Saturday, July 8, 2023

INTERVIEW with LASAIRIONA McMASTER


I want to thank Lasairiona McMaster for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Lasairiona McMaster writes sassy, classy and badassy women and strong, yet vulnerable men. She challenges reader’s expectations by openly dealing with mental health issues, often exploring tough-to-handle topics and ‘taboos’ and books with a whole lotta heart. 

She can either be found enjoying a gin and lemonade by the Irish sea, or baking sweet treats in her kitchen while singing at the top of her lungs. When she’s ‘home’ in Texas, and isn’t eating fresh-popped popcorn while buying things she has absolutely no need for in Target, she can be found at Chuys eating her body weight in chips and queso and washing it down with a margarita swirl. She loves to make friends out of strangers.



When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve been a writer since I was a little girl. My parents said my teachers always reported that I was writing poems and stories, and my school reports always said things like ‘great imagination.’


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I loved the Flowers in the Attic series by Virginia Andrews, Goosebumps (scared the crap out of me but I read them anyway) and Babysitters club. As I got older, I enjoyed authors like Jane Austin, Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Everywhere and anywhere. My friends know that if they have a conversation with me and I find it inspiring or funny, chances are it’s going to end up in a book. 

Books, TV, people watching in everyday life, things I’ve lived, things I’ve seen. Inspiration can come from anywhere.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I used to be a pantser (sit at the table and write by the seat of my pants) but I have since become a pretty extensive plotter. I like to know the characters and the key points in the plot before I start writing.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

No, I tend to write the book and then find pictures based on what they look like. And even then I leave it kind of vague. I like my readers to identify with the characters as much as possible, letting them imagine how the heroine and hero might look often works better.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation. What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Travelling, also reading. As hard as it might be to believe, I also write to relax.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Tracie Delaney (Billionaire Romance) 

Melissa Ivers (Hockey Romance) 

Clare Sager (Romantasy/FanRom)


What are your favorite books by others?

Current fave recent read was Kiss of Iron by Clare Sager. It’s just exceptional on all levels.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

My current series is set in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. It’s where my best friend lives, and somewhere I’ve visited almost annually for twenty years. It’s like my second home.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Dual – his and hers.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Alexa. Just don’t ask her all the crap I ask her to tell me about.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

Lasairiona McMaster is my real name, though I’m starting a new penname this year under Lasairiona Lewis.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Hockey romance because I’m a helpless romantic and a huge hockey fan.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing. Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I lived abroad for ten years. I spent almost eight years in Houston, TX (I’m Irish) and then another two in India. I looooove to travel. 

I’m left handed, Aquarius, and I never wear a matching pair of socks.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Research. I made all the mistakes back at the start. I did everything ‘wrong.’ Nothing was unrecoverable from, but I’d be in a much better place had I been more patient.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

I turn them into graphics and share them on social media. Not every book is for every reader.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Plotting. UGH.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

My wall calendar. I tried using a planner for a million years but it never worked. A wall calendar keeps me focused!


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

I don’t have naughty indulgences. I mainline Coke Zero though!


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose? And why?

Pippa Grant, I’ve loved watching her grow as an author and she’s an inspiration.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I get up every morning at 5am and my most productive time of the day is 6-7.30am before I have to get my child up for school!


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I dooooo, I find it influences my writing too. I’m a HUGE pop-country fan. Maddie and Tae are responsible for a lot of my books LOL!


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Disorganization. I am a fiercely organized person. If stuff doesn’t get done, or there are things that should be done that I didn’t know about – that will shake me. 

I have a to do list every day and I methodically work my way through it.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Not yet.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

By starting the next book. I know. It’s so sad.


I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Lasairiona McMaster!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2023/07/author-at-glance-lasairiona-mcmaster.html


Make sure to give Lasairiona a shout-out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Lasairiona:

Website:

Amazon

GoodReads:

Facebook Group:

Instagram:

Twitter:

TikTok: 

Newsletter:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment