Tuesday, March 28, 2023

INTERVIEW with LUCIA CATHERINE


I want to thank Lucia Catherine for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Lucia Catherine is a writer, wife, mother, wedding officiant and animal rescue volunteer. 

An emerging author who creates stories about transformation, love, and happiness. Her words are sharp, authentic, intense, and sometimes have a comical edge. 

She lives by the beaches of Lower Delaware, where she finds most of her inspiration. Lucia enjoys spending time with her family, close friends, and the Flower Girls. She is addicted to coffee, chocolate, good books, being on the water, her Pug, and Jug (Jack Russell/Pug mix).


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I knew from a young girl. I wrote poetry, short stories, and song lyrics.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

None that I remember.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life? 

Sometimes. Mostly the antagonists. Sometimes someone I admire.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from? 

For me, inspiration comes in many ways. My brain never shuts off. 

I can hear a verse from a song and a story will play in my mind. It could be a person on the street or a server in a restaurant. Sometimes I wake up with a story and I wonder if I had a dream I don’t remember. 

I people-watch.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way? 

Characters lead the way. I struggle with outlines.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration? No photos.  

I see their image in my mind's eye. Sometimes I try to associate it with an actor, but most times I can’t.


Many people read it as a form of escape and relaxation. What is your favorite way to sit back and relax? 

I’m a voracious reader and can knock out over 100 books a year. 

I also like to listen to music, mostly XM radio. 

I live near the beach, in the summer I like to relax by listening to the waves.


Who are your favorite current authors to read? 

This is a tough question because I love many Indy authors. Carrie Elks, Jen Davies, Stacy Wilk, Allie Marie, Lori DiAnni, Kari Lemor, Carissa Marks, Jean Joachim, Nadia Lee and so many more. 

Trad Published: Nora Roberts, James Patterson, Brenda Novak, Lisa Scottoline. Colleen Hoover.


What are your favorite books by others? 

I guess my favorite book of all time is old now. It was called Sybil. About a woman with multiple personalities. Written in the late 70s.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Yes, either a place I’ve lived in or visited.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Single


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Google


Do you write under a pen name? Also, do you write under more than one name?

Yes. Lucia Catherine is my pen name. No additional names yet.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I haven’t picked a lane yet. I think Romance, so far is the easiest to write.

So far I have written crime, suspense, romance, romantic suspense, and romantic contemporary. I have maybe 17 stories written that need to be edited. And a few notes of maybe five other stories to flesh out.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you? 

I’m an introvert, as are many writers. I can write in a noisy environment as I tune out. 

I used to be a numbers gal, and worked for the Federal government as a Budget Analyst until I married my second and last husband and became a stay-at-home mom. I have three grown boys. 

I loved numbers but also loved words. I wrote business manuals and learning to change the wording for creative writing was a challenge. 

I volunteer for a Pug rescue and am a wedding Officiant. 

My quirky trait is really about food. I’m a visual eater and things that look delicious to others aren’t appealing to me. I don’t like anything swimming in a creamy sauce. Mayonnaise I cannot even spread it for someone else to enjoy. It literally gags me.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Just go for it, if you have a story to be told, tell it. Someone will read it.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

Not going to lie. They hurt. 

The lowest I’ve seen so far was a 3 star rating, the reader didn’t write an actual review. That’s what hurt, if they wrote something, I could learn from it. I love to learn new things.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Letting go to send it to my editor. I try so hard to make it perfect, but nothing in life is perfect.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Ice water, coffee and my blue tooth speaker.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Candy. This week it’s gummy bears. Sometimes NECCO wafers. I eat like a child.  

I’m addicted to chocolate but I do not keep it in my office. If I did I would binge and give myself a migraine.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why? 

I’d say, Colleen Hoover. I bet she’d be a wealth of knowledge.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?  

I live in a resort town and love to be on the water. 

In the summer, I shoot for three days a week office time. If it’s just hubby and me, I take my writing with me on the beach. 

In the wintertime, I work Monday through Friday in my office. Of course, if something comes up or a friend wants to do lunch, I'm going. 

My writing snacks are Oreos or chocolate chip cookies, espresso, and Diet Dr. Pepper or a diet cola. It’s a treat and not every day.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite? 

Pop. Soft Rock.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing? 

YES! My office is on the second floor. I don’t let them in anymore because they get in trouble, take books off the shelf, and scratch at the candy drawer. 

If we’re home alone, I’ll work from the breakfast bar or on the sofa with a lap desk. Like now, they are snuggled into me, one on each side.


What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game?

Imposter Syndrome. I have low self-esteem as it is, when this hits, it knocks me on my butt. It’s almost crippling.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Only one. It’s not released yet, but my beta readers weren’t too happy with me.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

More so when it’s published as there is still plenty of work to do. 

I tell my husband he needs to take me to dinner. Sometimes my friends take me out for a drink. I say drink because more than one and I’m a silly mess. 

I also take a two-week break. I call it my brain cleanse.


I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Lucia Catherine!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2023/03/author-at-glance-lucia-catherine.html


Make sure to give Lucia Catherine a shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Lucia:

Email:
AuthorLuciaCatherine@gmail.com

Website:

Amazon:

Barnes & Noble:

Kobo:

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook:

Facebook Group:

Instagram:

Twitter:

Tiktok:

Pinterest:

Newsletter Sign-Up:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment