Sunday, March 26, 2023

INTERVIEW with LINNEA TANNER


I would like to thank Linnea Tanner for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Award-winning author, Linnea Tanner, weaves Celtic tales of love, magical adventure, and political intrigue in Ancient Rome and Britannia. Since childhood, she has passionately read about ancient civilizations and mythology. Of particular interest are the enigmatic Celts, who were reputed as fierce warriors and mystical Druids.

 

Linnea has extensively researched ancient and medieval history, mythology, and archaeology and has traveled to sites described within each of her books in the Curse of Clansmen and Kings series. Books released in her series include Apollo’s Raven (Book 1), Dagger’s Destiny (Book 2), Amulet’s Rapture (Book 3), and Skull’s Vengeance (Book 4). She has also released the historical fiction short story Two Faces of Janus

 

A Colorado native, Linnea attended the University of Colorado and earned both her bachelor’s and master’s degrees in chemistry. She lives in Fort Collins with her husband and has two children and six grandchildren.

 

When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

Since I was a child, imaginary characters have lived in my head and told me of their stories. One was a female warrior reminiscent of an Amazon from Greek mythology. Another character is her Roman lover, a military commander. 

I knew then, I wanted to be an author but did not immediately pursue my dream. It was not until 2010, when I semi-retired, that I actively pursued my passion of becoming a published author.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

As a young teen, I read The Egyptian by Mika Waltari. What stood out for me is the young female character, Minea, who leaped over bulls and danced in a ritual before entering a labyrinth where she is tragically sacrificed to the god. 

The story details the process of mummification which I found fascinating. The book opened my eyes to the religious beliefs, political intrigue, and political corruption of ancient Egypt.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

My female protagonist, Catrin in Apollo’s Raven (Book 1 Curse of Clansmen and Kings) is based on Boudicca—a warrior queen in 1st Century Britain. Her pagan world inspired Arthurian legends that took placed 500 years later. Catrin’s characterization is based on the complex archetypes of ancient Celtic goddesses whose functions embrace the entire religious spectrum from healing to warfare, from creation to destruction, and from birth to death. She is intended to be an inspiration to modern-day women who are seeking to find their places in society. 

The fictional character, Marcellus Antonius, is based on the legacy of Marcus Antonius (Mark Antony) and his tragic downfall with Cleopatra. Mark Antony’s son (Iullus Antonius) suffered a similar fate as his father. He fell on his sword in disgrace for his scandalous affair with Augustus Caesar’s only daughter, Julia. Little is known about Iullus’s son, Lucius, except that he was exiled to Gaul as a young man, most likely as a condition to escape his father’s fate. 

A burning question that I wanted to answer in the series is how the tragic family legacy would impact Lucius Antonius and the relationship with his son, Marcellus. What would Lucius do if he discovered that Marcellus had fallen in love with a foreign princess in Britain?


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

My inspirations are drawn from places that I’ve visited and books that I’ve read. 

For example, I was intrigued with the statue of an ancient female warrior and her daughters in a horse-drawn chariot whenever I visited London. I learned from my research that she was the warrior queen Boudicca who united tribes in Britain to rebel against the Romans in 61 AD.  

Other characters who come to mind often have attributes of people I’ve worked or associated with.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

The main characters in Apollo’s Raven lived in my head since childhood and evolved during my adulthood as I faced challenges in my own life. 

Before I began drafting the Curse of Clansmen and Kings series, I wrote a 3-page summary of major events in the plotline. As I wrote the books in the series, the original events from the summary expanded and evolved. 

Ultimately, the characters in my head drive the story, sometimes surprising me by doing something different than I had planned.  


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

I use images that I’ve discovered from the internet to establish character boards on Pinterest. I have a board of Celtic tattoos which I use to help my characters.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I enjoy gardening, reading, walking on the pathways near our house, and visiting with family and friends.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I read and review a wide assortment of books written by both traditionally and independently published authors. Current books I’ve recently enjoyed include:

Son of Anger: A fast-paced Viking Saga (Ormstunga Saga Book 1) by Donovan Cook.

Minotaur’s Lair (Servant of the Gods, Book 3) by Luciana Cavallaro.

The Shadow of Perseus: A Novel by Claire Heywood. 

Pilot Who Knows the Waters (The Lord Hani Mysteries) by N. L. Holmes 

Forged by Iron (Olaf’s Saga) by Eric Schumacher 


What are your favorite books by others?

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley is one of my all-time favorite novels. It reimagines the Arthurian legend from the viewpoint of women behind the scenes who bolster the rise of King Arthur and scheme his fall. I liked the complex tale because it follows a myriad of characters struggling to understand their purpose in life in the midst of a societal fissure caused by the rise of Christianity that ultimately replaces the pagan beliefs of the druids.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

In my previous career in the pharmaceuticals industry, I often traveled to the United Kingdom on business but visited several places. 

