Saturday, August 28, 2021

INTERVIEW with PAIGE PARSONS

 



I want to first thank Paige Parsons for taking the time for this interview!


Bio:

Interracial Romance Author
Drinker of Coffee
World Traveler
Japan Dweller

Paige Parsons (aka P. D. Carter) is diving into new waters once again.  This time as a MM romance author.
 
After spending 41 years in the US I decided there were adventures to be had abroad.  So, I packed up my bags and moved to Japan!  Currently, I tell stories from my home in northern Japan, where I use a creative mixture of English, limited Japanese, and wild hand gestures to communicate.  I adore the land of make-believe in all its forms and consider myself an artist above all else.
 
During my 48 rotations around the sun, I’ve been an actress, a journalist, an educator, a stage manager, a production manager, an author, and even a brief stint as a customer service representative at UPS.  Being an author is the most liberating of these paths.  I love creating the stories and characters I want to see and am eternally grateful to my readers for going on the journey with me.
 
“Try everything twice. The first time is bound to make you a little uncomfortable.”
~Paige~

 

When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I don’t think I knew I wanted to be a writer as much as I just knew I loved to write.

I loved writing made up stories, television ideas/plots, letters to penpals (yes, I’m that old), and even school assignments.

Whenever my teachers or family read something of mine I got the “gold star,” the proverbial “thumbs up,” and I loved it.

I wasn’t athletic and reading was my biggest activity, so I got attention by creating either on the page or on the stage. #theatrewasmysport


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Alice Walker - I read the Color Purple in 7th grade; I got punished for it (reading during math class); and it was “censored” by my Language Arts teacher (Catholic school).

I hadn’t finished it, but boy was I anxious to when everyone made such a fuss.

Others:  V.C. Andrews, Judy Blume (Wifey… scandalous), Danielle Steele, Stuart Woods, Toni Morrison, Erma Bombeck, Beverly Cleary, Terry McMillian, and a whole bunch I’m probably leaving out.

I’m so grateful my parents didn’t believe in censorship.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Well, now let’s just say the names are changed to protect the guilty (and naughty).

Seriously, like all authors/writers my characters are largely made up, but are all an amalgamation of everyone I’ve encountered along the journey.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Some real life events

Some my life events

Some (like Law & Order) get ripped from the headlines

Others are a weird blend of all of the above


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I’m such a Panster that I am officially trying to retrain my brain.

Being such a visual person usually scenes come to me first.  When I’m inspired I write the scene, I build around those scenes and then work backwards to connect the dots.

It is usually not a fluid process and I’m working on that.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Usually not; I can only remember have a specific image for my first novel, Taking the Stage; The moment I met this person I knew he was my JJ.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Sometimes I have what I call dark days: no television, no radio, no phone or computer.

It’s just me in my chaise or recliner with snacks, drink, and a good book.

I’ve been doing that since I was a kid. I can still get lost in time and place once I dive into a good book.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Annabeth Albert; Carly Marie; A.E. Via; Silvia Violet; L.A. Witt; Quinn Ward


What are your favorite books by others?

I adored the Nothing Special Series by A.E. Via and Silvia Violet’s Vigilance series.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Most are places I’ve lived and have first-hand experience/knowledge with, but none have been essential to the story.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

My first novels were single omniscient 3rd person tellings.

However, recently I started writing multiple POV 1st person (that’s a bit more challenging for me); It’s hard keeping track of the fact that the other characters might not have certain information yet.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Everything!  That’s not an exaggeration either.  I am not limited as to where I’ll go to find out what I need to.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

Yes. Currently 2: Paige Parsons and P.D. Carter


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Several years ago, I stumbled on Spanking Romance novels.  I fell in love with them.

I had never heard of the genre but once I discovered it, I was hooked.  So, my first few novels were focused there.

Now, I primarily focus on MM romance with a little power exchange tossed in.  It’s mostly about the character though and how they somehow manage to find one another and make a connection.

I write interracial couples.  My entire family is interfaith and interracial, and I wasn’t seeing that depicted in the stories I was reading in those genres.

I didn’t see what I wanted to read, so I wrote it.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I once worked for UPS, Atlantic Records, and at Madison Square Garden doing promos for the NY Knicks.

I have a degree in broadcasting and education.  I spent 3 years as an on-air producer right out of undergrad.

I’m most passionate about the theatre and the things I’ve done to have a career in it have been fun, foolish, and memorable.

I never met a roadtrip I didn’t love or a travel adventure I wouldn’t take.  My bestfriend and I drove cross country Thelma and Louise style.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

It’s lame, but my advice would be to JUST DO IT!

You will never know if you just write and keep it all saved on your computer.  Put it out there.

Take the risk and JUMP!


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

I’m a theatre person.  Sometimes you read them and other times you don’t.

I like to live in the grey.  I don’t fully believe the bad or the good.  I feel like the truth is mostly in the middle.

Also, if it’s something truly constructive I must sit with it, accept it, and try to improve it the next time.  I will not absorb mean for any reason.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Connecting the dots after I’ve written a bunch of scenes.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Desk and chair.

I do not do well with laps and sofas.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Nothing really (I’m super dull)!


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Um, pretty much any of the authors I previously mentioned.

I would have done anything to sit in on a class that Toni Morrison taught.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

When I get started, I pop in my Chopin.  It’s background and nondescript enough to not be a distraction.  Once I get going and I think a song fits a couple I listen to that thing on repeat.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

See answer below… She thinks if I’m home all my attention belongs to her.


What is your kryptonite as a writer?

Thinking I can be productive writing in my house.


What totally puts you off your game?

RL job; It tends to sap my strength and creativity.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

No


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

Wine and a good meal (getting to the end usually involves endless snacks).


I hope you enjoyed this interview as much as I did!

Make sure to give Paige and shout-out and FOLLOW her on all her social media!


Connect w/ Paige:

Email:

Website:

Facebook:

Amazon:
and

GoodReads:
and

BookBub:

Instagram:

Twitter:

Newsletter Sign-Up:


No comments:

Post a Comment