. Especially on those late nights when my husband falls asleep on the couch in the other room, Penelope will make her way into my office and settle herself between my keyboard and the edge of my desk.

 

What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Social media. Not just because it’s a distraction, but because I spend so much time comparing myself to other authors. 

I don’t think I’m the only one either, or that it’s limited to authors, but I will start comparing myself to people who have been publishing for 5+ years and doubt myself. 

So I try to avoid social media, while also being equally distracted because I follow so many amazing indie authors and don’t want to miss a thing! It’s a double edged sword.

 

Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

I actually just did this! Gosh it was devastating! 

It wasn’t a main character, but it was one of those characters that you can’t help but love. I cried the entire time I wrote it. I’m sorry.

 

How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Usually by going to bed because every time I type “The End” it’s the middle of the night, but then the next day I reward myself. Usually that reward is margaritas and chips and queso with my husband.

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Meg Becker!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/12/author-at-glance-meg-becker.html


Make sure to give Meg Becker a shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Meg:

Linktr.ee:
https://linktr.ee/authormegbecker

Website:

Amazon:

Goodreads:

Facebook:

Facebook Group - Meg Becker's Bookish Babes:

Instagram:

Twitter:

TikTok:

Pinterest:

Newsletter Signup:


No comments:

Post a Comment