Saturday, August 21, 2021

INTERVIEW with FRANKIE PAGE

 

I want to first thank Frankie Page for taking the time for this interview!


Bio:

Minnesota based new romance writer, Frankie Page has been writing and dreaming up stories for as long as she can remember.

For the longest time, her primary outlet for her stories was screenplay writing and theater.

Now, she enjoys writing and reading a vast variety of romance genres.  Anything from small-town steamy romances, to the dark and depraved -- she loves it all.

When she isn't plugging away at her computer, Frankie enjoys lounging around her house watching horror movies with her alpha-hole husband, mini-me, and three cats (yes three).


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I've loved writing for as long as I can remember.  I was an only child with an overactive imagination and needed an outlet.

Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Growing up I loved R.L. Stine, Steven King, and Jane Austen.

Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Yes.  In the Moore Family series each character (male and female) has small traits of people I know.

But Robbie Moore was mostly based off of Mr. Alpha-hole.  Although my hubby isn't as big and burly as Robbie (hey a girl can dream right?), their attitudes and mannerisms are very similar.

Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

People and the world around me.  I've always been quiet and a people watcher.

I used to sit and make up conversations people were having as I watched from afar.

Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I let the characters lead the way.  I basically give basic parameters to them and let them decide how we get to my end goal.

When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Sometimes, but not usually.  If I did, every male character would end up looking like Tom Hardy.

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

In addition to reading, I love watching movies.  Especially horror movies.  That is my favorite escape.

Pre-baby and writing, my escape would be countless hours of video gaming.  I was an avid Fallout and Elder Scrolls player.  One time I actually took two weeks vacation to play the new Fallout 4 Release.  I still have a giant collection of Fallout theme gear in my home.

Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I read a variety: Lauren Landish, Claire Kingsley, and Pippa Grant are my go to contemporary authors.

For darker: A. Zavarelli, Ashley Jade, and Candace Wondrack; to name a few.

Additionally I like to read my fellow author friends' work.  Some I'm absolutely obsessed with: Dahlia Reign, Brittany Putzer, Dylan Page, Tara Hodel, Mia Michele, and Kylie Kent (and more).

What are your favorite books by others?

The Rules by Elizabeth Brown

Stealing Cinderella by A. Zavarelli

The Dare by Lauren Landish

Contracted to the Devil by Dahlia Reign

Devil's Playground duet by Ashley Jade

Forbidden Miles by Claire Kingsley

Faultline by Mia Michele

Beauty and the Beefcake by Pippa Grant

Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

The Moore Family series, I live in Minnesota.  Tral Lake is a town made up of a few different actual small towns.

The references to St. Paul are real.  KO Murphy's is based on a pub I used to frequent off of W 7th.

Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Usually I write in multiple POV’s.  I love being inside my character's mind and expressing them.

Currently I am working on a novella with a single narrative POV.  It is new for me, but I am loving what I’ve written so far.

What do you find to be your best research tool?

I utilize Google the most and author groups.  Some knowledge I have from my own educational and professional backgrounds.

Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

I write contemporary and dark under the same pen name.

What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write in various romance sub-genre.

Anything from steamy small-town contemporary to the dark paranormal.  It honestly depends on my mood and source of inspiration.

My preference is to be inspired, but my natural tendencies lean towards dark.  It is likely why I am unable to write a sweet rom-com.

The topics end up becoming very serious and there is a level of real pain.

When working in my Moore series, I have to hold a lot back.  Some scenes that I originally wrote had to be removed and watered down to keep it on the lighter side.

Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I’ve led an interesting life so far.  Not spectacular and nothing very special happened.

My parents divorced when I was 11, from then on I was shipped back and forth and moved a lot.

Everytime I moved, I reinvented myself.  Took on a new persona that lived in my head (as those were the only consistent relationships I had).

I would always use a new alias, Frankie Page was the last one I took on when I moved after graduating.  Although it isn’t my given name, she is an accurate representation of me.

Funny story, I’ve been going by this name in my personal life for 15 years.  I only use my given name with my biological family and my employer.  Mr. Alpha-hole and his family all met and know me as Frankie.  Some I am not sure they even know my legal name.

It caused some confusion at my wedding when everyone was using two different bride names and not realizing they were talking about the same person.  Also, depending on what name someone calls me, is where I know them from.  While I might not remember them specifically, I’ll at least know which part of my life they are from.

There is a girl at a local bagel shop who still calls me C.C. a name I used in 7th grade.  I have never told her that isn’t my name.

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Don’t rush.

It’s exciting to get your first and even next books out.  Focus on quality, not quantity.  Take your time, develop a game plan and execute it.

When you are done, do an after action review and analyze what went well and what could have been better.

When doing your next release, continue to use what worked well while improving on the elements you previously identified.

How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

I ignore them.

I do read my reviews.  I know they say you shouldn’t, but I do.  I read them as part of my review process.

I want to know what people say.  What they liked and constructively what they didn’t like.

Then I evaluate if what they are commenting on is a trend or personal opinion.

I don’t take everything to heart, a lot of it I just file away.  But there have been times where I have made sure to address a comment in a later writing.

I don’t care how long you’ve been writing, how many books you’ve published, or how many awards you have.  In my opinion you can always do better.

Everytime I write, I grow from the previous story.  It is natural.

What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Myself.  I am hyper critical and analytical of my work.  It is rarely good enough for me.

Despite being told it is good, I still doubt the feedback is genuine.  A voice always says they are just being nice and telling me what I want to hear.

It is probably why negative comments and feedback don’t bother me as much.  I’ve likely said worse to myself at some point.

The sting usually comes because of the reiterate doubt I was always feeling.

What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Music.  I need music to set the mood when I write.  My mind wanders too much in silence.

What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Sugar-Free Redbull… I swear some days I’ll drink 3 or 4 if I am really in the zone.

If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

This is the hardest question so far.  While there are several, I’d probably first pick Ashely Jade.

I love the way her mind processes characters and their stories.  I feel like we would have a lot of interesting discussions in person.

What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

I do most of my writing on weekends and late at night after mini-me goes to bed.

Drink sugar-free Redbull.  Snacks are totally mood based.  But recently nuts or jerky as I’ve been trying to lose weight and cutting back on carbs and sugar.

Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Yes, lot’s of music from multiple genres.  Whatever strikes a cord with my story or keeps me in a zone.  My favorite genres are punk and rock.

Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

I have three cats, yes they love getting in my way.

What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

The real world and it’s problems.  Also when Mr. Alpha-hole and I get into a disagreement or he interrupts me to ask me pointless questions lol.

Ultimately, it’s when we aren’t in a good place.  My brain struggles to shut off and allow me to focus.

Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

Not yet.  But, I am still new.

How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Victory laps around the house pumping my fists like Rocky Balboa mentally singing Eye of the Tiger!


I hope that you enjoy it as much as I have!

Make sure to give Frankie a shout-out and FOLLOW her on all her social media!

Connect w/ Frankie:

Email:
Website:
Facebook:
Facebook Group:
Amazon:
GoodReads:
BookBub:
Instagram:
Twitter:

Newsletter Sign-Up:


Check out my review of the following books by Frankie Page!

EXPECTING MOORE (Moore Family - Book Two)


Start the series now!
Available in Kindle Unlimited!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment