Friday, January 12, 2024

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - SEIZED... BODY AND MIND by Alex Mellow


THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY
Seized... Body and Mind

 

Get a behind-the-scenes all-access pass to Seized... Body and Mind, book one of The Hunter Series, by Alex Mellow!


***Synopsis***

Seized … Body and Mind is a full-length novel with 'Beauty and the Beast' vibes, complete with an emotionally scarred, hot billionaire hero and strong, kind, innocent heroine as the main characters.

It contains a little splash of mystery, suspense, and thriller subplots thrown in the mix. And it is also the first book in a series of four. All the books will be about different couples featuring each of the Hunter brothers, and can be read as standalones.

 

What is the sub-genre and trope? Did your characters lead you to this genre or was that decided before the story began?

The sub-genre is romantic suspense. The tropes are Beauty and the Beast vibes, forced proximity, billionaire playboy CEO, virgin secretary, insta-lust, dark to light, cute meet-cute.  

The genre and sub-genre was decided as soon as I started to think about Seized and what kind of story I wanted to tell. I’m a big fan of romance, suspense, and mystery myself, so it just made sense to mix them all in a novel and just have fun with it.


Are you more character or plot driven?

I would say plot driven. I do allow my characters to grow and develop without restrictions, though, which sometimes can lead to a series of unexpected, amusing events.


With many main and secondary characters, how do you keep them separated in your mind? Do you have a story/vision board above your workspace?

I keep a few notes about physical descriptions, personality traits, etc, on an Excel sheet, but for the most part these characters just live in my head. I rarely consult my own notes because I get to know them so well and can see them all so clearly.


I know from previous interviews that characters take on a life of their own. Were any of the characters in this series determined to take their own direction instead of where you initially wanted them to go?

Luke, for sure. He’s a bit of a trouble maker that one. Loves to stir the pot. He’s also a lot more vindictive and obsessed about my secondary plot than what I anticipated. 

All I can say is that Luke is something else and very enjoyable to write. I can’t wait for you all to meet him in the next book of The Hunter Series.


Are any of the male POVs based on anyone you know?

No.


Are any of the female POVs based on anyone you know?

No.


Was there any one character/scene that was harder to write about than the other?

The scene where Alice asks Charles to take her down the aisle. I also had to ask someone very special to me to take me down the aisle, since my dad had passed away a few years before, so it was a very emotional scene to write and even cathartic in some aspects.


What is your favorite book in the series?

Seized is my first book, so I have a feeling it will always be my favourite, no matter how many other books I write.


I know that we aren’t supposed to have “favorites” as far as our children, but seriously, who’s your favorite character and why?

Alice. I admire her strength, courage and kindness. It must be utterly terrifying to be so alone in the world, no family, no real, close friends. Yet, she keeps going, fighting to better herself, to better her life. I hope she can inspire my readers to also follow their dreams and conquer their fears.


Series question - Who is your favorite couple and why did you decide on their dynamics?

Sebastian and Alice will always hold first place in my heart, since they were the first couple I wrote. 

They pretty much chose their dynamics. They completely took over from me where their love was concerned and decided how their relationship should be. I was just along for the ride.


How do you get inside these characters’ heads to find their perfect HEA?

It’s almost like going into a trance where I completely become them. The best way I can explain it is that once I have a plan for a scene, I then take on my characters’ personalities, their desires, their fears, etc, and do my best to give them voice, to represent them in the circumstances I’m putting them in. 

It’s important to me that they feel real, that their concerns are valid and resonate with my readers. And most of all, I want to see them grow, see them become more, as individuals and as a couple, and to build their trust in each other to make their relationship work. Without trust there can be no HEA.


What scene in this book/series sticks out the most for you? Why?

There are many. It’s a tough choice, but perhaps the scene where Sebastian finally tells Alice everything. That final barrier coming down is when he truly gives himself to her. It’s when he finally lets himself be vulnerable and choses Alice over protecting himself by putting his trust in her.


