Tuesday, March 1, 2022

INTERVIEW with ELLI MORGAN


I want to first thank Elli Morgan for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Elli Morgan was born in 1991 in a small town in Germany. Although she only started learning English in sixth grade, she quickly fell in love with the language. To improve her skills, she spent a year working and traveling in Canada and the United States.

As a teenager, she devoured countless fan fictions and vampire novels. During that time, she also developed the idea for her first paranormal romance book “The Waxing Moon”, but she didn’t write it down until the COVID-19 lockdown in 2020.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

As a teenager, I often lay in bed at night, making up stories and picturing myself in different worlds. Although it was a fun way to pass time and escape reality, I never planned to turn these fantasies into books.

Yet when I grew up, I couldn’t forget about the stories that had accompanied me for so long. The wish to share them with the world eventually led me to start writing in 2020.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

As far as I know, the writer who influenced me the most never published a book. She wrote vampire fan fictions under the pen name “RebelGoddess-13” on a website called quizilla. Her story captivated me. Every day after school, I hurried home, hoping to find a new chapter of “A vampire’s prisoner.”
 
Because of her, I fell in love with the concept of vampires and made up my own vampire story, which was the basis for my first book, “The Waxing Moon.”
 
Other authors who influenced me during my youth were Anne Rice, Stephenie Meyer, and Jeaniene Frost.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

To some extent, yes. I based the appearance of some characters on people I know, but their personalities usually differ.

There is only one character whose personality and appearance is 100% based on someone from my life, and even their background is roughly the same.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

So far, most scenes I write are inspired by the stories I conceived as a teenager. Others are shaped by my own experiences and hopes.
 
When I’m stuck in a scene and need inspiration, I often go for a walk. Fresh air helps me clear my mind and develop new ideas.


Do you have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

Most of the time, I know where the story starts, where it ends, and some key scenes that happen in between. Everything else comes with time.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

No, but that actually sounds like a good idea.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Ever since I started writing, I tend to analyze everything I read and note all mistakes. Although this makes me a good beta reader, reading is not as relaxing as it used to be.

So, when I’m not reading or writing, I enjoy watching tv shows and playing final fantasy XIV.

Another hobby I enjoy is tai chi. It’s relaxing and a good way to stay fit at the same time. The flowing movements and weapon techniques inspired some of my fight scenes.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I still like Jeaniene Frost a lot. Lately, I really enjoyed the books by Laelia Starla, which I read as a beta reader.


What are your favorite books by others?

The Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost, the Dark Days series by Jocelynn Drake, and the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

In “The Waxing Moon” my main character travels through Europe. I’ve visited most of the places I describe in the story, and many of them remind me of a vacation or day trip.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

My first book is written in single POV. For my second book, I’m experimenting with multiple POVs.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Google. Sometimes I wonder if my search history is a bit alarming to some people, for example “surviving on an uninhabited island”, the “time it takes to fall from a 60 meters high building”, and the “effects of poison”.


Do you write under a pen name? Also, do you write under more than one name?

Yes, Elli Morgan is my pen name. It’s my only one.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Paranormal romance / Urban fantasy.
 
I love the idea of something supernatural out there, and vampires have always fascinated me. The thought of living forever and experiencing the world in a different light excites me.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing. Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait... what led to you being you?

I’m a mathematician who works as a business intelligence consultant. So, I’m usually a very logical person. Yet I love to dive into fantastical worlds and play different roles. Throughout the years, I’ve tried cosplaying, online games, pen & paper RPGs, and LARP.
 
Even though I’m from Germany, I prefer to do everything in English. For years, I dreamed of living in an English-speaking country, and I fulfilled that dream in 2016, when I spent almost a year doing work and travel in Canada. I still think that Victoria (British Columbia) is the most beautiful place in the world.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Never give up on your dreams. And get feedback—lots of it.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

My first book hasn’t been published yet, so I can’t really answer this question.

However, I already got some negative feedback from beta readers. At first, I felt a bit offended, but I tried my best to understand where they were coming from. Eventually, I turned their criticism into inspiration to improve my story.

I’m aware not all reviews will be constructive feedback, but I still hope I can learn something from them.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

I recently learned that I need to relate to my characters and like them in order to write them well. It’s not always easy to find a common ground with my main characters when their beliefs differ from mine.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

I’ve always got a huge cup of tea (1 liter) next to me.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

I’m usually so focused on my story that I don’t indulge in anything else. When I’m in a writing flow, I often stay up way too late because I forget about the time and everything else around me.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose? And why?

The author I thought of first is actually an actor: Misha Collins. But he recently published a poetry book, so I hope that counts.

I loved Misha as Castiel in supernatural. I also took part in his worldwide scavenger hunt, “GISHWHES” (if you don’t know it, check it out. It’s super fun!). Spending a day with someone who changed many lives with his crazy ideas and incited so many people to take part in random acts must be inspiring.


What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I try to write around two hours every night (from 9 PM to 11 PM), but that often depends on my motivation and other obligations. Some nights I don’t write at all, and others I write from 6 PM to 1 AM (or longer).

My favorite drink is tea (fennel or berries), and I rarely snack while writing.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Sometimes. My favorite music is a mix of rock, pop, and alternative. My favorite bands are all time low, halestorm, 3 doors down, wirtz, nickelback, 30 seconds to mars, 5 bugs, and one fine day.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Yes. I often dogsit for my mum. She has the cutest miniature poodle, and he’s extremely clingy.

Writing with a dog on your lap is a real challenge, especially if he wants you to cuddle him all the time.


What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game?

Having too much on my mind, things that worry me and keep me from focusing on my story.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Not yet…


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Typing “The end” usually isn’t the end of the entire writing process, so I don’t really celebrate it. But I sleep better knowing I’ve finished the first big milestone of my next book.


I hope you enjoyed the interview as much as I have!

  Make sure to give Elli a shout-out and FOLLOW her on all her social media!


Connect w/ Elli:

No comments:

Post a Comment