Tuesday, April 5, 2022

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - THE PROTECTIVE SERIES by Sandra Jones


THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY
The Protective Series

 

Get a behind-the-scenes all-access pass to THE PROTECTIVE Series by Sandra Jones!

SYNOPSIS:

Ava is a single mother who recently lost her husband. 

Logan is a
mutual friend who helps her put her life back together. He is also a single, divorced father, and a known flirt. 

Ava tries to keep Logan at a distance but soon realizes that he is much more than she ever expected. But Logan is keeping a secret and his ex-wife is intent on keeping them apart.

This is book three in The Protective Series but can be read as a standalone.

Logan and Ava are both side characters from book two - Whatever You Need.

 

What is the sub-genre and trope?  Did your characters lead you to this genre or was that decided before the story began? 

This is a friends to lovers, second chance with a bit of romantic suspense. I got the inspiration to write their story when I finished Whatever You Need.

 

Are you more character or plot driven? 

A little bit of both.

 

With many main and secondary characters, how do you keep them separated in your mind?  Do you have a story/vision board above your workspace?

I write everything down in a notebook, and in the notes app in my phone.

 

I know from previous interviews that characters take on a life of their own.  Were any of the characters in this series determined to take their own direction instead of where you initially wanted them to go?

Yes, after the ending of this book, I thought about writing a story for Logan’s brother, Luke. This will be a tough story for me personally, so I wasn’t sure if I could write it. But I had many readers reached out and ask if he was getting his own book. Some begged me to write his story. Their messages gave me the courage and motivation to start plotting out his book.

 

Are any of the male POVs based on anyone you know?

A few yes. In my first book, Hard to Love, the male lead was based on a man I dated when I was younger. How they meet in the book is exactly how I met him. I ended up making him into the man I wish he could have been. He wasn’t the nicest guy, and was very intense.

My husband swears he is the main character in book two- Hard to Stay. He was the nice guy in book one who got dumped. He did get his HEA in book two, so that made my husband happy.

 

Are any of the female POVs based on anyone you know?

Yes, I have a lot of friends, so it’s easy for me to draw off of their personality traits.

 

Was there any one character/scene that was harder to write about than the other? 

Yes, the prologue takes place at the cemetery. Ava is grieving the loss of her husband. It’s a very raw and emotional scene. The last chapter was also very hard to write because there a bomb dropped at the end that readers didn’t see coming. Everything came full circle, so that made them happy.

 

What is your favorite book in the series? 

That’s a tough question. I love them all, but there is something extra special about Logan and Ava’s journey. You can’t help but fall in love with Logan.

 

I know that we aren’t supposed to have “favorites” as far as our children, but seriously, who’s your favorite character and why?

I would have to say Logan. There is nothing not to like about him. He was so much fun to write.

 

Series question - Who is your favorite couple and why did you decide on their dynamics?

Marco and Amelia. They are opposites attract and their story was different than anything I’ve written. She’s a corporate CEO and he’s a homicide detective. I wanted to write a hero who was confident enough to not be intimidated that his love interest made more money than him.

 

How do you get inside these character’s heads to find their perfect HEA? 

takes time. I start off with interviewing my characters. It helps me get to know them better.

 

What scene in this book/series sticks out the most for you?  Why?

The Prologue, because it’s so emotionally raw. I can visualize it in my head. It’s the type of scene that stays with you long after you are done reading.

 

Series - Were any of the books harder to write than others?

They were all hard for me in different ways.

 

This question is if you write in MULTIPLE POVs not just the hero and heroine - I love the multiple POVs in a book.  It’s not just the hero and heroine, but we get inside the heads of multiple characters throughout this series.  I feel that it gives the story further depth.  Do you think you will write another book or series following this multiple POV outline?

In book one, Whatever It Takes, the prologue is written in the villains POV. It allowed the reader to understand what was going on his head. It definitely added to the story.

 

How long did it take you to write this book/series?

It takes me around six months to write a book.

 

How did you come up with the title for your book and series? 

Whatever it Takes (book one) is a second chance romance. The title is fitting because the hero is going to do whatever it takes to win back the love of his life.

 

If you met these characters in real life would you get along?

Yes, my characters are very relatable and fun.

