Tuesday, November 29, 2022

INTERVIEW with BIANCA BORELL


I want to thank Bianca Borell for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Bianca Borell is a contemporary romance author, voracious reader, nature lover, and unapologetic daydreamer. She spends her nights deciding between getting up to write or trying to silence the voices of her characters. The battle is never-ending. She has a weakness for tormented characters, second chances, and happy endings.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve always had a fascination with the written word. I started writing in my diary as a child, and later experimented with poetry in high school. 

I’ve always been drawn to writing, but I began to feel like a real writer only after I finished my first novel, Shattered Love. That’s how my author journey began.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I read a lot of classics while growing up and that surely influenced my writing. But I couldn’t name just one.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Not necessarily, but subconsciously definitely. 


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Good question. I don’t know, honestly. I call it a spark, and that spark grows into a fire spreading through my mind. The spark being the inspiration, and the fire being the finished story.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

When I have a book idea, I let it gestate in my mind until it takes shape. Only when the character’s motivations and the key scenes of the story are clear to me, do I begin writing it. 

I keep a somewhat loose outline but most of the time the characters lead the way.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Not always. It depends on the book. It’s different with each one.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Reading, getting swept up in a fictional world is my favorite way to relax. 

Getting a massage would be second to that. 

But I also love taking long walks through nature, listening to music, watching a movie or a series.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Mia Sheridan, Rina Kent, Samantha Young, Vi Keeland, Marie Kristy, Carian Cole, Saffron A. Kent, Tillie Cole and so many more.


What are your favorite books by others?

This is just a short list.

The Golden Dynasty by Kristen Ashley

Wallbanger by Alice Clayton

Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Crossfire series by Sylvia Day

Withering Hope by Layla Hagen

Twist Me series by Anna Zaires

The Royals series by Erin Watt

Stepbrother Dearest by Penelope Ward

The Sweet Gum Tree by Katherine Allred

Archer’s Voice by Mia Sheridan.

A Thousand Boy Kisses by Tillie Cole

This Man Trilogy by Jodi Ellen Malpas

Indebted series by Pepper Winters

The Paper Swan by Leyla Attar

Because of Ellison by MS Willis

Never Let You Go by Katy Regnery

Ruthless Princess by Rachel van Dyken

Black Tangled Heart by Samantha Young

Royal Elite series by Rina Kent

Rich Prick by Tijan

IOU by Marie Kristy

The Rivals by Vi Keeland

These Thorn Roses by Saffron A. Kent

Hooked by Emily McIntire

The Spanish Love Deception by Elena Armas

The Sinner by Emma Scott

The Casanova by T.L. Swan

The Ritual by Shantel Tessier

Dear Ava by Ilsa Madden-Mills

Asher by Carian Cole


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Some do. But most of them I pick based on the plot and places I’d like to visit.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Dual POV.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

If there’s something I don’t know about a specific topic I Google it and search organizations and informational sites. 

I speak with people that might know more about a certain topic. Watch tutorials or videos on YouTube if I need a visual to understand some things. 

I also look for answers in various Facebook groups.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

I write under a pen name. No, I just write under Bianca Borell.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Romance. 

The simple answer would be: Love stories that end with a HEA. 

The longer: Nothing makes me giddier than love stories, hearing about them, reading them, writing them. I believe nothing makes humans better than love, and we all covet, chase, want love, don’t we? 

When I see older couples holding hands it warms my heart. That’s what I long for, getting old and doing this life with my husband at my side. And in fiction, it’s the hard-earned HEA, the “you’re my person”, and “my one true love” narrative.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I won some literary prizes in high school. 

I have a bachelor’s degree in political science and business administration. 

I’m married to my soul mate. When I met him, it was like my heart whispered he’s The One and we’ve been happily married for ten years now. 

I have a very supportive and loving family. Family is everything to me. 

I’m a total foodie. 

I love to travel but seldom to the same place twice. 

I’m an ambivert.  


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

I still feel like an aspiring writer myself most of the times. But I would say, if a story has a grip on you and won’t let go, write it. 

There’s nothing quite like the feeling of seeing your story being published and read.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

Badly. I’m still learning to navigate and deal with negative book reviews. 

Even though I’ve gotten a thicker skin with time, they still affect me. I despair, cry, get upset over them. I should stop reading them, but I can’t. 

I’m curious what the readers think of my stories, if they like or enjoy them and of course I also see the negative ones.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

The editing process. I have a love hate relationship with revisions. I love to tweak, but when you go round and round, it gets tiring to the point of doubting the story, your skills as a writer.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

It has to be neat. Nothing out of place, no mess, no distractions.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

No indulgences here. I reward myself only after I type The End.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

It’s too hard to choose. Honestly. There are so many great, talented popular authors who I look up to and I’d like to meet, I couldn’t pick one.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I write in the mornings until I reach my word count for the day. I feel like I am the most creative then. No snacks, nor drinks.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I’d love to be able to do that, but I can’t. I can’t focus with music on. I get easily distracted and end up losing my train of thought. It depends on my mood. I have an eclectic music taste.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

I don’t have any pets. But I would love to have a dog––a French Bulldog.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Getting distracted like when my phone rings. 

I also jot notes on sheets of papers, but they tend to get lost and misplaced and that drives me crazy. I wish I were more organized in that aspect.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

A side character, yes. It broke my heart, too, if it’s any consolation.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Going out with hubs and having a drink, or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment