Monday, August 16, 2021

INTERVIEW with DESTINY HAWKINS


I want to first thank Destiny Hawkins for agreeing to this interview!

I hope that you enjoy it as much as I have!

Make sure to give Destiny a shout-out and FOLLOW her on social media!


Bio:

Destiny Hawkins is a multi-genre author with a dark imagination and a love for magic.

She enjoys cooking, running, swimming, listening to music, reading, and of course watching anime filled with fantasy!


Her favorite genres to read and work in are Fantasy, LGBT, Paranormal, Romance, Dystopian, Sci-fi, and young adult.


She’s been a writer since she was nine years old, with Caged being her very first novel, and she has more to come!!


Much...much more.




When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

When I was around age nine, I started writing just about whatever came to mind, but when I turned eleven, I started writing actual stories.

For a while, I continued writing, but when I got into high school I started sports, so I ended up falling off until about my second year of college.

When I officially started up again, I was writing for pure entertainment, but as I continued, I found that there was so much more to writing than I ever thought.

Maybe as a child growing into a teen, it was an outlet, but as I grew into an adult it became a way of discovery.

I can’t say that everything the characters in my books discover are my own revelations.  They are very well fictional - I write dark dystopian fantasy - but I can say that I put what I know and feel about the world and how it affects the people living in it.

I just explain it by creating other worlds and alternate dimensions.

So, how did I know I wanted to be a writer?  I may have started writing a long time ago, but I didn’t know how serious I wanted to take it until I understood the true art behind it.  I’m turning twenty-seven this year.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

D.J. Machale’s Pendragon series inspired my first book series (on notebook), Angel’s Blade.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

My characters are not solely based on individual people.  I may take traits of another person and add those traits to a character, but no one is completely rewritten.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

I pull my ideas from some serious brainstorming.  I like to pop on some headphones, pace, and think.

I call this process “tying knots”.  I answer my own questions, fill plot holes, and come up with more in-depth plot twists.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I have a basic outline, but I make changes if the plot demands it.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Yes!  I had images of the characters drawn out!


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I actually like to go out to the beach and watch the sunset.  Sometimes, I even go sit in the backyard and watch the clouds with meditation music.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

My favorite authors are Jeff Wheeler & Johnathan Renshaw.   Both have a talent for sending subliminal messages and I enjoy catching the ones I understand.


What are your favorite books by others?

Dawn of Wonder by Johnathan Renshaw!


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Well, not entirely.  The only place that has a strong meaning to me are the Sand’s.  I won’t give too much on that subject but know that Wakanda from Black Panther was what inspired the idea for it.

The Sand’s hasn’t yet been introduced in the series, but it will have a major importance to this series.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Multiple!!  But the series will mainly be kept between two!


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Google!  Google is your friend!


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

I only write under my name.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write dark dystopian fantasy for now!  I prefer this because I enjoy writing about the world in a way that is both eye-opening and entertaining.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky traits...what led to you being you?

Well, I’m pretty big on anime.  My favorites are Attack on Titan, Tokyo Ghoul, Psycho Pass, NARUTO, and My Hero Academia.


If you are a duo writing team, how do you share the writing process?

It’s only me writing!


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Write from the heart and don’t hold anything back!

That means be your authentic self.  Everyone has a story to tell, so cliché, I know, but it’s true!

Your best writing comes through showing your true self!


How do you deal with and process negative book reviews?

I try to understand the reviewer's POV, but usually, after I do I find them funny.

Not every reader will like my stories and that’s okay.  If suggestions are given, I’ll consider them.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Finding the time to write and balance life!


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

I like to have music, candles, and clean space.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Cookies!


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Jeff Wheeler!  I’d like to understand his writing process and how he was able to come up with such meaningful books, quotes, and characters.


What is your schedule like when you are writing? Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink

Well, I eat cookies and drink water to make up for it.  Balance.  Lol.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Yes!  I like to listen to just about whatever I need for a scene.

I’ll turn on Crywolf when writing an emotional scene, but immediate music when writing an action scene.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Nope!


What is your kryptonite as a writer? What totally puts you off your game?

Maybe watching a good movie or sitting at the beach for too long.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Not just yet.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I took a little break and had a day to just sit and bask in my accomplishment.  That means a movie, my fav meal, and no working!


Connect w/ Destiny:

Email:
Website:
Facebook Group:
Amazon: 
Instagram:

Newsletter Sign-Up: 
https://www.subscribepage.com/thedescendantsseries



Check out the following interview with Destiny Hawkins!

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - The Descendants Series


Start the series now!
Available in Kindle Unlimited!

No comments:

Post a Comment