Friday, November 4, 2022

INTERVIEW with KARIGAN HALE


I want to thank Karigan Hale for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Hi Readers! I am a writer, reader, wife, mother, teacher, and photographer. I married my high school sweetheart - a real-life second-chance love story! - and have been a hopeful romantic ever since.

I’m highly susceptible to sudden summer thunderstorms and happily ever afters. Highly allergic to poison ivy and early mornings. And highly addicted to fountain sodas and true crime.

When I’m not reading or writing swoon-worthy romances, I'm usually stalki… I, mean, chasing my two daughters around with my camera, grading papers, or cleaning up after the animals on our mini-farm (at least emus, goats, chickens, dogs, and cats are cute, right?).



When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve always known, I think. 

When I was in middle school, I was obsessed with R.L. Stine and Christopher Pike. I actually wrote several stories trying to mimic their style. My favorite was called Shortcut to Death. I was so proud, I handwrote several copies to distribute to family and friends. *cringe* 

In college, I majored in English and while I eventually settled on a secondary education concentration, the creative writing classes were always my favorite.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

So, so many. Like I said, Stine and Pike were early ones. I also loved Stephen King in middle and high school. 

Apparently, I was a spooky, little bitch. 😊 When I got a little older, I gravitated toward the classics—Austen, Poe, Shakespeare, Hardy. I went through a pretty solid Nora Roberts faze.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

*shifty eyes* Of course not… (read: absolutely) 

But in all seriousness, many of my characters have qualities that are similar to people I know. They are most often a mesh of several people.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Real life. I write mostly romance, so I draw from situations and people I see around me.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I usually start with a basic outline, but let the characters—or sometimes side characters—drive the plot. 

I’m not married to my outline, but it does come in handy if I find myself lacking direction.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Sometimes. I don’t focus too much on physical appearance. I like my readers to picture the characters how they see them. I usually mention hair and eye color and body type (that V of muscles every romance hero undoubtedly has!). 

If they have a specific characteristic that makes them unique or has a specific meaning in the story, I’ll mention that.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Definitely reading or writing. 

I’m also a photographer, so I like to take walks or photograph my children and then edit the photos. 

Usually, I’m listening to an audiobook or a true crime podcast while I’m doing that (maybe I still am a spooky, little bitch…)


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

So, so many! I love romantic comedies so I’ve been reading Emily Henry, Lucy Score, and Sally Thorne a lot lately. 

I also really like romantic suspense so Sandra Brown, Nora Roberts, and Karin Slaughter are always at the top of my list.


What are your favorite books by others?

Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

Born a Crime by Trevor Noah

Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Born a Crime is an autobiography about Noah’s life in South Africa during and just “after” Apartheid. That might be the only one from the list above.

If we are talking about my own books, then I set them all in and around Maryland since that is where I live. I’ve lived here almost my entire life, so I can vividly picture the settings and be true to the people and places I write about.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Multiple POV


What do you find to be your best research tool?

People watching, Google, and a wonderful group of other romantic comedy writers that are always open to bouncing around ideas.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

Yes! 

I write contemporary, steamy romantic comedies under the pen name Karigan Hale. 

And I write clean cozy mysteries under my real name. Since I’m a high school English teacher in my muggle life, I don’t want the first thing my students to see when they google my name to be my sex scenes. LOL


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Contemporary romantic comedy – this is what I like to read. I’m told I’m fairly funny and have realistic, witty banter in my writing. I’m also a sucker for happy endings. I always want Hallmark movies to ramp it up a notch – both sexually and with the comedy, so that’s what I do in my books.

Cozy Mystery – I also like to read these. It’s so fun to plot a mystery—challenging in ways writing a straight romance is not. I also love to have a recurring main character that drives the series. I feel like I know her fairly well now.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

This is a loaded question! Let’s see. 

I married my high school sweetheart after a ten-year break—a real second-chance love story. 

We now live on a small farm with emus, goats, and chickens. 

I judge cheerleading around the globe and even at ESPN Zone for the World Cheerleading Competition. 

I am addicted to fountain sodas. 

I can cross one eye. 

And I’m ridiculously allergic to poison ivy.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Just keep writing! 

I try to write every day and it’s made me a much better writer. 

Also, get a good editor and a large mug that you can fill with your beverage of choice.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

Unless there are several constructive negative reviews that all say similar things, I ignore them. 

I understand that I’m not going to please everyone and not everyone is going to like my writing style. I don’t love every bestseller out there, but others do. It’s fine. 

If more than one review says the same thing, I might be inclined to take it into consideration. But at the end of the day, I need to tell the story in the way that feels right to me.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Actually when the characters aren’t in crisis. 

I love writing the tension-filled scenes. When everything is all lovey-dovey and fine, I find I want to cause some chaos.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Maybe if I figured this out, I wouldn’t always be so behind schedule. 😊


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

If I get through a scene or write a certain amount of words, I reward myself with looking at cover model photos online. 

Totally my favorite part of the process. 😉


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Great question. Maybe Colleen Hoover to pick her brain about her process. 

I also recently got her hear Karin Slaughter speak (and sign my book!). She was so funny and charismatic. I think spending the day with her would be a blast.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

As stated – fountain sodas. I don’t eat as much because I’m typing, but possibly popcorn. I try to write a little every day, but that usually slows down during the school year when I’m also trying to grade over 100 rhetorical analysis essays…


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Sometimes. Depending on the scene, I’ll either listen to romantic songs, angsty blues, or classical. 

I really like singer-songwriters like Dispatch, Barns Courtney, Ingrid Michaelson, and Avett Brothers. They usually have a story within their songs where I can latch onto the feeling of the characters.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Oh yes. Have I mentioned I live on a farm? 

We have two needy dogs and two equally as needy cats who are constantly trying to jump on my lap or laptop, chew my pencils, or lay on my notes. 

And Heaven forbid I am one minute late feeding the goats, chickens, or emus. They scream like they’re dying.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Great question. If I’m not feeling a certain scene, I have a tendency to overthink it to death until I no longer want to even look at the story. 

Also, imposter syndrome is very real. I try not to compare myself to others, but man is that hard!


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Not yet, but it’s a possibility in my cozy mystery series


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Crying? No. No. Just kidding. I usually take my family out to dinner.

 

I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Karigan Hale!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/11/author-at-glance-karigan-hale.html

Make sure to give Karigan Hale a shout-out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Karigan:

Email:
kariganspencil@gmail.com

Website:
https://kariganspencil.wixsite.com/books

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Karigan-Hale/e/B082MRW99N

Goodreads:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/19777029.Karigan_Hale

Bookbub:
https://www.bookbub.com/profile/karigan-hale

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/kariganspencil

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6257932937565077

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/kariganspencil/

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/kariganspencil

Tiktok:
https://tiktok.com/@kariganspencil

Pinterest:
https://www.pinterest.com/kariganspencil/

Newsletter Sign-Up:
https://BookHip.com/NDBZTXA

 

No comments:

Post a Comment