Sunday, August 29, 2021

INTERVIEW with FINLEY BROWN

 


I first want to thank Finley Brown for taking the time for this interview!


Bio:

I have spent the past decade reading and writing both historical and contemporary romance books.

I like my men to be in control and my women to be challenging.

My love of Scotland comes from my mother who was born and grew up there.

I have traveled extensively throughout the beautiful and mysterious country, learning the history and walking the same path as many of my characters.

In my free time, when I'm not researching or writing, I enjoy cooking, entertaining friends and family, and drinking wine.

A great bottle of wine shared with a friend is one of life's true pleasures!


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I have always known I wanted to be a writer.  I never got the courage to publish anything I had written until five years ago.

I came back from a very cathartic camping trip after the death of my brother and thought to myself- what am I waiting for?


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Julie Campbell’s Trixie Beldon series was my all time favorite growing up, so I would have to say she was my first big influencer.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

I don’t tend to base my characters on people I know but rather draw off certain characteristics.

I have gotten very good at watching people and their mannerisms, especially if they have a quality that makes them stand out.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

My inspirations come from things I love or know.

In my latest book Stripped, a big part of it had to do with the ballet world.

Both my sister and my daughter are dancers so I went into the book with some knowledge.

I just made the ballet world so much darker and put my own spin on it.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I always have a beginning and an end.  I tend to outline as I go and follow where my characters take me.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Not usually, I know what they look like in my mind but I also want the reader to be able to imagine them in their own way.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I love to sit back and read with a glass of wine!

I also love listening to albums on my vintage record player with a glass of wine.

I think the theme here is wine!


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Stuart McBride 


What are your favorite books by others?

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Most of my books take place in Scotland.

My mother was born and grew up in a small town on the western side of Scotland called Saltcoats.

When I go there I always get the feeling I’m coming home.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I write in multiple POV.  I always like to hear both the voice of my heroine and hero.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

I love research!

This will sound odd, but I believe my best tool is the fact that I do love to research.

I find when I’m stuck in a section the more I research the answer to my problem works itself out.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

Yes I do.  I did at first because I didn’t want people I know to judge me because I write sexy books.  Now I really do not care so it’s not a big secret. 


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Romance first and foremost but if I were to narrow it down I would say Erotic Thrillers.

One of my reviewers said my book was the best erotic thriller she ever read and I liked the way it sounded.  So now when I am asked what I write that is what I say.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I think we are always changing as our personal narrative changes.

I recently had a huge health scare.  I lost the use of my left arm and was diagnosed with a two inch blood clot in my brain and a subarachnoid hemorrhage which led to a stroke.

In the hospital I had a seizure and lost consciousness and stopped breathing.

I am one of the few people who has spent time in this world and the next.

Let me tell you, if that doesn’t change you nothing will.

I was determined not to let it define me.

For physical therapy while I was recovering I started rowing.  I recently rowed a 10K.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Learn as much as you can from fellow writers, especially writers who share your genre.


How do you deal with and process negative book reviews?

I think you need to take advice when it is given with genuine intention.

My first couple of books I had some reviewers say I rushed the ending and they were absolutely right.

I took that knowledge and applied it to my next books.

If reviews are just someone being nasty though, then take it with a grain of salt.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

For me the most difficult part is when I’m almost to the end and making sure I’ve tied up all the loose ends.

I can become obsessive at this part.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

My journal.

I like to actually write out my outline for the day and my journal becomes very important to me.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

It used to be Diet Coke but I gave that up after my stroke.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Dan Brown - I love the puzzles in his books and how he weaves them through his stories.

It would be neat to get inside his brain for a while.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I like to get up early in the morning and workout before I go into my office to write.

I keep basically a nine to five schedule.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Sometimes I listen to classical music if it is important to a certain scene.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Yes!  I have two British shorthair cats.  My girl cat, Pips, is fine to sit on the sofa in my office but her brother Pete likes to be close to me and insists on sitting on my journal.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Yes, but I brought him back as the hero of my new series The Watch.

I mean, you can bring people back.  We are writing fiction.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

The only way- with a bottle of wine!



I hope that you enjoyed this interview as much as I did!


Check out my review of Finley Brown books:

STRIPPED (The Watch - Book 1)
The Story Behind the Story - THE WATCH Series


Make sure to give Finley a shout-out and FOLLOW her on all her social media!

Email:

Website:

Facebook:

Amazon:

GoodReads:

BookBub:

Instagram:



Start the series now!

No comments:

Post a Comment