Monday, November 28, 2022

INTERVIEW with JENNILYNN WYER


I want to thank Jennilynn Wyer for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Jennilynn Wyer is a Rudy Award-winning author of Romantic Suspense and a three-time Contemporary Romance Writers Stiletto Finalist. She writes steamy, New Adult romances as well as dark reverse harem romances. She also pens YA romance under the pen name JL Wyer. 

Jennilynn is a sassy Southern belle who lives a real-life friends-to-lovers trope with her blue-eyed British husband. 

When not writing, she’s nestled in her favorite reading spot, e-reader in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other, enjoying the latest romance novel.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I started writing at an early age. First it was poetry in elementary and junior high school, then short novellas in high school. 

As with many others, life happens and our careers and family take precedence over everything else. It wasn’t until a few years ago that I decided to pursue romance writing full-time.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Absolutely. I grew up loving Nora Roberts, Judith McNaught, and Linda Howard. They always wove in romantic suspense to their stories, and I think that’s why I lean more toward that type of story. 

I love creating twisty-turny worlds that keep the reader guessing what will happen next.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Yes. Many of them are, but my lips are sealed on who inspired which character. I also weave a lot of my life experiences into every book I write. As my readers can attest, I’ve lived a crazy life.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

My book inspirations have so far been taken from things that have happened in my life. 

Fallen Brook was based on my possessive ex and the man who became my forever (aka, my husband). 

That Girl, Wanderlost, and About That Night all include events and struggles that I lived through—even some of the darker elements in my Savage Kingdom Series were taken from things that happened in my life, either to myself or to someone I knew.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I have found that I am most definitely a pantser. 

Every time I have tried to plot out a story, I always change everything anyway as I write. I let the characters speak to me and guide my fingers as I type. I like how natural and organic the process is.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Sometimes. I often find that what's in my head is something that I cannot find online as an image. 

Most often, I wind up creating my characters myself using Photoshop.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Oh, I definitely read. I can’t not read. A day without a new book boyfriend is a day you get a very grumpy Jennilynn. 

I read about one romance book a day. Doesn’t matter the trope. As long as the story is good, I’m there.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I honestly read everyone. 

If I was forced to name a favorite author, I would have to say Judith McNaught. She was one of the first romance authors I read, and I think I have read her books over a hundred times each.


What are your favorite books by others?

That is an impossible question to answer since I have so many. 

Off the top of my head, Once and Always, Son of the Morning, and Carnal Innocence are a few of my old favorites.  


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

I don’t like being confined to settings in real places, so I create fictional towns, universities, you name it, for my books. That way, if I want a dilapidated warehouse, a certain type of bar, or even a shipping canal in my story, I can have one. 

Many of my books take place in the fictional towns of Fallen Brook, Dearborne, and Highland in North Carolina, my home state.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I mostly write in multiple POV, first person. I love delving into the minds of my characters and digging around their brains. I also think it helps the reader connect with the story better because they can feel what the character is feeling or understand their thought processes and emotions better.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Definitely online. I don’t get to travel much anymore.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

I have two author names: Jennilynn Wyer is for my adult, steamy romances, and JL Wyer is for my teen and young adult romances.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

My main genre is New Adult because my characters are usually aged 18-27. 

The tropes I focus on are enemies to lovers, friends to lovers, second chance, college, small town, sports, dark, reverse harem/why choose, romantic suspense, romantic comedy. 

I’m the type of author who doesn’t like to “stay in their lane..” There are too many stories I want to write.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

Since I’m a very private person, I usually shy away from personal questions. I will say that I worked in science and academia most of my life. Some of my quirky traits include: 

·  I’m a sassy Southern belle who lives a real-life friends-to-lovers trope with my blue-eyed British husband.

·  I can do a fairly reasonable Scottish accent, but my British one is better. Get me excited about something and my Southern accent comes out big time, y'all.

·  Yes, I can be both a UNC Tarheels fan AND a Duke Blue Devils fan, no matter what anybody says.

·  I love dipping my potato chips in spicy brown mustard.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

First, I always tell new writers to never give up on their dream. There will always be readers out there who want to read your story. 

Second, gather a good beta team that does not include your friends or family. You do not want “yes” people reading your book and providing constructive criticism and feedback. You want beta readers who will pick it apart, find every flaw, and help you craft something amazing. 

Third, find a good editor. It doesn’t matter how incredible your story is, if it’s full of grammatical errors, misspelled words, and typos, it can make even the best story unreadable.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

Like most new authors, when I first published and eventually got that first bad review, it gutted me. How could someone not like the story that I poured my blood, sweat, and tears into? 

Some authors say to ignore them; some say they don’t read them at all; while some say to use the negative comments to help improve your writing. 

Not every reader who picks up your book is going to be a fan. That’s okay. I don’t love every book I read. But I do think there is a line between just being mean and providing constructive criticism that may not be favorable toward your book.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

The way my brain works. For some reason, I can’t, for the life of me, write at any other time of the day other than between the hours of 3 am - 8 am. I’ve tried. So, if I wake up late around 6 am, then most of my writing day is already shot.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Quiet. I think that’s why I do most of my writing in the wee hours of the morning. I have to have total peace and quiet in order to write. 

Oh, and a desktop. I hate writing on my laptop.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

If you consider coffee, naughty, then that’s it.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose? And why?

I would like to spend the day picking Eva Ashwood’s brain. 

I would love to ask her questions about her writing process since she was one of the first RH authors I read and loved. Some of those scenes can be very tricky!


What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

Since my writing day is mostly in the wee hours of the morning, I have to have two cups of coffee.


What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game?

Social media is my kryptonite. I feel like I spend way more time posting and making graphics and TikToks for the books instead of writing them! All the social stuff feels never-ending.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Hahahaha. Yes! And I will do it again. But boy, did it make some readers mad.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Lol. I start the next book.

You can read excerpts from my books on Verve Romance



I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Jennilynn Wyer!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/11/author-at-glance-jennilynn-wyer.html

Make sure to give Jennilynn a shout-out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Jennilynn:

Linkt.ree: https://linktr.ee/jennilynnwyer

website:

Amazon:

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook:

Facebook Group - The J-Crew

Instagram:

Twitter:

Tiktok:

YouTube:

Newsletter Signup:


No comments:

Post a Comment