Saturday, October 16, 2021

INTERVIEW with KC POITRAS


I want to first thank KC Poitras for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

K.C Poitras is a mother, grandmother, and author from North Port, Florida. K.C was born and raised in Virginia and moved to Florida seven years ago. Where she feels at peace by the sea. Before she turned to writing, K.C worked for over thirty years in the customer service industry. For many years K.C suffered from crippling anxiety, and the thought of writing among other things, overwhelmed her.

Then she met Eric, her very own "Day One" and everything changed. Inspired by her true-life love story, K.C wanted to share the knowledge that it is never too late to start over and learn that a person is worthy of love. Age is not a hindrance to a happily-ever-after and it does not matter what struggles have been faced, there is always time for a fresh start. Many of the scenes in K.C.'s series are inspired by events that happened in her life, and her story comes from the heart. Her fiancé, Eric, is her biggest fan, and without his unflagging support she would never have started the crazy and wonderful journey to becoming an author. K.C.'s debut novel, You Taught Me What It Feels like to Fall in Love is the first book in her Day One series. K.C.'s stories are wonderful beach read romances with all the feel of Elin Hildebrand, or Kristen Hannah.

When she is not writing, K.C loves riding her beachcomber with Eric, and her friends, or tackling a new and challenging recipe in the kitchen. She loves to cook, host, and entertain and would be lost without her friends and neighbors. Her house is always one step away from a new look thanks to K.C.'s love of decorating and remodeling. K.C will continue to work on her series with the trials, love and joys in her life providing constant muses for new ideas.



When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve always wanted to tell my story from when I was young. It wasn’t until much later in life, I was faced with the opportunity.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Elin Hilderbrand, Jennifer Weimer, Kristen Hannah have always been my favorites.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

All of them have a piece of real life people I know or of myself.

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Sometimes, it’s simply while talking with Eric, (my significant other) we’ll be relaxing, chatting by the pool and he’ll come up with an idea.

I have approximately 8 book idea’s and because of our talks, 2 books have evolved that were not even on the list.

A lot comes from moments I’ve had or experienced. 

 

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I don’t, I have a beginning, middle and end. Most often I create my characters after that. I talk a lot with my husband and he’s a great influencer of my writing. If I’m stuck he helps get me going. 

 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Yes, right after I build the characters mentally, I look for a matching visual.

 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

The beach is my happy place. It literally washes away all my internal battles. A good book is a close second. 

 

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

There are so many and I appreciate anyone giving it a go. It’s not easy! But the ones that I love and have widened my scope of reading from contemporary romance to multi genre reads are, Stevie D. Parker, Sara Louisa, Wofford Lee Jones, Deanna Martinez-Bey, Ann Rudesell, Valerie Lynn, to name a few. Elin Hilderbrand & Sloane Tanen, are amazing as well. 

 

What are your favorite books by others?

Wounds of Time, Stevie D. Parker, best book of 2021! Liv, turned me on to the world of paranormal, loved it! All the books from the authors I listed above really.

There’s a word for that by Sloane Tanen was witty, hilarious and a great read! As well as Golden Girls, my go to, never to miss a book, Elin Hilderbrand.

 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Yes, it’s almost always on the east coast. Where I was raised or I research a place on my bucket list and add to the characters travels.

 

Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Multiple which drives my editor nuts! 

 

What do you find to be your best research tool?

Google lol

 

Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

Yes, I write under one pen name. No others, that would be crazy hard to keep up with.

 

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Romance, because it’s always been a love of mine to read them and they can be so uplifting, give hope, inspire, and allows the reader to escape when necessary.

I’m dabbling in suspense, I like romance because how can anyone get too much of it 🤣

 

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

That’s a novel all on its own. LOL

I worked in the service industry for most of my career. 

I used to have my cosmetology license in my first life. 

I have 6 grandkids, 4 kids, the last two are boy/girl twins. 

I moved away from my family in VA when I was in my mid-late forties.

What led me to be me, is when I discovered I was a strong person, with no help, no job, no family and supporting twins pre-teens, I survived, I know when I’m in the dirt, or feel nothing can be worse, I know I’ll survive it. That gives me peace.

I’m extremely passionate about everything I care about, be it a clean house to my friends. I’m relentless when things aren’t aligned in my world, to a fault.

 

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Simply write, just let it flow, don’t overthink. Once you’ve got the words out, then go back and start tweaking, changing, building.

Just be you, write for you. If it’s for basic needs of income, get a job. 

 

How do you deal and process negative book reviews? 

I block the person 😈 lol just kidding.

Not everyone is going to appreciate my work, that’s okay, just be a constructive critic, don’t be hateful.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Editing ekkk.

That and gaining an audience, getting recognized out in the world.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Quiet. I like to be alone, I don’t listen to music, or have tv on. I need quiet space and preferably outside near the pool in nature.

 

What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

When I’m stuck I’ll go have a cig! 🤦‍♀️

 

If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why? 

Elin Hilderbrand, because in a time in my life over the past twenty-five years her books inspired me and allowed me to escape to a better place.

She will always be my absolute favorite.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I love early, I do the most writing and best quality from 3:30-4am till about noon. 

Coffee, coffee and more coffee. 

 

Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I do not very often. When not writing I love 80’s rock ballads the most, but love country, hip hop, most any music. Akon and Kid Rock are two of my fav.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Nope, no pets at this time.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

When Eric is off for the day, with his schedule, I don’t write when he’s home. Therefore, sometimes if it’s a few days, it’s hard for me to get back into it.

Putting it off or interruptions from others, if I don’t start early I usually won’t get to it that day. 

 

Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Not yet!


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I have a strong cocktail and celebrate with my significant other and friends, usually a cocktail hour, or Saturday mimosas with the girls.


I hope you enjoyed this interview!  


Check out all my interviews/reviews for KC Poitras!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/05/author-at-glance-kc-poitras.html#more


Make sure to give KC a shout-out and FOLLOW her on all social media!

Connect w/ KC!

Email: contact@kc-poitras.com

Website:


Facebook:

Facebook Group:

Amazon:

GoodReads:

BookBub:

Instagram:

Twitter:

Newsletter Sign-Up:
www.literarydreams.com

No comments:

Post a Comment