Thursday, January 4, 2024

INTERVIEW with BRIANNA WEST


I want to thank Brianna West for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Brianna West is an Amazon best-selling author and word addict.

When she's not nose-deep in a hot paranormal read, she's writing about it. Brianna's known for her slick, muscly heroes who think they're all that and a bag of chips, and the sassy heroine goddesses who prove otherwise. Her stories drip with sarcasm, supernatural impossibility, and contain enough adventure and suspense to entertain readers of any kind.

It's paranormal-fantasy romance that will consume you and ruin you.

Currently, Brianna has 16 novels, several serial stories, and a comic, but writers gotta write, so you can expect plenty more to come.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I’d always dabbled a little in writing. My older sister was always the writer, and I thought I never would be. I enjoyed writing sexy little fan fiction, and one day realized I could make my own worlds.
 
After I read a few books that didn’t take the story plot or character direction I wanted, I decided to write a story for myself. It was also a good opportunity to channel a lot of my emotional trauma, so it became a cathartic experience.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I really enjoyed anything Jane Austen, though I’d never write like her. I just loved the emotion she brought to her characters and the rebelliousness of her being a woman in writing. 

But since her, I’ve really enjoyed a huge host of authors, especially in the indie community because their writing is free to roam in a way. It doesn’t adhere to the normal patterns, and I like that.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

My characters always have pieces of people I meet or watch in shows. But if they are based on people I know, it’s loosely. I never take all the parts, just the ones I need for that character.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

I often enjoy reading, watching shows and movies, and playing games to give me inspiration for my pieces. 

Most times what I’d want to do different or have included but with a spin. Which is the reason I never truly write anything that follows the regular pattern. It’ll feel familiar, but it never really is.


Do you have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

Characters lead the way for me. I never know the story until after I’ve written it. My characters always surprise me. I go in with hopes and dreams for an end or outline, and they destroy it, haha.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Sometimes I use actors and models, sometimes characters from other shows and stories. But I always create my own people and spin. 

So I’ve never truly had a photo in mind, but I do play around with character art to find something close.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation. What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I love playing “choose your love” games and reading. I enjoy watching shows and movies. 

Sometimes when I want to avoid thinking too hard, I’ll go out and just breathe for a while.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I love Kim Harrison, Laurell K. Hamilton, JR Ward, and Jane Austen are classics I fall back to. 

But currently, I enjoyed reading Nicole Florina, Kat Blackthorne, Avina St. Graves, Britt Andrews, Caroline Peckham, and Susanne Valenti.


What are your favorite books by others?

There’s so many, honestly. But the classics are the Anita Blake series, Dead Witch Walking, the Black Dagger Brotherhood, and my more recent favorites are the Hallow Heathens, Ghost, Death’s Obsession, and the Magic of Discovery.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Not really. I like to include as many places in the world as I can manage. I also create places that don’t exist in the real world.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I do both. In the past, I only wrote in a single POV. But over the years I noticed the desire to have more POVs from readers, so I incorporated the love interest. 

Now I tend to only write multiple. I was surprised to find I enjoyed writing in the male POV more than I thought haha.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Google, obviously. But also other books in my genre. Reading really helps me understand what’s most engaging to readers in the present climate.


Do you write under a pen name? Also, do you write under more than one name?

I don’t write under multiple pen names. It’s hard to keep just one author social experience working, let alone multiple. I admire the people who have several and somehow keep track.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write mostly in paranormal fantasy romance. I started dabbling in dark paranormal romance with my recent release, and that’s been so much fun.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing. Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

Well, I’m a mom of four and I recently moved to Germany. 

While writing the last 18 books, I was working nights and weekends, taking care of my kids during the day, and either pregnant or breastfeeding for over a decade. 

Two years ago, I decided to focus on writing as my primary career. So now I’m literally living my dream.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

My advice is to know that you can’t improve if you don’t write and publish. You’re going to feel like it’s not enough–you’re not enough–but you are. You have a story to tell and you can only grow if you’re putting it out there. 

Being a writer is hard. It’s not going to pay the bills most days. It’s going to require you to learn and do things you never considered “part of the job,” but you’ll be able to tell people you did it no matter what. You’ll be an author no matter what they say. You’ll have followed your dream, and not many get to say that.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

In past years, I’ve gone through waves of reading and then not. Reviews aren’t meant for me. They’re for the readers. 

But in recent years, the reviews seem to come through much harsher than before. Maybe because we’ve had an overwhelming surge of many things happening all at once and the condition for reviewing has changed. 

So, typically, I don’t read reviews. I have someone help me find bits to use for my social media, but the feedback I receive from ARC readers I will take under advisement, especially if alterations can be made to my work beforehand or I think it’s worth the effort of changing something.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

The hardest part isn’t the writing itself; it’s the fact that as an author I have to be all the things. Running my marketing, social media, newsletter, events, groups, and also writing, editing, formatting, preparing for releases and uploading episodes to Vella so I can get feedback and support as I write is really the most difficult part for me. 

The number of hats authors have to wear is tough.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

I like to have music playing. I tend to read back the previous chapter to make sure I can get in the headspace of my character. It’s often pretty easy for me to click over, though.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Coffee. Lots of it.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose? And why?

I think it’d be really cool to meet and chat with Kat Blackthorne and Nicole Florina. They both have those goth girl vibes I can’t pull off as easily. Plus, their writing styles are very similar to mine.


What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I typically write in the mornings. I try to hit a goal of 10k a week if I’m writing regularly. 

I will typically do 2-3k in a sitting, and it’s how I manage to get so many stories written at once for Vella. 

I enjoy either coffee or hot chocolate as my writing treats.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I do. I listen to literally everything but country. 

I often make playlists for my books while writing scenes because it’s a fun thing to share with readers later.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Before moving to Germany, I had a dog who would go crazy over squirrels and lose her mind, very often while I wrote. So yes, she did haha.


What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game?

Lately, burnout has been pretty heavy. I’ve been doing too much and trying too much too fast. It’s killed my drive. 

I have since started taking a week off when I start feeling that way, then I slowly get back into writing.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Yes, but only recently. I don’t like to kill off characters people bond with, but it was important for the plot that I did.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I typically share it with all my favorite people and treat myself to a special coffee or sugary treat.


I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews/reviews for Brianna West!


Make sure to give Brianna West a shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!

No comments:

Post a Comment