Saturday, November 5, 2022

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - MY LEGACY by Samantha Skye


THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY
My Legacy
 

Get a behind-the-scenes all-access pass to Samantha Skye's My Legacy!


***Synopis***

My Legacy is a suspenseful slow burn, enemies to lovers, dual POV mafia romance. It is book one so it sets the scene of four mafia brothers, who are Italian by blood, but run the streets of New York.

My Legacy is the story of Sebastian, the head of the Mob and Goldie, the feisty art gallery owner who refuses to sell her building to him. There is a lot of sass and hate before they get to the love….

 

What is the sub-genre and trope?  Did your characters lead you to this genre or was that decided before the story began?

I am very character driven, so the characters spoke to me and then the tropes formed. This is a light mafia romance book, that is a spicy, enemies-to-lovers story. It contains open-door sex scenes and suspenseful elements.


Are you more character or plot driven?

Definitely character driven. They tell me what they want to do and where they want to go.


With many main and secondary characters, how do you keep them separated in your mind?  Do you have a story/vision board above your workspace?

I keep notes, but for the most part the characters live in my brain. 

I start thinking about them months before I even type a word. I am starting to collate more of a series book, that will outline key elements, but those pesky characters pop up anytime anywhere!


I know from previous interviews that characters take on a life of their own.  Were any of the characters in this series determined to take their own direction instead of where you initially wanted them to go?

I don’t force them to go anywhere. They tell me who they are and what they want. I can clearly visualize them in my mind. 

There was a side character that changed a little throughout this book. His name is William, he started off in my mind as an older gentleman, but he soon turned into a young, handsome competitor to our hero. (Although with Sebastian, there really is no competition.)


Are any of the male POVs based on anyone you know?

No. But I feel that many of my male main characters have a little light-hearted side to them, and I think that probably comes from my Australian culture.


Are any of the female POVs based on anyone you know?

Not directly, but many of my friends are girl bosses so Goldie is smart, sassy and sexy, like a lot of my friends!


Was there any one character/scene that was harder to write about than the other?

Because it is a mafia book there are some slightly darker elements, however I wasn’t ready to write anything too dark, so I had to really balance Sebastian and his role as head of the mafia – which as you can imagine would be ruthless and tough. 

But I also wanted him to be completely smitten by the heroine and completely at her mercy. So, it was challenging, but also fun to write his character and make sure he was balanced out.


What is your favorite book in the series?

My Legacy is my favorite, because that is where it all started. All other characters were born from this book.


I know that we aren’t supposed to have “favorites” as far as our children, but seriously, who’s your favorite character and why?

Goldie. She is so strong and sassy, she has Sebastian wrapped around her finger and I love her!


Series question - Who is your favorite couple and why did you decide on their dynamics?

Now this is hard to choose. I would say Sebastian and Goldie, because again they started it all and I love a good enemies-to-lovers story. 

But Dante and Little Red in book two is something else. Extremely hot. What they do with a bowl of Tiramisu….

The third book featuring Carter and Doc has just released and they are again completely different. Carter’s character really took me for a ride, he was hard to pin down.

Book four has been written and currently with my editor, but I will say this one is fast-paced, insta-connection, and another enemies-to-lovers that just hits a little differently.


How do you get inside these character’s heads to find their perfect HEA?

They get into mine! I like strong male characters, who are tough on everyone except their woman. I like a hero who will burn the world down for his heroine – just like Sebastian does for Goldie…

The HEA is the last thing that comes to me when writing and it comes very organically as the story progresses.


What scene in this book/series sticks out the most for you?  Why?

So many scenes. There is the car scene when Sebastian picks up Goldie for their first date which is hot!

Then there is the final scene, the one where he is burning everything in his path to find his woman.


How long did it take you to write this book/series?

It takes me approx. 3 months to write a book – including editing time. So approx. 1 year to get the four book series out.


How did you come up with the title for your book and series?

My Legacy is not only a love story, but also a story about Sebastian stepping into his family’s Legacy and the issues that arise from that. The title comes from the story.


If you met these characters in real life would you get along?

If I met Sebastian in real life I would probably be scared of him. But I think Goldie and I would get on super well!


If your book/series were made into a movie, which actors do you see as playing your characters?

This is so hard, I have no idea!


Can you give us a hint as to what we can expect next?  Whether a new book and series or a sequel to an existing series?  Can you share a small tease?

Book four of the Men of New York series is coming in February 2023. 

It is called My Chance and it is the story of Nico, who is Sebastian’s protégée and Emilia, his enemy's daughter. It is a spicy, enemies-to-lovers, workplace/boss, opposites-attract story that will have you on the edge of your seat!

Pre-order is available; www.books2read.com/my-chance-samantha-skye

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Samantha Skye!



BIO:

Samantha Skye is a contemporary romance author from Melbourne, Australia. A country kid turned city slicker, Samantha writes characters that are as diverse as they are devilishly handsome. Her unique brand of suspenseful spice deftly combines the risky and the risqué, setting hearts pounding for more than one reason! 

When she’s not plotting her next novel, Samantha can be found chatting on podcasts, or anywhere there’s sunshine. An avid traveler, Samantha is just as comfortable in gumboots as she is in Christian Louboutins...but she’s usually having more fun in the latter.


Connect with Samantha:

Linktr.ee:

Email:

Website:

Amazon:

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook:

Facebook Group:

Instagram:

Twitter:

TikTok:

Pinterest:

Newsletter Signup:

Other Retailers:



MY LEGACY by Samantha Skye
Men of New York Series - Book One

Spotlight coming November 5, 2022

Get your copy today!

Special offer for all readers
My Legacy, Book One of the Men of New York series is now available at B&N for 75% off!
Use code: BNPLEGACY75 at checkout.
Offer available until December 30th.

BLURB:

Have you ever been in a stalemate with the head of the mob?
Me neither, until Sebastian Romano waltzed into my life.

I probably should have held my tongue that first night, but I’m used to alpha males and Sebastian is nothing I can’t handle.

He runs this city and gets everything he wants, but I would rather die than give him my art gallery.

It’s not just that it’s all I have left of my gran. The gallery is proof of my independence – a corner of this big city that’s all mine.

Problem is, negotiating real estate with a gangster isn’t exactly...fair.

I can ignore the intimidation, the deadlines, the threats. But when Sebastian starts poking into my private life, that’s one line too far.

So how come when my world is imploding—again—Sebastian is all I want to cling to?

And why do I feel safest with the deadliest man in town?

My Legacy is a suspenseful slow burn, enemies to lovers, dual POV mafia romance. Contains explicit sex scenes and violence – 18+.


No comments:

Post a Comment