Sunday, January 8, 2023

INTERVIEW with THETTA JAMES


I want to thank Thetta James for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

I've enjoyed books for as long as I can remember. Reading allows you to expand your mind and make you say, what if? Four years ago, I became a part of the Book World as a Blogger and The Erotic Book Review was born.

I love reading and listening to all genres, but I'm very drawn to Romance on the kinky side of things. I believe pursuing your passion brings out your creativity and allows endless possibilities to come forth. Taking a reader on a journey that forces them to crossover into your world is magic. My love for stories has inspired me to write and share my words. I hope readers enjoy them as much as I loved creating them.

I live in North Georgia and I've been married to the love of my life for 30 years. We're parents of 5 adults and we have 9 grandchildren. We drive a Big Rig for a living and travel the entire US. When I'm not driving, I love writing and reading. I love meeting new people and enjoy learning about other cultures. I love watching football and binge watching TV shows.

One quote I live by...

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending”.



When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer? 

I believe I’ve always known. Like you, I was a blogger. My blog was called The Erotic Book Review and I love reading.
 
I suppose seeing the same stories regurgitated made we want to write the stories that I wanted to read. My husband gave me the final push.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up? 

Nora Roberts, Jackie Collins, Danielle Steele, I could go on and on.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life? 

In my Pure Sin Trilogy, all of the characters have some element of real-life people.

 

Where do you draw your book inspirations from? 

I have a very active imagination, so I’m always thinking of stories and possibilities.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way? 

Usually I have the story worked out in my head, but there have been times that a character has taken me in another direction. 


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Not per se. I've had every cover made before I start the book. I already know what a particular character looks like. There have been times that I see a pre-made cover and it matches my description of a character.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax? 

I don't get a lot of time to relax. I truck drive for a living, so all of my books were published while I was on the road. 

My hubby and I are gone anywhere from 4-6 weeks at a time. When we do come home, I just binge watch shows and drink wine to unwind.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Sawyer Bennett, Nora Roberts, James Crow, Ck Marie, and Quinn Slater.


What are your favorite books by others? 

That is such a hard question to answer so I'll just give my favorite book of all time. Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you? 

Not necessarily. It all depends on where I see the story taking place and then I do my research about the city.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I write from Dual POV. All of my books have a Male lead and Female lead.


What do you find to be your best research tool? 

Google is my bestie.


Do you write under a pen name? Also, do you write under more than one name? 

Thetta James is my pen name. My real name is Arthetta Rodgers.

No, but I've thought about creating another one for sweet stories. My books are very erotic.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference? 

I don't have a specific genre. I write the stories that come to me. 

My Pure Sin Trilogy is Romantic Suspense, Rebel Souls is MC, and I have a Mafia story coming up. 


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you? 

As I said, I truck drive for a living. 

I've been married 30 years and have known my hubby for 40 years. We have 5 children (all adults) and our 10th grandchild will be born in February. 

I love to sing and I love all genres of music. Classical is my favorite. 

I'm a pretty chill person that doesn't require too much fanfare. 

I love going to the movies and spending time with my family.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Steer clear of people who try to discourage you. They don't do it blatantly, they do it in a subtle way so recognize them and don't let them get in your head. 

Keep writing and never stop. Everyone will not love your words, but you will have those who love your work. You will have ups and downs, but never give up. 

If writing is your passion, then pursue it. Not everyone can say they've published a book.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

As long as they are constructive, they help me grow. 

If they’re offensive, I don’t take them seriously.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Writing the blurb.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused? 

A glass of wine and my scented candles.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing? 

The research…lol


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose? And why? 

Sawyer Bennett 

Her writing is amazing and I would pick her brain all day about her process, marketing, etc.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  

I’m a truck driver by day so it’s hard to have a schedule. I write when I’m not driving.


Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

Wine and strawberries


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Yes. I listen to Jazz.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

No. I don’t have a fur baby.


What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game? 

Honestly, I don’t know.

I deal with anxiety, so when I have an episode, I have to step away for a few days.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

No


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

More wine.. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment