Tuesday, October 12, 2021

INTERVIEW with SARAH DARLINGTON

 

I want to first thank Sarah Darlington for taking the time for this interview!


Bio:

Sarah Darlington is a 'sweet-heat' romance author. 

She's passionate about creating sexy, slow-burn love stories that feature strong female leads and the stubborn, alpha heroes who fall in love with them.

If you love romance books, I invite you to escape for a while with one of Sarah's!


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

2008.  In the middle of a crowded movie theater seeing Twilight.

When Edward entered the cafeteria, his first scene, the entire theater of tweens screamed.

I’d always thought about writing, but never had given it a serious try. But that moment made me try.

I wanted to provoke that sort of feeling in my readers.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Rachel Gibson was one of my biggest. Then later Abbi Glines, Jay Crownover, and Colleen Hoover.

 

Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

All of them. I use bits and pieces of myself in every character I write.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Daydreams mostly. I’m constantly in my head, plotting, and composing dialogue. Long before I ever started writing, I did this.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I’m 100% a pantser.

In my head, I plot the basics. Like beginning, middle, end, and character traits.

Then I let the characters lead the way, only slightly nudging them in the direction I want along the way.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Sometimes I pick an actor to inspire the male lead’s looks.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Writing is my escape/relaxation.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I love everything by Alora Kate.


What are your favorite books by others?

One of my favorite series of all time at the Vampire Academy novels.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Yes. Most of my novels take place in Kill Devil Hills.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Dual POV, male/female. All my books follow this format.

It’s my favorite to write and read.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Google.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

I write under my real name.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write New Adult and Contemporary Romance.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I’m a former flight attendant.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Just start.

The hardest part is just starting.

So, ‘butt in chair, fingers on keyboard’.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

Just knowing that I’m not every single person in the world’s cup of tea. Going in with that mindset helps.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

The beginning. Starting something new.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

I love lighting candles. And then complete silence.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Food. But I try not to eat while I write.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Colleen Hoover. She seems so fun! I’d have the best day with her.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?

I write Monday-Friday while my kids are at school.

And my goal is always 2,000 words (polished words) per day.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Nope. I need my silence.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

I have a dog. But no.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Summertime. And the kids being out of school.

I can’t write in the summer. Summer itself is too big of a distraction.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

I have not. I’ve brought some back to life who were thought to be dead.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I start the next novel. It never ends.

 

I hope you enjoyed my interview with Sarah!

Be sure to give Sarah a shout-out and FOLLOW her on all her social media!



Connect w/ Sarah:

EMAIL  WEBSITE

AMAZON  GOODREADS  BOOKBUB

FACEBOOK GROUP  INSTAGRAM  TIKTOK

NEWSLETTER


No comments:

Post a Comment