Tuesday, June 20, 2023

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - SECURITY FORCE OF TWO by Tena Stetler


THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY
Security Force of Two

 

Get a behind-the-scenes all-access pass to Tena Stetler's Security Force of Two, book one of the Mountain Town Mysteries Series!


***Synopsis***

Miacoh Zane, a Special Forces veteran, returns to Aspen Ridge, Colorado a small town nestled in the Rocky Mountains, to settle his beloved grandmother’s estate. But the town holds painful memories and family secrets he wants to leave behind for good.

Candle Bearclaw, a gifted computer analyst/programmer with talents she’s buried when recruited out of college by the CIA. After fifteen years, she abruptly resigns her position with the agency. She returns to her sleepy hometown only to discover her childhood crush has also returned and a violent crime has been committed.

Due to their covert operations experience, Candle and Miacoh are thrown together to assist Homeland Security, FBI, and her father, former chief of police, with a murder investigation. As they search for the perpetrators, will their secrets be revealed as the investigation takes an unusual twist that could blow the case wide open.

 

What is the sub-genre and trope? Did your characters lead you to this genre or was that decided before the story began?

Paranormal Mystery/Romance 

This was a manuscript that spent several years on my computer in note form. 

See what happened was: Several years ago, I attended my first writer’s conference. I had lunch with Deb Dixon from Bell Books Publishing House. She was a hoot and talked about her father who was the chief of police for a small town. Growing up in that small town she knew everybody’s business more than most, being the chief’s daughter. Nothing really bad ever happened in her town.

Our conversation got me to thinking, which is always a dangerous thing. LOL What if?..and  several scenarios came to mind. The what-ifs went on and on. I made notes and stored them on my computer. 

I arrived home from the conference to an email informing me my debut novel, A Demon’s Witch, I was pitching at that conference, was contracted by another house, The Wild Rose Press, which has since published eighteen of my books and counting. In my excitement, the file was completely forgotten. Funny how things happen. 

A while back, I came across the file and reviewed it. SECURITY FORCE OF TWO was born. I keep thinking, someday I should drop Deb an email and let her know our conversation inspired my new release. Then again, maybe not. LOL


Are you more character or plot driven?

I’m a punster and my characters drive the story. Sometimes I have a little control, others not so much.


With many main and secondary characters, how do you keep them separated in your mind? Do you have a story/vision board above your workspace? 

I use Scrivener and have a 5 page Character worksheet on each one. Especially when I am working on a series.


I know from previous interviews that characters take on a life of their own. Were any of the characters in this series determined to take their own direction instead of where you initially wanted them to go?

Security Force of Two not so much. But I am working on the second book in the series and the characters are determined to take their own direction. 

They are forever running amuck. Which is the reason it’s taking so long to complete this second book. <shakes head>


Are any of the male/female POVs based on anyone you know? 

Not really. But in the book there is a couple that owns a kennel that Candle gets her puppy from, and it’s loosely based on a kennel I got my dog, Mystic from.


Was there any one character/scene that was harder to write about than the other?

No. The characters in Security Force of Two were actually quite cooperative.  The exposition scene took me a while to get all the elements right.


What is your favorite book in the series? 

So far this is only one in Mountain Town Mystery Series. Security Force of Two. LOL


I know that we aren’t supposed to have “favorites” as far as our children, but seriously, who’s your favorite character and why? 

Candle. She’s a free spirit but denies it, claims her mother is the free spirit in the family. LOL


How do you get inside these characters’ heads to find their perfect HEA? 

Seems the characters are always chattering away in my head, telling me the way the story has to go.


What scene in this book/series sticks out the most for you? Why? 

The explosion scene – because it was tough to get right. And when Candle picks up her puppy.


Series - Were any of the books harder to write than others? 

This second book in the series is turning out to be tough. I didn’t anticipate it, but it addresses a situation that is very important.


This question is if you write in MULTIPLE POVs not just the hero and heroine - I love the multiple POVs in a book. It’s not just the hero and heroine, but we get inside the heads of multiple characters throughout this series. I feel that it gives the story further depth. Do you think you will write another book or series following this multiple POV outline?

Security Force of Two is not multiple POV’s but the second book in the series is. Maybe that’s one of the reasons I’m having such a tough time with it.


How long did it take you to write this book/series? 

I had the notes for several years, but when I finally decided to write the book, it was only  three to six months, which is average for me.


How did you come up with the title for your book and series?

Security Force of Two just popped into my head as I finished the final draft. The series is because I have a few planned mysteries set in mountain towns, thusly Mountain Town Mystery Series. LOL


If you met these characters in real life would you get along? 

Yep.


Series question – Did you know in advance that you were going to write this as a series or did one of the characters in book one demand their own story? 

My demanding, pushy characters, Cayson and Molly insisted on their own story. As it turned out, Molly has a very interesting and controversial story to tell.


If your book/series were made into a movie, which actors do you see as playing your characters? 

That’s a hard one, since the couple on the cover is the ones I envisioned when I was writing the book.


Can you give us a hint as to what we can expect next? Whether a new book and series or a sequel to an existing series? Can you share a small tease? 

Yes, my next book, Raven’s Hollow Spring Magic comes out July 20, 2023, it is at stand alone but set in the same town as Meringue Snowflake Magic with a lot of the same characters in a new adventure.


Check out all my interviews/reviews for Tena Stetler!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/06/author-at-glance-tena-stetler.html



Tena Stetler is a best-selling author of award-winning paranormal romance/mystery with an over-active imagination.  She wrote her first vampire romance as a tween, to the chagrin of her mother and the delight of her friends. Colorado is home; shared with her husband, a brilliant Chow Chow, a spoiled parrot and a forty-five-year-old box turtle. When she’s not writing, her time is spent kayaking, camping, hiking, biking or just relaxing in the great Colorado outdoors.

 Her books tell tales of magical kick-ass women and mystical alpha males that dare to love them. Travel, adventure, magic, and a bit of mystery flourish in her books along with a few companion animals to round out the tales.

Connect with Tena:

Website:

Authors’ Secret’s Blog:

My Say What Blog:
http://www.tenastetler.com/category/my-say-what-blog/

Amazon:

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook Page:

Instagram:

Twitter Page:

Pinterest:

Tribber:

Tumblr:

LinkedIn:

Newsletter signups:




Security Force of Two by Tena Stetler
Mountain Town Mysteries - Book One


Miacoh Zane, a Special Forces veteran, returns to Aspen Ridge, Colorado a small town nestled in the Rocky Mountains, to settle his beloved grandmother’s estate. But the town holds painful memories and mystical family secrets he wants to leave behind for good.

Candle Bearclaw, is a gifted computer analyst/programmer with psychic talents she buried when recruited out of college by the CIA. After fifteen years, she abruptly resigns her position and returns to her sleepy hometown to discover her childhood crush has also returned and a violent crime has been committed.
Due to their covert operations experience, Candle and Miacoh are thrown together to assist Homeland Security, FBI, and her father, the former chief of police, with a murder investigation. As they search for the perpetrators, their secrets risk being revealed as the investigation takes an unusual twist that could blow the case wide open.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Tena! Sounds like a fantastic story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Tena. This book is waiting for me on my TBR list. I hope to start it soon.! All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by Barbara! I know you’ll enjoy the fun mystery time travel book!

    ReplyDelete