Saturday, February 5, 2022

INTERVIEW with DARLENE FREDETTE

 

I want to thank Darlene Fredette for taking the time for this interview!

BIO:

Darlene resides on the Atlantic Coast of Canada where the summers are too short, and the winters are too long.

An avid reader since childhood, Darlene loved to develop the many stories coming to life in her head. She writes contemporary romances with a focus on plot-driven page-turners.

When not working on her next book, she can be found with her husband, her daughter, and her yellow Labrador. Darlene’s favourite pastime is taking summer daytrips to the Valley to soak in the small-town feel.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

In high school when I wrote a short story for a project and my English teach told me I had a knack for writing stories.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I always bought Penny Jordan’s novels as soon as they hit the shelves, and reading her books made me want to write my own.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

After writing a book, a secondary character from that book will stand out and their story just starts to unfold.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I have the outline of the story already mapped out in my head and once I begin writing, the details take shape.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I love reading. 

I also enjoy painting and watching movies. 

Hanging out with my family and walking my dog are my favourite ways to relax.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I enjoy so many authors’ books. Too many to list.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

My fictional town of Redford Falls is made up from two places my family regularly visit.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Two POVs – heroine and hero.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

The internet has an answer to every question.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

I write under my own name.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write sweet contemporary romances, but I am adding twists of suspense and mystery in a few books. 

Finding Home Again has lots of twists.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I am organization obsessed. Everything needs to be put in its place, lol.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Research your genre and keep writing until your work is the best it can be.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

I haven’t had a ‘bad’ review, but not everyone is going to like your book, so I just stay focused on the positive comments.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Finding time to write. Daily life is busy and tends to get in the way of writing. If I get two hours a day to focus on writing, then that’s a good day.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

The radio is on in the background, but when I really get into a scene, I block it out. I enjoy all types of music.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

I have a one-hundred-pound Yellow Lab who loves attention, but when I’m writing he tends to snuggle up by my feet and nap.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Marketing and promotion are the worst part of writing. They take a lot of time away from writing, but they are a necessary evil.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I take a deep breath and take a few days away form the computer before returning and polishing my manuscript to send to my editor.


I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Make sure to give Darlene a shout out and FOLLOW her on all her social media!


Check out the following interview with Darlene:

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - Redford Falls Series


Connect with Darlene:

Website:

Blog:

Amazon:

The Wild Rose Press Author Page:

Facebook:

Instagram:


Goodreads:

Pinterest:


1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Deborah, for hosting me and for the fun interview!

    ReplyDelete