Monday, August 28, 2023

INTERVIEW with LIZ ELLYN


I want to thank Liz Ellyn for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Liz Ellyn nourishes people’s cravings for the irresistible. Like the decadent desserts she delivers, she creates alluring characters deserving of happy endings. 

With degrees in both engineering and law, she argues that the positive energy gained by indulging in one’s guilty pleasure appropriately counterbalances the serious forces of daily life. 

When she isn’t writing or devouring steamy romance books, she spoils her family, including her two dogs, Boomer and Tanner. 


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

It was a long, twisty journey, for me. It started when I was an angsty pre-teen and wrote poetry to cope with feelings. 

Then, high school English turned me off to reading and writing altogether. 

Writing in law school sparked my desire to write, as I fell in love with the power of words. 

Much later in life, I finally found the time and my passion for romance books while I spent years traveling to tennis tournaments with my kids. After reviewing and blogging about hundreds of books, I decided to put pen to paper. It was time for my characters to speak out.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

S.E. Hinton and John Irving were the first two authors that made me think about character development.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Not specifically. But I can’t help incorporating traits of people that admire or quirks that irritate me.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

My current series is based on lawyers in their late twenties forced to consider their careers. My career in law went completely off the rails and I use my characters to play out options of what could have been.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I have a fairly detailed outline as I write in multiple POV. I plan out the entire book and ensure equal time for each character.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Yes, but it might not just be a single person. I might morph two people together.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation. What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I love to sit on the couch, covered up in a blanket, with my dogs beside me, and a spicy hot romance in my hands.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Shayla Black and Lauren Dane


What are your favorite books by others?

I love the Original Sinners series by Tiffany Reisz.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

My book takes place in Chicago, where I attended law school and raised my kids. I enjoy incorporating all the culinary delights the city offers.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I write in multiple POVs as it is my favorite style to read.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Listening to people.


Do you write under a pen name? Also, do you write under more than one name?

Yes, Liz Ellyn is a pen name.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write erotic romance because I love drama, naughtiness, and a great happily ever after.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing. Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

My tagline is to indulge in life’s guilty pleasures. That includes both erotic romance novels and baking. 

I love to bake, even though I’m gluten-free and can’t eat 95% of the desserts that I make. I like to bring happiness to others through my desserts and writing.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Write. Ignore the negative voices. Keep writing.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

I attended hundreds of tennis tournaments with my kids, where we encountered vast amounts of poor sportsmanship and cheating. It is easy to allow such negativity to throw off one’s game and cripple your chances of winning. 

We found that the most powerful reaction was to smile, laugh, and make fun of it. 

Here is an example of what I mean on my Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/CtaBr1_tpan/


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

I find I struggle with trying to complete the first draft as I feel like I’m getting to really know the characters as I write.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

SILENCE


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Coffee, Coffee, Coffee. It’s my vice and I refuse to cut back.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Tiffany Reisz...I would love to talk about writing books that many would find “controversial.”


What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I start my day at 4:00 am. After coffee, working out, and walking dogs, I will focus on creating digital art to prime the pump of my creativity. Then, I get into writing for the day. I never write at night. My brain is mush after 8:00 pm.

Coffee fuels my writing. I’m a grazer when it comes to eating. I often grab a handful of walnuts.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

No. I prefer silence.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

My dogs interrupt me every day. One of my dogs is exceptionally vocal and demanding. He lets me know if I ten seconds late to feed him.


What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game?

My kids. They are and always will be my first priority.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Not yet.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Taking my dogs on an extra-long walk while listening to a good book.


I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my reviews/interviews for Liz Ellyn!

Make sure to give Liz Ellyn a shout-out and FOLLOW her on social media!


Connect with Liz:

Email: lizellyn@gmail.com 

Website:
https://lizellyn.com/

Amazon:
https://amzn.to/3OXyCkP

Goodreads:
https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/103349384-liz-ellyn

Bookbub:
https://www.bookbub.com/authors/liz-ellyn

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520529029

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/liz.ellyn/

X (formerly Twitter):
https://twitter.com/liz_ellyn

Pinterest:
https://www.pinterest.com/LizEllynAuthor/

TikTok:
https://www.tiktok.com/@liz.ellyn

Tumblr:
https://www.tumblr.com/lizellyn

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@lizellynauthor

Newsletter Sign-Up:
https://lizellyn.com
 


No comments:

Post a Comment