One of my most memorable experiences is when I visited Stonehenge in the early evening. I was fortunate to be on a tour in which we could explore inside the structure. 

Another spot that I have visited several times is Dover and the castle on top that features a Saxon chapel and Roman lighthouse. I’ve hiked the Dover cliffs, which inspired my first scene in Apollo’s Raven when Catrin sees Roman warships appear out of the fog along the coastline.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

For my series, Curse of Clansmen and Kings, I write in multiple POV but only use only one character’s perspective in each scene to avoid confusion. For the epic series, it was necessary to use multiple POV so the plot is clear. 

I have also written a historical fiction short story, Two Faces of Janus, in first person of the primary character.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

I use a variety of research tools to support the research in my historical fantasy series, Curse of Clansmen and Kings. I extensively researched translations of Greek and Roman sources, historical non-fiction books from archaeologists and historians, and Celtic legends written by medieval writers. Of interest, one of the best accounts of Celtic culture is written by Julius Caesar as propaganda to support his military campaigns in Gaul (modern-day France) and Britain.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

I don’t write under a pen name.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write historical fiction and historical fantasy. 

I’m drawn to this genre because I’m fascinated with history and how it relates to modern-day events. Universal themes of love, corruption of power, survival, vengeance, redemption, and coming-of-age can be explored in the historical backdrop which is relevant to modern day.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

Creating stories in my head has been a way for me to deal with challenges in my own personal life and career. 

When I once admitted this quirk to a colleague, she gave me a strange look that normal adults don’t have imaginary friends. Fortunately, I’ve discovered that other authors have childlike wonder and imaginations like mine. 

Our stories are triggered from memories, images, or news on the airways. Storytelling is seen through an author’s lens that views the world in different ways.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Write with passion in what interests you, not what is popular.

Read stories from other authors and learn what engages you in their stories to help you with your craftsmanship.

Learn the craft of writing through workshops and through constructive feedback from trusted critique partners, author, or editors.

Be open to constructive criticism, but do not let negative comments bring you down.

Routinely write and finish your work even though it may be an “ugly rough draft.” Part of the writing process is to edit and smooth off the rough edges after the draft is completed.

Be resilient and never give up.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

If there are any constructive suggestions, I’ll consider them in my future writing. 

Since my books realistically depict brutality and pagan mores of ancient cultures, a scene may trigger a negative reaction. I’ve become aware of this and have thus tried to create book covers and excerpts that clearly communicate the genre (historical fantasy), the themes, and the tone of my novels to appeal to my reader base.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Final editing is what I most dread in the writing process. Sometimes it is difficult to catch your own mistakes. Thus, I use content editors and proofreaders to help me polish and edit a manuscript.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

I draft all my scenes by longhand at the kitchen table. The scene projects like a movie in my mind as I write it in longhand. 

To set the mood for the scene, I often listen to soundtracks from movies. After finishing the first draft, I type it into a manuscript template and edit on my computer.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

I drink coffee or Diet Pepsi as I write.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

I’d like to spend a day with Diana Gabaldon, author of the Outlander series. I’d like to learn more about her writing process and what inspired her to cross genres, weaving romance into historical fiction with time/slip elements of fantasy and science fiction. 

She is not afraid to pull in taboo subjects into her stories—such as sexual molestation and rape of both men and women, slavery, and torture—to advance the story.   

I’ve attended some of her workshops at writing conferences and have found her to be very down-to-earth and open about her writing process.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I’m fortunate that I’m semi-retired and do not depend on a full-time job to make ends meet. Nonetheless, whenever I’m actively writing, I set a timeline to finish a book for publishing. 

I schedule quiet times to write and often work late into the night. However, I take breaks during the day to do physical activities, such as walking and gardening, to clear my mind.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I often listen to soundtracks from epic movies or TV series to get me into the mood. 

Some of my favorite soundtracks are from Game of Thrones, The Last Kingdom, and The Gladiator.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

In the past, I’ve had a pet cat jump on my lap as I’m typing on the computer.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Outside noise sometimes disrupts my concentration. If my husband interrupts as I am writing, I’m taken out of my writer’s zone.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

As in life, characters whom I’ve loved have been killed. In the fourth book in the series, Skull’s Vengeance, a gladiator whom Catrin has befriended and respects is slain as he battles to protect her.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I do a happy dance!

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!


Make sure to give Linnea Tanner a shoutout and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Linnea:

Email: linnea@linneatanner.com

Website:

Amazon:

Amazon:

Barnes & Noble:

Kobo:

iTunes:
https://books.apple.com/us/book/apollos-raven/id1497211722

Google Play:

Bookbub:

Facebook:

Instagram:

Twitter:

Pinterest:

Linked-In:

Tumbir:

YouTube:

Newsletter Sign-Up:


2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Deborah, for featuring my interview with you and for support fellow authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Anytime you want to spotlight a book or series, just let me know :)

      Delete