Sunday, June 18, 2023

HOW TO WRITE A BOOK REVIEW

 


I woke up and was compelled to write a post about writing a book review. I know...weird, but I've been called worse 😂

I have recently started a publishing company (Rottie Books) and building an ARC team. It bothers me when someone takes the time to leave a book review and just states "I liked this book." Why bother? So I wanted to share my process in writing a book review.

 I would love for you to leave a comment and especially would love to hear from the authors whose books I have reviewed because like authors love feedback on being a better writer, I welcome any suggestions to be a better reviewer.


Who are the main characters?

What are their names?
What is their occupation?
What about the locale?
Does the story take place in the city, the mountains, or a ranch?


What is their meet-cute?

Personally, I think that is a very weird term, but whatever. How did they meet?

 Were they introduced by friends?
Blind date?
Dating app?
Nightclub?
Ran into each other in an elevator?
New boss?
Coffee shop?
Vacation?
Kidnapped? (I know, not cute.)
Sibling best friend? 

You get the point...how did they run into each other? It could be quite literal.


What is the conflict they must overcome?

Give a small synopsis of the story without giving away any spoilers. Sometimes anything I can say is a spoiler and so just introducing the main characters and how they met is all you can write without telling the story. 

Bad date?
Alphahole boss?
Kidnapped?


Finally, what did you like about the story?

Again, without giving spoilers. And that is sometimes very hard. 

Not every book is everyone's cup of tea and it's okay not to like a certain genre or writing style, but NEVER attack an author. Artists take critique to heart so be nice! I know. For those not aware I am a jeweler and mixed media artist. So words hurt...and you start doubting yourself. It is heartbreaking to hear an author doubts they should be writing after getting bashed in a review.

And yes, authors are artists. They just paint with words. If you just HATE the book...you think it totally sucked...don't leave a review. Why be mean? If you received a review copy and can't say anything positive contact the person who sent you the book and let them know (nicely) why you can't leave a positive review. 

If you have received an ARC (advanced reader copy) it is probably still in the editing process so don't expect it to be without errors. Don't base your review on editing or spelling issues. 

I have read reviews where the reader is nitpicky about the details. Hello, it is fiction, fantasy and reality adjacent. Of course, you would run in the opposite direction as fast as you could when seeing some of these anti-heroes but do take into consideration that the books AREN'T BASED ON REALITY!

I have built friendships with authors who write dark romance, Daddy Dom romance and truthfully kinks that are beyond my concept, but that doesn't mean I don't love the storyline and characters. I had a reviewer who didn't like the punishment in a BDSM club...again, reality adjacent. And if you can't separate fiction from reality, then don't read that genre. 

You want to criticize a book? Join a book club, but don't bash an author and their writing in a review. Sorry, didn't mean this to become a soapbox moment 😬

I read...a lot...so I take notes as I read so when I turn the last page I can review my outline before sitting down to write my review. I have read & reviewed close to 700 books in the last three years and have come a long way in my writing reviews. I can look back at a review I wrote a year ago and picture the characters and storyline. This comes in handy for me when it is a series and the characters and storyline carry over to another book in the series. 

The point of a book review is not to tell the author's story, but to give a reader a reason why they want to read that book...and I hope that my reviews have led someone to get a book. If one person gets a book that I have reviewed then I am happy...my job is done 😍

But, coming back to the original point of this post...if you are taking the time to leave a book review on Amazon (or other retailers), Goodreads or Bookbub, take the time to say more than "I liked the book."



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for such a thoughtful article. You put so much time and effort in reviewing books and sharing your process. As an author I grow from reading reviews, good and bad. So thank you for helping me grow as an author and person.
    Hayson x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your books are wonderful and I hope my review leads a new reader your way!

      Delete