Monday, March 7, 2022

INTERVIEW with AMBER CROSS


I want to thank Amber Cross for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Amber Cross was raised on a family farm in New England, one of a dozen siblings, each one inspiring her writing in some way.

She still lives in that same small town with her husband and the youngest of their five children.

She loves spending time in the woods, in the water, and watching people because every one of them has a unique and fascinating story to tell.
 


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

When I was ten years old, after my teacher read chapter books to us once a day.

 

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Laura Ingalls Wilder, Bess Streeter Aldrich


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

No, but events and/or characteristics might be.
 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Observations and dreams.
 

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

Mostly I let the characters lead the way. I either know who they are and where they’re at in their life but I’m not sure where they’re going, or I know what the first scene is about but don’t know where it will go from there.
 

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

I look for photos after I’ve defined the character in my own mind.
 

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I can read anywhere; waiting at the doctor’s office, sitting in the car at a red light, lying in bed at night, in the tub….

 
Who are your favorite current authors to read?

K. A. Tucker, Sophie Lark, Dana Stabenow, Nevada Barr, Sandra Brown, Linda Howard
 

What are your favorite books by others?

Sooo hard to pick! Forever Wild by K.A. Tucker; The Heir by Sophie Lark; Blood Will Tell by Dana Stabenow; A Superior Death by Nevada Barr; Kiss An Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips; Honor Bound by Sandra Brown; Mackenzie’s Pleasure by Linda Howard
 

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Absolutely. There is a saying, “write what you know,” and I believe in it.
 
Even in paranormal or murder mystery, something has to be grounded in reality-the setting, the relationship/feelings.

I write only about places I’ve been. Since I know the country-small towns, woods, lakes, and mountains best, those are my primary settings.

 
Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Two POVs-male and female leads-though I have a work in progress that will have more than two.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Visiting. I take long drives to specific places to verify things like travel time, what the sunset looks like, whether or not I can buy drinks in a bottle or can, etc.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

I write under the pen name Amber Cross. I have another pen name, different genre, but haven’t used it in a few years.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write contemporary romance because it is most relatable. Someday I expect to write historical fiction and/or historical romance as well.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

As the 8th child in a large family, I have played all the “birth” roles-first child because my older sisters are double digits older than me, “oldest” child because I have younger sisters and was expected to set an example for them, and “middle” child because there are three below me and seven above me.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Join writing groups.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

There is nothing I can do about them.
 
It’s especially frustrating when it’s obvious the person didn’t read the story but only skimmed or read part of it and it’s frustrating when they complain the book wasn’t what they expected, but you can’t control other people.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

The editing process is so messy. Sometimes it’s like I threw up all over the page! Truly, there is nothing poetic about it.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Quiet.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Fluffy pillows.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Linda Howard.
 
She has evolved over decades, yet her men remain strong without the apologetic stereotypes I see today and her women remain strong, yet the source of their strength has changed from femininity to character.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

Wheat Thins crackers.

I try to write at night and edit that writing the following day before writing more.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Not usually. I love music so much it would distract me.
 
Once in a while I might put on something like soft piano music or Beethoven if I need to drown out other sounds, because I can’t sing along to that music, so the distractions are fewer. 


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

No, I shut the door on them.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Depression is common. Not deep, can’t get out of bed stuff, but the low that follows finishing a project or being disappointed with a book cover, stuff like that.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

No.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I take some time off, to clear those characters from my head and make room for others.


I hope you enjoyed this interview as much as I have!


Check out my reviews on the following books by Amber Cross!




Make sure to give Amber a shout-out and FOLLOW her on all her social media!

Connect with Amber:
 
Email:
Facebook:

Amazon:
GoodReads:
BookBub:
Instagram:

Newsletter Sign-Up:
Through my website or by email

No comments:

Post a Comment