Thursday, June 1, 2023

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - IF JELLY BEANS WERE KISSES by Virginia Barlow


THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY
If Jelly Beans Were Kisses

 

Get a behind-the-scenes all-access pass to Virginia Barlow's If Jelly Beans Were Kisses, part of the Jelly Beans & Spring Things multi-author series!


***Synopsis***

The series focuses on spring love. They are all novellas celebrating spring and love.

Jillian Anderson and her partner are ambushed by a drug cartel, killing her partner and wounding her. The story opens at the funeral. Three of Jill’s co-workers blame her for her partner’s death. Her new partner, Zach Tillman has her back and teams up with her to find out who sold them out to the cartel. They find a voice-activated recorder under the seat of Jill’s partner’s car and realize someone has been listening in.

Suspicious of all men following her recent divorce, Jill is attracted to Tillman but vows to keep him at a distance. As they hunt down the responsible party, they discover a web of deceit beginning with her ex-husband, and her sister, who cheated on her prompting her divorce.

Jill lowers her defenses the more time she spends with Tillman. After another attempt on her life, the sergeant orders Jill to desk duty until they find the leak.

Ambushed in her home by the killers, Jill leaves an SOS made of jelly beans for Tillman pointing him in her abductor’s direction.

As things heat up, Jill gets free as Tillman rushes to the rescue. Together they find their happy-ever-after and solve the mystery of her ex-partner’s killer.

 

What is the sub-genre and trope? Did your characters lead you to this genre or was that decided before the story began? 

Sub-genre Romantic Suspense, Tropes, Friends to lovers, forced proximity,love triangle, quest/journey, professions, revenge, second chance, suspects, stalker, violence, woman in peril, workplace


Are you more character or plot driven? 

I am definitely plot driven


With many main and secondary characters, how do you keep them separated in your mind? Do you have a story/vision board above your workspace? 

I make a movie in my head, and it plays while I write.


I know from previous interviews that characters take on a life of their own. Were any of the characters in this series determined to take their own direction instead of where you initially wanted them to go? 

Yes, the romantic encounters between Jill and Tillman took on a life of their own.


Are any of the male POVs based on anyone you know? 

All the male POV’s are fictional.

 

Are any of the female POVs based on anyone you know? 

I have known a female or two who act just like the female antagonist in this story. So, she’s a mix.


Was there any one character/scene that was harder to write about than the other? 

I have a hard time writing scenes about cheaters because I know the pain involved.


I know that we aren’t supposed to have “favorites” as far as our children, but seriously, who’s your favorite character and why? 

I truly enjoyed writing this book. To date, I wrote this story faster with less need to edit than any of my other stories. The words flew and I typed.


Series question - Who is your favorite couple and why did you decide on their dynamics? 

My favorite couple is still Reese and Shanna in A Fallacious Seduction because there is so much misunderstanding and mistaken views on both parts. 

They can’t get away from their attraction no matter what they try. I love this story.


How do you get inside these characters’ heads to find their perfect HEA? 

I put my head in their physical shoes. It helps if you make a personality chart and then review every interaction to make sure they stay true to character.


What scene in this book sticks out the most for you? Why? 

The scene that sticks out the most is the memories of their ambush. I had to picture the warehouse and how is all went down.


Series - Were any of the books harder to write than others? 

This is the only book I’ve written for this series so far. I have another one planned and it’s coming together quite nicely in my head.


This question is if you write in MULTIPLE POVs not just the hero and heroine - I love the multiple POVs in a book. It’s not just the hero and heroine, but we get inside the heads of multiple characters throughout this series. I feel that it gives the story further depth. Do you think you will write another book or series following this multiple POV outline?

Yes, I will. I love this series because of the potential.


How long did it take you to write this book? 

This story took me two weeks to write. And it was fun.


How did you come up with the title for your book? 

I think about what’s happening in the story and name it accordingly. 

Zach had a traumatic experience in his youth and his grandma gave him jellybeans whenever he felt bad. He shares the memory and the candy with Jill as they partner together to find the leak.


If you met these characters in real life would you get along? 

Yes. They are people I would like to hand out with.


If your book/series were made into a movie, which actors do you see as playing your characters? 

The actress I would pick for Jill is Jessica Alba. I love her work. 

For Tillman, Joe Manganiello would be perfect.


Can you give us a hint as to what we can expect next? Whether a new book and series or a sequel to an existing series? Can you share a small tease? 

I have a new book coming this holiday season titled Once Upon a Christmas Castle. It is part of a the new Christmas Castles series with The Wild Rose Press.

 

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Virginia Barlow!



BIO:

I have always loved reading romance novels. I used to sneak them from my mom’s room as a young girl and read them while she was gone. As I grew older, my reading and tastes expanded to sci-fi, dystopian, paranormal, and fantasy.

 I considered becoming an author in my late twenties but as a busy mother with toddlers, I didn’t have the time. Later, in my fifties, I decided to give it a try and have enjoyed every word of it since. I recently signed my thirteenth contract and am doing my happy dance as I type this. 

My husband of forty-one years is my greatest support as are all my kids. Most of them are grown and carving out lives for themselves. They are the beat of my heart and with every grandchild, the rhythm gets stronger. I enjoy every moment of my life.


Connect with Virginia:

Linktr.ee:

Email:

Website:

Amazon:

Barnes and Noble:

Kobo:

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook Group:

Instagram:

Twitter:

TikTok:

YouTube:





If Jelly Beans Were Kisses by Virginia Barlow
part of the Jelly Beans & Spring Things multi-author series

Jillian Andrews enjoys being a detective with the Dallas Police until a drug cartel wounds her and kills her partner. Blamed for the incident by fellow officers, Jill discovers a voice-activated recorder in her car and smells a setup.

Detective Zachary Tillman, Jill's new partner, has her back while his manner and nearness send heatwaves through her recently divorced sworn-off-men heart and body.

Together they have to find the mole before any more cops die. As the attraction between them escalates, so do the plans of the villain who wants her dead.



Check out the complete Jelly Beans & Spring Things Series
https://amzn.to/3qdLgDw

No comments:

Post a Comment