Tuesday, February 13, 2024

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - SAGE RIDGE Series by Devin Sloane


THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY
Sage Ridge Series

 

Get a behind-the-scenes all-access pass to Devin Sloane's Sage Ridge series!


***Synopsis***

Sage Ridge is an offshoot of my first series, Bridgewater.

The first book, A Lifetime of Afters, follows Noelle Brevard who is returning home for the first time in ten years after a series of brutal losses and the rejection that broke her heart. She’s determined to avoid the heartbreaker, but Mother Nature has other plans for them.

Every Bit As Perfect follows Noelle’s best friend, Harley Bennett, as she heals from the loss of her brother and a toxic relationship. She thinks she’s done with men, but Daire? He’s not anywhere near done with her.

Book Three, No Sweeter Madness, is a work in progress!

 

 

 

What is the sub-genre and trope? 

 

All Books:

Small town romance

Hurt/comfort

Spicy, open-door romance

Later in Life – All characters are in their 30s and 40s.

Cinnamon roll alphas

 

A Lifetime of Afters:

Brother’s best friend

Grumpy sunshine

Second chance romance

Enemies to Lovers

 

Every Bit As Perfect

Opposites attract

He falls first

Second chance romance

 

No Sweeter Madness

Second chance romance


Are you more character or plot driven?

Character. 100%.


With many main and secondary characters, how do you keep them separated in your mind? Do you have a story/vision board above your workspace?

I have Pinterest boards, and I keep notes, but I am generally able to keep everybody straight in my head while I’m working on a series. 

It’s when the series is over and I move onto the next one that the details get fuzzy.


I know from previous interviews that characters take on a life of their own. Were any of the characters in this series determined to take their own direction instead of where you initially wanted them to go?

They tell me their story right from the beginning. I map out how I think it might go, and it’s definitely subject to change. 

The heroine in my current book took a bit to come to life in my head.


Are any of the male POVs based on anyone you know?

None. But my husband gives me plenty of material to work with and makes secret cameos in every book.


Are any of the female POVs based on anyone you know?

There’s a little bit of me in all of them.


Was there any one character/scene that was harder to write about than the other?

So many! My books are emotional, and they take a lot out of me. I cry with each one. 

I would say the Christmas party scene in A Lifetime of Afters was the most difficult to write of the series so far.


What is your favorite book in the series?

I love all my children the same!


I know that we aren’t supposed to have “favorites” as far as our children, but seriously, who’s your favorite character and why?

I relate the most to Harley.


Series question - Who is your favorite couple and why did you decide on their dynamics?

I don’t decide their dynamics. The characters come fully formed. I just pair them up! 

I don’t have a favourite. I love love, and all these couples have it in spades.


How do you get inside these characters’ heads to find their perfect HEA?

I’m very empathetic. I find it easy to put myself in others’ shoes. 

Especially imaginary people.


What scene in this book/series sticks out the most for you? Why?

The river scene in A Lifetime of Afters because it was a moment of profound healing and acceptance.


Series - Were any of the books harder to write than others?

I’m only on book three and so far they’ve all felt about the same.


This question is if you write in MULTIPLE POVs not just the hero and heroine - I love the multiple POVs in a book. It’s not just the hero and heroine, but we get inside the heads of multiple characters throughout this series. I feel that it gives the story further depth. Do you think you will write another book or series following this multiple POV outline? 

I’ve thought about it, but have no plans or stories in my head for it.


How long did it take you to write this book/series?

Each book takes me about 8 weeks to write.


How did you come up with the title for your book and series?

The title names came from a line in the book that I feel encapsulates the feel of the book.


If you met these characters in real life would you get along?

YES!


Series question – Did you know in advance that you were going to write this as a series or did one of the characters in book one demand their own story?

I always knew it would be a series.


If your book/series were made into a movie, which actors do you see as playing your characters?

I really don’t watch a lot of tv or movies. I’m so sorry. It would take me about 3 days to do the research to do this justice!


