Tuesday, August 29, 2023

INTERVIEW with DEBBY GRAHL


I want to thank Debby Grahl for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Award-winning author Debby Grahl lives on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, with her husband David. Besides writing, she enjoys biking, walking on the beach, and a glass of wine at sunset. Visually impaired since childhood by Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP), she uses screen-reading software to research and write her books.

Rue Toulouse, a contemporary romance set in the French Quarter, medalled as second place in the Readers’ Favorite international competition, and was awarded first place in the Top Shelf Fiction for the Romance category. His Magic Touch, a paranormal romance, is also set in New Orleans. Her latest book, Island Heat, will be released May 1, 2023, and will be the second book in her three-part Carolina series. The first, Mountain Blaze, released November 2, 2020, has received a five-star review from Readers’ Favorite.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

My story is a little different than most. I have a disease of the retina called Retinitis Pigmentosa which causes gradual vision loss. I lost the ability to read in my early twenties, but even when I had sight seeing the printed word was always difficult for me. 

Reading a book would take me twice as long as  a person with normal sight. I became frustrated with this and began to make up my own stories. I recall entertaining my girlfriends on our way to school by telling them my latest story. Today they’re some of my biggest fans. 

Thanks to the invention of computers, I can use screen reading software to write and research my books. Everything I type is read back to me aloud.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I can’t say influencing, but I loved reading mysteries such as Agatha Christie and Ngaio March. And romance -- Johanna Lindsey, Jude Deveraux, and Amanda Quick.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

My first mystery, Decorated To Death, a story set in the historic neighborhood I was living in, is full of characters who are real people. 

In other books, I might combine personalities of friends to make up a character.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

I usually begin with the location. Then I’ll come up with the plot, then the characters.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I’ll begin with the basic plot, but most of the time the characters take over. I’ve had stories where a secondary character ends up having a prominent role.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Not really. But in my contemporary romance, Rue Toulouse, Remi is taken from a much younger Dennis Quaid.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation. What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I love sitting outside with a glass of wine or going for a walk on the beach.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

This would be Heather Graham, Rhys Bowen, Verity Bright, and Danielle Garrett.


What are your favorite books by others?

I have a number of these. And I like to read what I call seasonal books -- ghosts and witches around Halloween, mountains in the fall, and anything that takes place at Christmas. 

I also like stories that have to do with wine vineyards, and those that are located in England or Italy.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Yes. I like reading stories that take place in locations I’ve either visited or would love to visit.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Either visiting the location or reading about it.


Do you write under a pen name? Also, do you write under more than one name?

No.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Years ago, when I began writing, I set out to write mystery cozies. At the time, an editor told me that type of book wasn’t selling, and if I wanted to sell books, I needed to write romance. I thought, okay,I can do this. 

I love both mysteries and romance, so in each of my stories there’s a mystery woven into the plot.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing. Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I have to say adapting to my vision loss has been one of the hardest challenges in my life. But I’ve tried to never let it rule my life. I’m as active as I can be. 

I love being around people, joining groups, shopping with my girlfriends, dancing, and traveling. 

In growing up, my parents never told me I couldn’t do something; they always let me try. 

Now after thirty-three years of marriage, my husband, David, is my rock who helps me through life’s challenges.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Do your research. Readers will catch the smallest mistake, such as if you have a specific building or street, making sure they’re in the right location. 

In writing historical, check to make sure you’re using the correct devices in the correct time period. 

Take online writing classes. I found these to be extremely helpful with beginner writing mistakes. Writers need to learn about tag lines, POV changes, correct punctuation, and grammar, also info dump and character development. 

When you submit your MS, make sure it’s as perfect as it can be. Editors will reject your work in seconds if there are too many mistakes.


How do you deal with and process negative book reviews?

Authors need to learn early on to develop a very thick skin. Each time you send a book out to be published, it’s your baby and you expect everyone to love it, but they won’t. 

I hold my breath each time a review comes in. If it’s good, I jump around clapping. If it’s bad, I stomp about for a while, then move on.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Marketing! I’m not a marketing person, nor do I want to be a marketing person, but if you want to get your book out there, this is something you must do.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

No distractions. I find if I write in the morning, I accomplish more.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Cheetohs.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose? And why?

It would have to be her ghost, but I’d love to find out how Agatha Christie came up with all her plots.


What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

In the morning it’s coffee. If I do write in the afternoon, it’s a glass of red wine.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

No. I couldn’t concentrate with music or the TV on.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing? 

We used to have a little cat who liked to walk across the keyboard.


What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game?

Too many distractions!


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved? 

No, but I’ve read ones who have. I actually stopped reading her books because it upset me so much.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END? 

A nice dinner and a bottle of wine.


I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Debby Grahl!

Make sure to give Debby Grahl and shout-out and FOLLOW her on social media!


Connect with Debby:

2 comments:

  1. Deb, thanks so much for the interview and hosting me today. Best, Debby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome! It was so much fun :)

      Delete