 

Series question – Did you know in advance that you were going to write this as a series or did one of the characters in book one demand their own story?

After I finished book one, Marco and Amelia’s story kept calling to me. It happens after every story.

 

If your book/series were made into a movie, which actors do you see as playing your characters? 

I don’t watch a lot of TV so that’s a tough one. I would say, Jake Gyllenhaal and Mila Kunis.

 

Can you give us a hint as to what we can expect next?  Whether a new book and series or a sequel to an existing series?  Can you share a small tease?

I currently have two books planned this year. One is a holiday themed book and the other is the 4th book in The Protective Series. Luke is getting his own book and it may be the best one yet.

 


BIO:

S. Jones is a contemporary romance author from Upstate New York. She has a strong passion for writing and reading stories that will rip your heart out before it’s put back together again.

If she’s not buried in her writing cave, she’s usually reading or planning out her next vacation. She loves to travel to different places and spends all her free with her husband, and two college age children.

When the weather permits, you can find her outside walking her golden retriever or enjoying a nice cocktail by the pool. She loves cooking and entertaining for her family and friends.

When she’s not holding a glass of wine in one hand and her kindle in the other, she loves to hear from her readers.


Check out my interview with Sandra Jones!

https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/04/interview-with-sandra-jones.html#more



CONNECT W/ SANDRA:

Email:
authorsjoneswrites@gmail.com



Start THE PROTECTIVE Series now!

Available in Kindle Unlimited!


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09NWGFFXJ




Whatever You Need

Available in Kindle Unlimited!

BLURB:

It’s been seven years since Quinn Walker ended our engagement and left me with a broken heart.

I’ve moved on, married his enemy, and started my own family. Everything was perfect…until it wasn’t.

My new life was a lie, and my husband turned out to be a fraud. The man that I married was now a wanted fugitive, and my ex-fiancé was the cop who was intent on making him pay.

He’s convinced that a simple apology and a dimpled smile is enough to fix that broken heart that he tore apart years ago. I’ll do whatever it takes to keep him at a distance.

Yet, all it takes is one kiss, one touch for me to remember how great our love was before he threw it away. Little does he know that I’m not the young, foolish girl who he left behind.

If he thinks he can waltz back into my life like the past never happened, he has another thing coming. I can accept that fate sent him back to me.

Now, I need to assure my foolish heart that this means nothing.

Whatever You Need

Available in Kindle Unlimited!

BLURB:

A one-night stand wouldn't hurt, right? That's what I told myself while I was stranded at the hotel bar in the middle of a snow storm. I thought indulging in a night of passion with the good-looking detective would be a great idea. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Apparently, seeing him again was inevitable, especially when fate kept putting him in my path.

I didn’t have time for a relationship. I had a business to run and obligations to honor. But as it turned out, resisting him required more restraint than the set of handcuffs that brought us together in the first place.

I convinced myself that it was the perfect arrangement. He wasn’t looking for a commitment and I wasn’t in a position to give him one. That was already promised to someone else.

We might have agreed to keep things simple, but sometimes rules are destined to be broken.

He told me he would give me Whatever I Need. How can I bring myself to tell him what I need is for him to let me go?


Whatever You Want

Available in Kindle Unlimited!

BLURB:

I had the perfect life until tragedy struck, turning my world upside down.

Now I'm focused on picking up the pieces and starting over.

Easier said than done, right?

The last thing I needed was the lingering stare from the sexy-as-sin homicide detective. And those soft touches, making me feel things I wasn't ready for.

I tried to keep things casual, but lines started to blur, and instead of pushing him away, I found myself pulling him closer.

I wanted to pretend that his kisses weren’t bringing me back to life. I tried to hide the smile that would break out whenever he entered a room.

I convinced myself that nothing was happening because he was the type of man a woman like me tried to avoid…. sexy, charming, and way too confident for his own good.

Losing my first love almost destroyed me. I wouldn't survive it a second time.

So, when the unexpected happened, and our relationship was put to the test, I found my newly built life hanging in the balance.

And it might just turn out to be more complicated than I can handle.

Perhaps I should have listened to that little voice in my head after all.

He told me I could have whatever I want, but why does the one I want have to be the one I can't have?

No comments:

Post a Comment