Wednesday, August 30, 2023

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - OVERRULING JUDGMENT by Liz Ellyn


THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY
Overruling Judgment

 

Get a behind-the-scenes all-access pass to Liz Ellyn's Overruling Judgment!


***Synopsis***

Ian refuses to allow an explosive night of passion to derail his desire to make partner at the law firm. But, her tempting presence in the office, along with her alluring scent, mocks his resolve.

JD’s the hot art teacher with the body and stamina of a former professional hockey player. He’s a creative master, in and out of the bedroom, who captures the affection of the brilliant young attorney, but he second-guesses if he’s enough for her. 

Sasha won’t settle for less in her career or love life. It’s all or nothing. After a twist of fate and a proclamation of love, Sasha escapes choosing between Ian and JD. The alternative is far more arousing.

With careers in flux and hearts on the line, how will they all find the fortitude to come out on top?


What is the sub-genre and trope? 

Why Not Both, Polyamory Romance, Attorney Romance, Law Office Romance, Former Hockey Romance, Chicago Romance


Did your characters lead you to this genre or was that decided before the story began?

I get so involved with both the characters and plot that I can’t seem to separate the two.


Are you more character or plot driven?

Romance is all about characters and thought must be given for every line of writing. The plot is the fun part like playing a game with the characters. And only the best games excite the reader and keep them turning the pages.


With many main and secondary characters, how do you keep them separated in your mind? Do you have a story/vision board above your workspace?

I keep a running list of all characters, names, and traits to ensure I never refer to a character incorrectly.


I know from previous interviews that characters take on a life of their own. Were any of the characters in this series determined to take their own direction instead of where you initially wanted them to go?

The story had been brewing in my head for a very long time. My characters didn’t deviate much from the original plan.


Are any of the male/female POVs based on anyone you know?

No.


Was there any one character/scene that was harder to write about than the other?

I cried continuously while I wrote one particular scene. Tears clouded my vision and the words appeared blurry on my screen. I felt emotionally exhausted after writing it. I still cry every time I read it.


I know that we aren’t supposed to have “favorites” as far as our children, but seriously, who’s your favorite character and why?

I really don’t have a favorite. 

I wanted to make sure that I differentiated this book from other love triangle novels where one love interest is often a better choice than the other. 

I worked hard to ensure that each character was well-balanced with positive and negative traits.


How do you get inside these characters’ heads to find their perfect HEA?

By the end of the book, it was clear. It’s about what the characters need and deserve.


What scene in this book/series sticks out the most for you? Why?

I can’t actually talk about the scenes that stick out to me most as I don’t want to give away any spoilers.

Instead, here’s an excerpt:

Ian started talking. Of course, he initiated control of the conversation just like he dominated legal negotiations. “We understand that you aren’t inclined to choose either one of us. We aren’t pressing you to do that now.” The tenderness in Ian’s voice and the concern in JD’s eyes alarmed her.

Sasha’s chin began to quiver as a feeling of doom swept through her. Tears welled up in her eyes. “Are you both here for closure’s sake?”

“Fuck no!” JD swore, clasping her hand more securely. “I have no desire to end things with you.”

A tear slid down her cheek. Sasha started biting her lip. Did JD think she was going to choose him over Ian? Her head started to spin. Nausea brewed in her belly.

Ian leaned in closer. “Neither of us wants to end things with you. Well, I suppose our case is a little different.” Ian extended an open hand. Her free hand itched to reach out and accept Ian’s offer. Uncertainty made her hesitate.


This question is if you write in MULTIPLE POVs not just the hero and heroine - I love the multiple POVs in a book. It’s not just the hero and heroine, but we get inside the heads of multiple characters throughout this series. I feel that it gives the story further depth. Do you think you will write another book or series following this multiple POV outline?

I can’t imagine writing any book that doesn’t have multiple POV. I love multiple POVs in books that I read.


How long did it take you to write this book?

I did the bulk of the writing during NaNoWriMo. The editing process after I started working with a professional editor took months. 

I had a very steep learning curve as my background is math as I got my B.S. in engineering. I learned a ton from my editor. Honing the craft has been a great experience.


How did you come up with the title for your book?

The words overruling and judgment have legal meaning and two of the characters are lawyers. 

The subject matter of the story is about standing up to how others judge them and defying expectations. 

My original working title was Screw Expectations, but apparently, Amazon frowns on titles with the word Screw. LOL


If you met these characters in real life would you get along?

My characters could drink me under the table. I doubt I could keep up. I would love to hang out with them. I feel as though I already have during the writing process.


Series question – Did you know in advance that you were going to write this as a series or did one of the characters in book one demand their own story?

This is a stand-alone book. For now.


If your book was made into a movie, which actors do you see as playing your characters?

Sasha is a 27-year-old Russian woman, with long wavy brown hair and average height that can be serious and sport a delightful smile. ...Alexandra Daddario from Baywatch

JD is Irish, 6 feet, and built like a professional hockey player with flo-style hair. He has a calm expression. ... Miles Teller from Top Gun

Ian is a tall, Irish, athletic man with slicked-back hair and a serious look in his eyes. ... Jacob Elordi from Euphoria


Can you give us a hint as to what we can expect next? Whether a new book and series or a sequel to an existing series? Can you share a small tease?

I am finishing up the first draft of what will be the next in the series. The story focuses on Kat, Dylan, and Seth. All of whom appear in Overruling Judgment. I do not have a title at this time. Instead of MFM, it will be a MMF. I plan to continue a theme of sexual positivity in my books.


Check out all my reviews/interviews for Liz Ellyn!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2023/08/author-at-glance-liz-ellyn.html


Author Bio:

Liz Ellyn nourishes people’s cravings for the irresistible. Like the decadent desserts she delivers, she creates alluring characters deserving of happy endings. 

With degrees in both engineering and law, she argues that the positive energy gained by indulging in one’s guilty pleasure appropriately counterbalances the serious forces of daily life. 

When she isn’t writing or devouring steamy romance books, she spoils her family, including her two dogs, Boomer and Tanner. 

Bon Appetite and Happy Reading!


Connect with Liz:

Email: lizellyn@gmail.com 

Website:
https://lizellyn.com/

Amazon:
https://amzn.to/3OXyCkP

Goodreads:
https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/103349384-liz-ellyn

Bookbub:
https://www.bookbub.com/authors/liz-ellyn

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520529029

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/liz.ellyn/

X (formerly Twitter):
https://twitter.com/liz_ellyn

Pinterest:
https://www.pinterest.com/LizEllynAuthor/

TikTok:
https://www.tiktok.com/@liz.ellyn

Tumblr:
https://www.tumblr.com/lizellyn

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@lizellynauthor



OVERRULING JUDGMENT by Liz Ellyn

Purchase Link:
AMAZON

Other Retailers:

Ian refuses to allow an explosive night of passion to derail his desire to make partner at the law firm. But, her tempting presence in the office, along with her alluring scent, mocks his resolve.

JD’s the hot art teacher with the body and stamina of a former professional hockey player. He’s a creative master, in and out of the bedroom, who captures the affection of the brilliant young attorney, but he second-guesses if he’s enough for her.

Sasha won’t settle for less in her career or love life. It’s all or nothing. After a twist of fate and a proclamation of love, Sasha escapes choosing between Ian and JD. The alternative is far more arousing.

With careers in flux and hearts on the line, how will they all find the fortitude to come out on top?


No comments:

Post a Comment