This question is if you write in MULTIPLE POVs not just the hero and heroine - I love the multiple POVs in a book. It’s not just the hero and heroine, but we get inside the heads of multiple characters throughout this series. I feel that it gives the story further depth. Do you think you will write another book or series following this multiple POV outline?

Yes. As a reader, I’m also a big fan of multiple POVs. And as a writer, it gives me the chance to make things more interesting, exciting. It allows me to introduce other characters in a more intimate way, add mystery, conceal identities, etc.


How long did it take you to write this book?

It took me a year to write Seized and another year to get everything ready to publish it.


How did you come up with the title for your book and series?

Because of the forced proximity trope and the surname Hunter, I wanted a title that could both represent the trope and be a synonym of the act of being hunted. Voilà: Seized. 

The Hunter Series because it’s about the Hunter brothers.


If you met these characters in real life would you get along?

Yes, but only if I could figure out how to stay immune to the Hunter men. I wouldn’t want to be just one more fangirl crushing on them.


Series question – Did you know in advance that you were going to write this as a series or did one of the characters in book one demand their own story?

As soon as I gave Sebastian his brothers, I knew I had to write a series. Then the subplot came to me and it just grew from there.


If your book/series were made into a movie, which actors do you see as playing your characters?

I have no idea. They would have to hold some serious, intense casting sessions to find Sebastian that’s for sure.


Can you give us a hint as to what we can expect next? Whether a new book and series or a sequel to an existing series? Can you share a small tease?

I’ll be writing the next installment of The Hunter Series. This book will be about Luke and his love interest Melanie, the daughter of the man who went from being a friend to one of the biggest enemies the Hunters will have to face. This story will be super angsty and the fighting scenes between Luke and Mel are quite simply delicious. I can’t wait for you all to meet them.


Check out all my interviews/reviews for Alex Mellow!



Alex Mellow lives with the two loves of her life, her darling husband and son, in London. Her time is divided between her passion for writing and, of course, her beloved little family.

At home, when she’s not writing or running after a very active toddler you can find her reading, watching a good movie or trying to do some exercise. Lol. At least she tries.

Connect with Alex:

Linktr.ee:
http://linktr.ee/alexmellowauthor

Amazon: https://amzn.to/488bPuT

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/44735329.Alex_Mellow

Facebook:

Instagram:

TikTok:

Newsletter Signup:




SEIZED... BODY AND MIND by Alex Mellow
The Hunter Series - Book 1

Available in Kindle Unlimited

What if home is not a place?
What if home is a person all along?

Billionaire CEO Sebastian Hunter doesn’t bed his employees. He’s vowed never to touch a nice girl. And he never brings a woman home. Yet on Alice Lake’s first day as Sebastian’s new secretary, Sebastian falls in instant lust—and breaks all his rules at once.

When Alice gets a concussion, Sebastian convinces Alice to stay at his soulless mansion while recovering, but his real plan is to win just enough of her heart to get her to sleep with him. But once they’re living together, avid cook and virgin Alice turns out to be more than just a sweet treat. And Alice refuses to jeopardise her prized new job over a fling with a ruthless playboy…

Will Alice be able to resist Sebastian when the heart wants what the heart wants?

Also, a criminal mastermind has been stealing from the Hunter family business, and he’ll do anything to stop Sebastian’s investigation. A stalker lurks in the shadows, ready to crush any chance of happiness and a future together for Sebastian and Alice. And things are not what they seem.

They never are.

Seized … Body and Mind, book one of the Hunter series can be read as a standalone.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Deborah,
    Thank you so much for the spotlight interview and this amazing experience. It was a pleasure and so much fun to collaborate with you on this. I couldn't be happier that 'Seized' found its way to you and so many other kind and wonderful people in the book community. I'm very grateful to you all. Wishing you and your business ventures lots of success and all the good things.
    🦋 Alex 🦋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for the stories of the other Hunter brothers.

      Delete