Friday, November 4, 2022

INTERVIEW with SAMANTHA SKYE


I want to thank Samantha Skye for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Samantha Skye is a contemporary romance author from Melbourne, Australia. A country kid turned city slicker, Samantha writes characters that are as diverse as they are devilishly handsome. Her unique brand of suspenseful spice deftly combines the risky and the risqué, setting hearts pounding for more than one reason! 

When she’s not plotting her next novel, Samantha can be found chatting on podcasts, or anywhere there’s sunshine. An avid traveler, Samantha is just as comfortable in gumboots as she is in Christian Louboutins...but she’s usually having more fun in the latter.



When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I didn’t really. I have always written in my day job. I work full time in communications which is a job that uses different writing skills heavily. 

I had thought that one day I might write a book, but I was thinking it would be a non-fiction book. Never in a million years did I ever think I would be writing romance.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Growing up in a small town there wasn’t much to do so I naturally gravitated towards books and was an avid reader from an early age. 

I was reading Mills and Boon and Danielle Steel long before I was old enough.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

None. All my characters are completely fictional. Although some may have similar traits or habits as people from my life, no character is 100% based on anyone I know. It is all just my imagination!


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

I am a big daydreamer and the smallest things can spark an idea. Often when I am out walking I will see someone or hear something and that sparks an idea, and my mind just runs with it and before long I have dreamt up a totally new story.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I am a pantser and I love to discover the story as I type it. Having said that sometimes I will have a moment where a certain scene comes to mind and I grab my phone, pull up the notes app and write it down before I forget.

The characters always come first though. I generally always know the meet cute and the suspense elements before I start and then I just let my fingers type the way from there.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

No. It is all in my head. Sometimes I wish I had a Pinterest board and had all the inspirational imagery, but I would lose hours and I would rather be writing. I love living in my head, it is my own form of escapism.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Writing or reading. Sometimes a little bit of TV (I love Yellowstone). 

But if I am not writing then I am reading because I can’t do both at the same time or it messes with my creative process. So I can’t read another book until I have a break from writing my own.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I love Meghan March and would read anything she wrote. TL Swan and Melanie Harlow are also one click authors for me.


What are your favorite books by others?

I really loved Where the Crawdads Sing and also The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. They are both books I have read recently and I can’t wait to see them both on the big screen.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

No. I wanted to set my stories in the United States (I’m Australian) so I picked Boston for my first series because I always wanted to go. 

New York features in my second series again because I have never been and always wanted to go.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I write in dual POV. I really love to get both sides of the story and hearing both points of view.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Google. What did any of us do before it?


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

Yes! Samantha Skye is my only pen name.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write contemporary romance with spice and suspense. I love reading and writing romance!


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I work full-time as a communications manager for a fortune 500 company in Melbourne Australia. 

I grew up in regional Australia before moving to the city and despite the long hours of writing and living in the coffee capital of Australia – I don’t drink coffee. It makes me too jittery!


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

The only way to become a writer is to write. Bad words on a page are better than no words on a page.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

It was really disheartening at first. But now it is just part of the job. 

Not everyone is going to like what you write. Books, like art and music are very subjective. Some people will love them while others won’t. You can’t please everyone.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Editing. Once I have written the book I just want it to be done.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Peace and quiet. I know some writers have music on or go to a café. But I need my quiet house, with everything silent so I can get lost in my own thoughts.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

I like to snack when I think. So if I come to a hard section of my book, where I am not sure what the characters are going to do next, I usually raid the kitchen.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Melanie Harlow. Not only is she a really good author but she is a great businesswoman and I think I would learn a lot.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

Up until recently, I have been writing at night. But I have just started the reverse where I am getting up at 5am and trying to get some words in before my working day starts. 

It is great to have the words done in the morning, and so far, it is going well.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

No, I can’t I need silence. 

But when I am away from writing I love country music. I currently have Luke Combs on repeat. 

I am also excited to be seeing Keith Urban in concert very soon.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

No. I have a Jack-a-poo called Elvis who is 15 years old and he keeps me company snoozing in my office when I write.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

I need deadlines. If I don’t have a deadline then I procrastinate. The busier I am the better I work.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

No. Not yet….


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I haven’t found a good celebration ritual yet. But I am open to suggestions! 

I usually type the end and then go straight into editing or the next book.

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Samantha Skye!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/11/author-at-glance-samantha-skye.html


Make sure to give Samantha Skye a shout-out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Samantha:

Linktr.ee:

Email:

Website:

Amazon:

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook:

Facebook Group:

Instagram:

Twitter:

TikTok:

Booksprout:
https://booksprout.co/reviewer/author/view/17630/samantha-skye

Newsletter Signup:

Other Retailers:


Special offer for all readers. My Legacy, Book One of the Men of New York series is now available at B&N for 75% off! Use code: BNPLEGACY75 at checkout. Available until December 30th.

Get your 75% discount now!
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/my-legacy-samantha-skye/1140998523

 

3 comments:

  1. I’m stuck in your answer ‘Not yet…’ Will you really break our hearts that way?!! 🤣
    Amazing interview, I also get up at 5AM. Which makes me wonder, what time is your 5AM in Texas? 🤔

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love learning about my favorite authors.
    And is true about not being able to please everyone. As for me, you know how much I love your stories.
    So, you mentioned you don’t drink coffee…. Do you drink tea? I prefer tea than coffee but one in a while will drink a strong black cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete