Sunday, January 9, 2022

INTERVIEW with MARY OLDHAM


I want to first thank Mary Oldham for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

Mary Oldham, is an award winning author, and three-time Golden Heart Finalist with the Romance Writers of America in the areas of Contemporary Romance and Romantic Suspense.

Mary lives in Portland, Oregon when she is not sitting on her deck and looking at the Pacific in Yachats, Oregon, the Gem of the Oregon Coast.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

After my bad divorce, my friend, Betsy suggested I journal. 

Instead of journaling, I ended up writing a story about killing my ex-husband and getting away with it.  Someday, I will rewrite it and publish it.  It will be called The Voice of Reason.  (READING BY DEB note:  I'll be the first in line for this book as I too just went through a bitter divorce! 😈)


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

LaVyrle Spencer was my favorite author.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Yes. There is a date I had at a Starbucks in The Silver Linings Wedding Dress Auction that I was told wasn’t believable. 

It really happened, jewel encrusted sword and all.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Sometimes, I’ll be in the shower or driving around and I’ll get a hint of an idea.  But all my story ideas have to come from me, I never write anything I didn’t come up with and about once a month someone will say, “You should write my story.”  

Nope. You should write your own story.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I might know the general direction, but the characters take the story in directions I’d never imagined.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

No, but I can picture them in my mind.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

With a book or movie, getting together with friends.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

Dean Koontz, Karen Slaughter, Janet Evanovich, and Linda Howard.


What are your favorite books by others?

Anything by LaVyrle Spencer is a favorite.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

I try to have it be set in a location I’ve been.  I live in Portland, Oregon, but I’ve visited Paris, London, Rome, Florence, Positano, and Berlin, so they show up in my stories.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Depends on the story. I’ve done single and multiple. Multiple more for stand alone.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

The Internet, and if I really need to, I’ll go to the setting and look around. 

I set a book in Vancouver BC and I actually spent a weekend there scouting locations.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

No, my name is easy although I’ve tried on a few pen names, one being my first pet and the street I grew up on, Ginger Pike.  I’m holding that one in reserve!!!


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Romance, although I think Suspense would be fun. 

My feedback from editors and readers is that I write very complex heroes, so I think woman need to have faith in men, so I’ve stuck with romance because I believe in the Happily Ever After.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I was a media sales executive for almost thirty years, working for three different newspapers including USA Today.  But the last ten years were focused on digital media sales. 

I have a very small family and my parents left me their beach house, so I spend a lot of time there, writing.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Don’t confuse laziness with writer’s block.  I still do and sometimes you just need to sit down and get it done.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

Realize that my skin isn’t as thick as I need it to be.  I call a friend and talk it through.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Proofing it.  I had seven proofers on my first book The Silver Linings Wedding Dress Auction.  I then had two people reach out to me to discuss the multiple errors after it was published. 

At some point, you have to let it go.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

Music, a semi-clean surface around me, no other distractions.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Sweet and Sour Sugar Lips by Sugarfina.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

Janet Evanovich, because she is fun. 

Linda Howard for the same reason.


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

Coffee in the morning, water in the afternoon, prosecco at night.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

Jazz, Diana Krall, Bony James, Nora Roberts, Stevie Wonder, and Nat King Cole.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Nope


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

Dating or being hung up over some guy. Because they usually are messed up in some way and I want to fix them.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

No.


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I just smile and think, “Good job, girl.”


I hope you enjoyed this interview as much as I have!

Make sure to give Mary a shout-out and FOLLOW her on all her social media!


Check out my reviews on the following books written by Mary Oldham!

THE SILVER LININGS WEDDING DRESS AUCTION

A PARIS AFFAIR (The Hotel Barons - Book One)
A SUMMER AFFAIR (The Hotel Barons - Book Two)

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - The Hotel Baron Series


Connect w/ Mary:

Email: maryoldham@comcast.net

Get them now on Amazon!


The Hotel Baron Series

No comments:

Post a Comment