Thursday, June 29, 2023

INTERVIEW with AMELIE S DUNCAN

 



I want to thank Amelie S Duncan for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Amélie S. Duncan, an introvert and a passionate, creative writer. Her books usually vary from erotic billionaire age-gap D/S, enemies to lovers, friends to lovers, sports, nerdy rom-com, dark psychological suspense, and coming-of-age. Her unique artistry of interlacing multiple themes in her books never fails to enrapture the reader’s attention.


Duncan aims to take her readers on memorable journeys and immersive tales through her dynamic characters that will tug at one’s heartstrings and leave readers breathless. Her knack for crafting spellbinding stories will make one believe in Happily-Ever-Afters.


Currently, she is living with her doppelganger personality and an awesome golden retriever Rosco on the West Coast of the US.



When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I didn’t know I wanted to write. I always enjoyed telling stories to my friends.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I read a lot of books and I’m inspired by what I read. The biggest part of my life was walking into a library. I still get chills every time I go inside one. 

I’d always take out the maximum allowed. Wizard of Oz, Peter Pan, I loved fantasy. 

As I aged, I loved Beverly Clearly, Judy Blume, and S.E. Hinton. I read The Outsiders for an entire summer.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

A lot of the characters are lightly based on people in real life. Some in passing.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Mostly music, movies, a funny post, a crazy conversation, watching people. Everywhere.


Do you use a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I write down the character backgrounds first and then I write a starting outline.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Sometimes I go to Pinterest and pick photos from there.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I find reading relaxing, movies, TV, sleep. I also like spending time with my awesome dog, Rosco.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I don’t have a favorite. There are so many great writers out. I feel lucky right now at all the options.  


What are your favorite books by others?

That’s such a long list. I’d be here all day. I find so much to enjoy in almost every story I read.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Yes. Most of the places I have been before. If I don’t, I find someone from there to interview as well as research.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I write in both single and dual. Presently, single. I enjoy writing single the most.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Online or asking questions.


Do you write under a pen name? Also, do you write under more than one name?

Maybe


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write romance because I enjoy reading romance. I love reading about characters fall in love.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing. Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I’m an introvert and socially awkward. I find it hard to share my personal life. I’ve traveled and lived a lot of places.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Write because you love it. Listen to what you write.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

I feel sad, but at the same time, I feel the exposure is good. What one person doesn’t like, another person will.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Getting started, rewriting, letting go.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Music.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

I don’t know. What’s naughty?


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose? And why?

I probably wouldn’t chose to do that because I’m way too shy and I wouldn’t know what to say. I love the mystery.


What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I like coffee and toast.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Yes. Beatles, Wings, Lennon, Psychedelic Furs, Roxy Music, love my 80’s. Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Siouxsie, and Adele.  


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Yes. Rosco, my beautiful Golden Retriever is always around. I often stop to play with him.


What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game?

Bad news. Any intentional way of hurting someone.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Yes


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I don’t really celebrate. I usually go over all the notes I have made through the story, and then I start listening to Chapter 1.


I hope you enjoyed this interview!
Check out all my interviews/reviews for Amelie S Duncan!

Make sure to give Amelie S Duncan a shout-out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Amelie:

Linktr.ee:

Email:

Website:

Amazon:

Apple Books:

Barnes & Noble:

Kobo:

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook:

Instagram:

TikTok:


No comments:

Post a Comment