Monday, September 27, 2021

INTERVIEW with DARIA LOSHLIN

 

I want to first thank Laria Loshlin for taking the time for this interview!


Bio:

I’m a stressed, blessed mom of boys.

I was born and raised in the south; sweet tea and Jack Daniels flow through my veins thicker than blood.

Sarcasm is my love language, and fuck is a sentence enhancer in my vocabulary, not an expletive.

I’ve been happily married to my best friend for the better part of two decades--recently stopped regretting the decision.  Though he does still test me.  Lol. 

During the day, I am your average mom and wife.  Then by the light of the moon, I’m transformed into a racy romance novelist bringing all the fire you can handle with book boyfriends as strong, dark, and deliciously unhealthy as my drinks.




When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?


When I was around 12. I loved writing short stories and poems. 


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

The classics. Austen, Neitzsche, Tolstoy, Eyre, Bronte…

The list goes on and on.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

My female characters but not my male. 


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Music and life. 


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I let the characters lead the way. It’s their story I’m just telling it.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Nope, I just create what comes to me. That would make things a lot easier though. 


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Reading, and drawing while listening to music.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

There are so many it would be unfair to name only a few. 


What are your favorite books by others?

No Tomorrow by Carian Cole, Sick Fux by Tillie Cole, Fractured Minds by Nikki J Summers, Poker Face by Lindsey Powell… again an unfair question I’ve read so many brilliant books recently.  


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Nope, I created the location.

The state(s) mentioned and colleges are the only factual locations. 


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Multiple POV


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Google. Lol


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

Yes and Yes.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Contemporary Romance


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I have two kids, married to my best friend for the last eighteen years, and I can’t write without lollies. They help me focus. Lol


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Don’t give up.

It seems overwhelming but in the end, it’s worth it. 


How do you deal with and process negative book reviews?

Don’t read them.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Editing. 


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Lollies and sharpies. Weird combination, I know. But I tend to stop and doodle when I get stuck then go back to writing. 


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

I don’t have any. 


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose? 

Tillie Cole. She’s freaking amazing!


What is your schedule like when you are writing?

The middle of the night because I find it difficult to have a moment alone during the day, but it’s every night.


Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

Tootsie Pops, and Venti Mocha Cap with a white chocolate drizzle from sbx. 


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I do listen to music when I write and it depends on my mood, it ranges from classical to death metal. 


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Yep, my cat loves to sit on my keyboard when I’m writing and refuses to move. 


What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game?

Tiktok. Lol.

My procrastination is my biggest issue. 


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

I don’t know. I guess we’ll see. 😂


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Absolutely!

A bottle of wine, face mask, hallmark flicks, and Mexican food. Chips & Queso are life. 


Connect w/ Daria:

Email:

No comments:

Post a Comment