Thursday, January 11, 2024

INTERVIEW with ALEX MELLOW


I want to thank Alex Mellow for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Alex Mellow lives with the two loves of her life, her darling husband and son, in London. Her time is divided between her passion for writing and, of course, her beloved little family.

At home, when she’s not writing or running after a very active toddler you can find her reading, watching a good movie or trying to do some exercise. LOL. At least she tries.

 


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

When I was a child, my Mum and I used to always read together at bedtime. I still cherish those memories. I think I knew then.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Agatha Christie. I had many of her books, which I read and re-read many times.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

There are always a few aspects and traits that you as a writer will borrow from real people, but for the most part my characters are a product of my imagination.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Thinking about all the things I enjoy when I read and a very active imagination.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I start with a basic outline and then let the characters and the story grow. I love the fact that even with a plan, I can still surprise myself.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

No. They’re all in my head.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation. What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I’m an avid reader too, so definitely reading. 

Watching a good mystery movie. 

Going for walks in the park.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Anna Zaires

Nicole Fiorina

Penelope Ward

VI Keeland


What are your favorite books by others?

There are too many, so I’ll just mention a few of the books I keep going back to and re-read the most.

The Contract by Melanie Moreland

Stepbrother Dearest by Penelope Ward

The Bad Guy by Celia Aaron

Hollow Heathens by Nicole Fiorina

The Billionaire Banker Series by Georgia Le Carre


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

London is home to me and my family, it holds a very special place in my heart.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Multiple POV. I find that I have more fun when I get to be inside the head of different characters. This also allows me to get to know both the hero and the heroine in greater detail.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Google. I can find everything I need.


Do you write under a pen name? Also, do you write under more than one name?

Yes, I write under a pen name. And it’s just the one pen name, I have no idea how other authors can juggle more than one. My respect to them.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write contemporary romance because it’s what I enjoy reading as well.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing. Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I’ve worked for many years in the health sector. 

I married the love of my life and we have a son who is our whole world. 

I have a love-hate relationship with exercising, I hate it before I start and I love it when I’m done. 

My biggest accomplishment is becoming a mum, it is also the hardest job I’ve ever had.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Write one scene at a time, a chapter at a time. 

Don’t give up.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

I remind myself that we all like different things and that it is impossible to please everyone.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Cutting out scenes that don’t really help with the progression of the story, but I love them anyway.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Either complete silence or my jam, depending on my mood or the scene I’m writing. Other than that, I’m good to work anywhere.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Chocolate and ice-cream.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose? And why?

I would choose Willow Winters. She seems like a lot of fun, she’s a mum too, and I think she would have some really great advice, career and family wise, to offer.


What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

My writing schedule is whenever my son is at school or sleeping. My favourite snack is popcorn, and favourite drink is cappuccino.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Yes, I listen to music when I write. But depending on my mood or the scene I’m working on I might prefer complete silence. 

My favourite genre is alternative. When writing, though, I tend to go for a more sexy, romantic sound.  


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

No. Sadly, we are unable to have any pets at the moment.


What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game?

Noise.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Not yet.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

With ice cream and a really long nap.


I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Alex Mellow!

Make sure to give Alex Mellow a shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect with Alex:

Linktr.ee:
http://linktr.ee/alexmellowauthor

Amazon: https://amzn.to/488bPuT

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/44735329.Alex_Mellow

Facebook:

Instagram:

TikTok:

Newsletter Signup:

1 comment:

  1. Dear Deborah,
    thank you so much for the interview and all the beautiful posts here on your blog on your social media platforms. It was a pleasure to collaborate with you on this. I couldn't be happier that 'Seized' found its way to you and so many other kind and wonderful people in the book community. I'm very grateful to you all.
    🦋 Alex 🦋

    ReplyDelete