Friday, January 20, 2023

INTERVIEW with KEIGHLEY BRADFORD


I want to thank Keighley Bradford for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Keighley Bradford is an Australian romance author and creative industries professional based in Newcastle NSW. She has a Master's of Creative Industries, specializing in Writing, Publishing, and Marketing. Her background is in creative writing, arts administration, copywriting and editing, and social media marketing. She is passionate about supporting the arts community, working and volunteering in the Hunter literary scene at festivals and local writers’ organizations. 

Keighley is undoubtedly a perfectionist who spends most of her time stuck behind her laptop working. Over the years, her short fiction pieces have been published and won several awards. In her spare time, you’ll find her drinking hot coffee at a local cafe, or binge-watching a new series on Netflix.

 

When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I was thirteen when I started writing and knew pretty much from the start that I wanted to do it as a career. 

I didn’t start small — I dove straight into writing novels (a series in fact). It’s safe to say I enjoyed the process of storytelling quite a lot, and being an avid reader, I don’t think anybody is surprised that I became a writer.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Richelle Mead, Jessica Shirvington, and Lauren Kate. I’d actually started writing YA paranormal/fantasy because of them, before I found my passion for telling romance stories.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Definitely not — I like to keep my book characters fictional.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

The world around me mostly, as well as books and film. I always feel inspired to write after a good book or movie, or from going on a nice stroll down the beach or in nature.


Do you have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

While I might have a basic idea of the storyline, I let the characters lead the way 99% of the time.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Yes, I have a Pinterest mood board with character profiles that I can look at for inspiration.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

For me, it’s reading or watching TV. I also enjoy going to the beach.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Max Monroe, Lauren Blakley, Christina Lauren


What are your favorite books by others?

November 9 by Colleen Hoover 

Tapping The Billionaire by Max Monroe 

Single Dad Seeks Juliet by Max Monroe 

The Virgin Next Door by Lauren Blakely


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Sometimes, it depends on the story. My stories are usually set in Australia though as I’m an Aussie myself, so I feel I can be more authentic using this setting.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Depends on the narrative, but I definitely favor multiple POV


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Google. (Being contemporary romance, Google can usually answer any questions for me)


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

No, I write under my given name.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Contemporary romance because it’s fun to write. It’s also the world around us, so I can always draw inspiration from it.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I work in arts administration at a writers center doing marketing as my day job, with a Masters degree in creative industries specializing in writing, publishing and marketing. 

I’ve previous worked in various roles at several writers festivals in Australia, as well as founded the writers club at my university (college). 

My debut ‘Once We Were’ was published as part of my Masters degree. My short fiction work has won several awards over the years. 

I was born and raised in country NSW and relocated to the coast to study. 

I’ve been an avid reader my whole life, only getting into romance in college. 

I love hallmark movies, but prefer my books to be spicy.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Study the genre and learn the formula.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

Writing is like art — it’s subjective to the viewer (aka the reader). Not everybody is going to like what you write. 

However, someone out there will value your work and it’ll be exactly what they needed to read.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Editing. I’m a perfectionist and will critique everything a millionaire times before I’m happy with it.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Not necessarily, it depends what part in the writing process I’m in. Just writing, 

I can usually write anywhere and quite like to be in different settings. 

Meanwhile, for editing, I prefer a designated writing space.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

If I’m out writing, I’ll allow myself to have a treat.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Max Monroe 

I love their stories so much, I’d love to learn more about their creative writing process as a writing duo and how they continually stay creative developing the amazing stories they write.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I write where I can around my work schedule. Ideally, first thing in the morning or in the evening, and on my lunch breaks. 

I prefer tea, coffee, or whiskey while I write.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Sometimes as background music, but honestly, not often. I find it can be quite distracting, especially if it’s a song I can’t tune out.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Haha yes, my housemates’ pets love attention when I’m writing.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

If I don’t get into writing first thing in the morning before any distractions, I can easily lose my ‘zen’ and creative flow for the rest of the day. 

Social media and notifications can very quickly take me out of the state of mind I enjoy writing in.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Not yet haha


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

With a bottle of bubbly


I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Keighley Bradford!

https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2023/01/author-at-glance-keighley-bradford.html


Make sure to give Keighley Bradford a shout-out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Keighley:

Website:

Amazon:

Goodreads:

Bookbub:

Facebook:

Instagram:

Twitter:

TikTok:

Pinterest:

Newsletter Signup:

Linkin:


No comments:

Post a Comment