Wednesday, September 22, 2021

INTERVIEW with EVEN MONROE



I want to first thank Even Monroe for taking the time for this interview!


Bio:

About a year ago, during the depths of COVID lockdown, time was put to good use, and Even Monroe came to life.

Creative writing has been a lifelong passion.  Even’s first prize was earned in grade school but probably had the ending “and then I woke up, and it was all a dream.”


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve always wanted to write, and I used to win prizes for creative writing in primary school.

I think my family was surprised when I went into a very different profession, but I’ve found my way here, and I feel like all things happen at the right time.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Yes!  I am a voracious reader and always have been.

I used to love Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl, RL Stein.

I started reading about relationships in LJ Smith’s books and then gravitated towards that.

I was super into literal bodice rippers, in my teenage years.  Not too many corsets or pirates in my current fare, but I do have a soft spot for it!


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

They certainly are!


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Lots of memories or little things that have happened in my life or in that of friends and family, pop up in the books.

I like to revisit memories and then play them differently, explore the sliding door possibilities, see where that takes me.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I am a planner.  I like to have a framework, think about a few locations and then let the characters explore that world and see where they take me.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

I haven’t so far, but I’m thinking I might start a Pinterest board or something like that for the next series and see if it makes any difference.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I’m a huge reader.

I also like to bake and spend time with family and friends.

I also find writing really relaxing, it’s the opposite of a chore.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I have so many favorites.  I often have a couple of books on the go.

I’ll limit myself to six.

Mink, TL Swan, Ella Frank, Nikki Sloan, Lauren Blakley, Alice Clayton.


What are your favorite books by others?

Penny Reid’s Beard books are great.

I love Kevin Kwan’s Filthy Richa Asians, Wallbanger by Alice Clayton, Push by Nyla K.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Yes, I’ve lived or travelled to many of them.

I like to revisit things through my stories.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Multiple POV for the Rich City Boys series.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Reading as widely as possible.

Trying to get as much knowledge about my characters and their lives as possible, so that’s meant reading about all sorts of jobs and professions, hobbies etc.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

Yes, I write under a pen name and now, just the one.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Contemporary Romance, its probably what I most like to read, and I’m most comfortable exploring in my writing.

Maybe that will change one day.  I used to write more in the science fiction space.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

When I was in school, maybe in early high school, I really wanted to read romance books and borrow them from the library but I was too scared of being caught so I used to sneak them out.

I wasn’t a book thief, I always returned them, but I felt it was the only way to het get my hands on contraband sexy books.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Write as much as you can.

Read as much as you can.

When you can’t write, read.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

It's hard to be honest, you can't be all things to all people, but I think growing a thicker skin is something that will happen over time.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Finding the time!


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

I love a new candle for each book, its become a bit of a thing now.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Ignoring things I don’t really care to do, like laundry or vacuuming.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Jolie Vines – she’s killing it and I love her work.  She seems to have lots of interesting ideas and I think he’s great at the marketing side.  She also seems like a really fun person.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

Peppermint tea at night and coffee in the daylight.  I might also have the occasional glass of red wine.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Sometimes, I get distracted by words, so often quiet piano, or some sort of relaxed vibe.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

No, my dog spends the day in the yard.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Stress and tiredness are killers.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Not yet!


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I get in touch with my beta readers and see if they can fit me in for a read!!

Keep the momentum going.



I hope that you enjoyed this interview as much as I did!  Make sure to follow Even on all her social media!


Check out my review of the following Even Monroe books!


Connect w/ Even:

Email:
authorevenmonroe@gmail.com

Website:
www.authorevenmonroe.com

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/even.monroe.5

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/authorevenmonroe/

Amazon:
https://amzn.to/3mOSwB6

GoodReads:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/21757868.Even_Monroe

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/authorevenmonroe/



Start the series now!
Available in Kindle Unlimited!

No comments:

Post a Comment