Can you give us a hint as to what we can expect next? Whether a new book and series or a sequel to an existing series? Can you share a small tease?

This series is shaping up to have a total of 7 books. Most of the heroines have been introduced or mentioned at some point.

When this series is finished, I’m going to write the sequel to Sweet Everythings.

Something incredibly special about this series is that many of the side character’s names are the names of the ARC readers on my permanent team. This ARC team also played a large part in naming parts of the town, landmarks, and stores.



Check out all my interviews/reviews for Devin Sloane!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2024/02/author-at-glance-devin-sloane.html



As a reader and a storyteller, I am drawn to mature characters with a bit more life under their belts, though they often carry the fears, insecurities, and traumas from their younger years. They bumble alongside them, believing they are doing okay. Then life unfolds, suddenly demanding they deal with their brokenness in the midst of parenting, building a career, looking after aging parents, and starting or mending a romantic relationship. Here is where I write my stories. Stories where physical intimacy reflects emotional intimacy and healing, sometimes acting as healer itself. Stories that celebrate sisterhood, family, and chosen family. Stories that take you on an emotional journey, one where you might easily recognize yourself or someone you know. Stories with a hard-won HEA because I simply love love.

Connect with Devin:

Linktr.ee:
https://linktr.ee/devinsloane

Website:
https://devinsloane.ca/

Amazon:
https://amzn.to/3Sz9S47

Barnes and Noble:
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/%22Devin%20Sloane%22

Kobo: 

Apple Books: 
https://books.apple.com/us/author/devin-sloane/id293546922

Goodreads:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/21459268.Devin_Sloane

Bookbub:
https://www.bookbub.com/profile/devin-sloane

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/authordevinsloane

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/devinsdreamers

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/devinsloane.author

Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/user/t2wb69ddlqilczbwjlm4jlb6y

Tiktok:
https://www.tiktok.com/@livemessylovemadly

Pinterest:
https://www.pinterest.ca/devinsloaneauthor/

Red Bubble:
https://www.redbubble.com/people/BridgetoFiction/shop?asc=u

Newsletter Sign-Up:
https://devinsloane.eo.page/devinsloane



A LIFETIME OF AFTERS by Devin Sloane
Sage Ridge - Book 1

Spotlight Interview coming February 13th


What if your first love was meant to be your last?

Noelle Brevard can’t remember a time she didn’t love Hawkley Bennett.
It didn’t matter that he was her brother’s best friend.
She had to tell him.

He chose someone else.
And she left.

After ten years, she’s going home.
Number one on her to-do list is to stay out of his way.

But Mother Nature has other plans. Locked away from the
rest of the world, sparks fly and truths come to light.

Until only one secret remains.
And it’s tearing him apart.

She’s got a choice.
Protect her heart? Or give everything she has for his.

A Lifetime of Afters is a small town, friends to enemies to lovers, grumpy-sunshine, surprise pregnancy, forced proximity, family saga hybrid of steamy contemporary romance and deeply emotional women’s fiction perfect for fans of Virgin River and This is Us.



EVERY BIT AS PERFECT by Devin Sloane
Sage Ridge - Book 2

Spotlight Interview coming February 13th

Every Bit As Perfect is a small town, opposites attract, he falls first, family saga hybrid of steamy contemporary romance and deeply emotional women’s fiction. If you love an emotional rollercoaster with a happy ending, Every Bit As Perfect is perfect for you.

Every epic love story requires a leap of faith.

Harley Bennett is done.
Done fitting neatly into others’ expectations.
Done being dismissed.
And most especially, done with men.

But she didn’t expect a man like Daire Newman. He’s everything she never dared to dream of and more than she deserves. He could have his pick of Sage Ridge's entire female population. So why is he pursuing her?

If there’s one thing Daire Newman is sure about, it’s Harley Bennett. He can handle her sassy attitude, her curvy body, her tender heart, and her pain. He’ll do anything to get her on board. Even if it means keeping a secret that has the power to derail everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment