Thursday, September 23, 2021

INTERVIEW with XAVIER NEAL

 

 
I want to first thank Xavier Neal for taking the time for this interview!


Bio:

Xavier Neal is a best-selling romance author who enjoys hopping from sub genre to sub-genre like a game of Hopscotch she can't resist.

In between writing, she loves to read (everything from romance to self improvement books), watch movies (old and new), eat too much Tex-Mex (her Chuy's t-shirt collection is out of control), and watch AHL hockey games LIVE (preferably against the glass whenever possible).

She currently resides happily in Texas with her bearded husband "Lumberjack”.



When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I have loved telling stories since before I could write them.

I loved acting out stories with my Barbies and love telling stories to the kids in my neighborhood.

As soon as I learned to write them down, I just never stopped.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Not exactly?

I learned to appreciate some of the classics for the way they used certain symbols and color schemes sometimes to convey things and I let that carry over as well.

I love some of the classic stories that many of my favorite 90s/2000s films were based on.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Constantly.

From annoying random people they run into, to the leads themselves sometimes.

Everyone is fair game to me lol


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Everywhere to put it bluntly.

I find it while watching Tv, hearing a song, seeing someone on the street do something, a random person I met at the grocery store, a dream I had.

I find and pull constantly.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

Characters always lead the way.

I LIKE to go in with a storyline or a direction, but on more than one occasion, actually more often than not, they just sort of burn down what I plotted and create something more amazing.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Sometimes?

Sometimes I can’t think of anyone they would resemble if they were to “Star in a movie”.

But for those that do have inspiration people/actors/celebrities looks wise, they go on their Pinterest board.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I do love reading in the bath.  That’s definitely one way.

My favorite way is to go to our beloved movie theater (the one we got married in) and escape to a story on the big screen.

It recharges me in a ways that are hard to describe.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

So sooooo many, lol.

K Webster who is a friend is also one of my favorites.  She’s amazing.

JR Ward is definitely amazing and a woman I admire.

Theodora Taylor is also quite amazing with her work.

I’ve also been dabbling into a series by Samantha Cayto that I’m enjoying.


What are your favorite books by others?

Too many, lmao.

I am a pretty open reader when it comes to everything.

I PREFER more romance at the front lines though.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Quite often.

Some are based on places I’ve visited.  Some are based on places my friends/fam grew up.  Some are spins on where I’ve grown up and traveled to.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Dual POV, first person.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Sadly the internet, lmao.

I google a lot and often and search for truth in what I searched. 

I also have a wide variety of real life people who can connect me to things or other people for particular subjects.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

I do not.

I only write under my real name.

It was a promise I made to myself and something I always wanted.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Romance.

Romance and many of its subgenres.

I love to tell a good love story.

I love, love and different types of people and situations being shown that no matter what happens YOU can have love and are worthy of it too.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

Lol um life?

I am a bundle of bubbly do thinks because they make me smile.

I LIVEEEEEE to laugh so most of my life revolves around doing that or enjoying things/people that make do that.

And probably why I love it my writing so much.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Always remember WHY you write and let that be your beacon.

No matter the answer, hold on tight to it, and let it guide you through the rough and ever changing waters.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

I used to freak out a lot.

Now, I acknowledge them.

Remind myself of wise words from an author I admire “that is reader space” and move on.

Because that IS reader space.  And their feelings belong there, but those feelings can’t follow me to my writing space.  They don’t belong there.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

The pressure I put myself under.  But I know without it, I would work as hard as I do.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Water and the internet, lol.

I like to stay hydrated and I love to look up little details for visual aids or having the right character information at my fingertips.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Every book has a different craving attached to it.

I crave it the entire process or writing and editing it and then once it’s sent off to the editor for revisions and cleaning, the craving dies, lol.

Sometimes it’s food based off the book or in the book.  Sometimes it’s a drink.  Sometimes it’s a topping or a whole meal.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

JR Ward.

She’s just such an intense and funny and up front woman.

I attended a teaching she did and was just blown away.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

Schedule is a funny word, lmao. 

Books vary. 

Sometimes I shell out words best for them super early in the morning, sometimes super late in the afternoon into the night. 

Just varies.  Like I said above snacks and drinks also vary from book to book.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Not while I write but on writing breaks or in between books/edits. 

Yes.  No favorite type.  Like reading, I love all types.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Just when they’ve met the end of their life. 

I did need time to handle those things. 

Normally, my pets just want a little bit of moments here and there which they can have when I need to stretch my legs anyway.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Not vibing with something.

Feeling like I’m forcing what I’m doing. 

When that occurs, I have to put to rest what I’m working on and recenter and hear what voice is loudest.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Multiple times and they do still talk about it, lol


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I don’t personally use that phrase but at the end of a first draft, depending on what time it is we go to dinner.  (I’m not cooking after slaving away all day, lol) 

At the end of the 2nd draft same thing. 

And for release same thing.  Dinners out together (me and the hubs) are easiest because we eat and I unplug and really focus on life outside of the keyboard.


Check out all my interviews/reviews for Xavier Neal!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2023/09/author-at-glance-xavier-neal.html


I hope you enjoyed this interview as much as I have!  Make sure to give Xavier and shout out and follow her on all her social media!
 

Connect w/Xavier:

Website:

Facebook:

Twitter:

NL Signup:


No comments:

Post a Comment