Friday, January 28, 2022

INTERVIEW with LAURA NAVARRE



I want to first thank Laura Navarre for taking the time for this interview!


BIO:

A long time ago in a galaxy far away, Laura Navarre was an award-winning dark historical romance author for Harlequin, while her diabolical twin Nikki Navarre wrote sexy spy romance.

In a daring bid to escape a global pandemic, armed only with an MFA in Writing Popular Fiction and a professional background in weapons of mass destruction, Laura voyaged through a wormhole to an alternate universe where she crafts turbocharged, steamy, poly sci fi romance starring bi heroes, badass heroines, and plenty of sizzling outer space action.

Laura is also a cat addict, globetrotter, wine lover, PhD student, and President of Ascendant Press, with plans for galactic conquest.

 

When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve been writing since I could read! 

The first story I ever wrote was a mashup of Anne of Green Gables and a Harlequin Presents, which I’d started reading on the sly from my babysitter’s secret stash.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I read all the fantasy staples, but my biggest influences were Marion Zimmer Bradley’s Darkover books and Anne McCaffrey’s Dragons of Pern series.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Nope. I make ‘em all up.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

Usually a really sexy movie or TV villain sparks my interest and my imagination catches fire. 

My current reverse harem series has a super-hot MM element that was inspired by an imaginary pairing of Kylo Ren and his archnemesis General Hux in the latest Star Wars trilogy (so hot!)


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I’ve plotted and pantsed, but these days I’m totally a seat-of-the-pants writer. 

I write on my iPhone in Google docs and don’t even know my word count until I’m all finished…which can be dangerous!


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

See my Star Wars answer above. 😉


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Lying on a Caribbean beach with a cocktail, some sunscreen, and a really steamy romance!


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I’m still exploring the reverse harem genre. 

Right now I’m loving anything by Kathryn Moon, Auryn Hadley, Grace Goodwin, and Caroline Peckham/Suzanne Valenti. 

I’m also REALLY digging Ariana Nash’s dark fantasy MM romances, which are incredibly steamy and intense!


What are your favorite books by others?

The Prince’s Assassin series by Ariana Nash, Good Deeds by Kathryn Moon, Kiss the Fae by Natalia Jaster


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

I write stories set in space, so I like escapist settings that I won’t encounter in the real world.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I’m a multi-girl. My heroine and every guy in her harem get to have their say.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

I read and watch what I love to write.


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

Yep. I work in a male-dominated hardcore industry (weapons of mass destruction!) for my day job, but my writing career is sort of an open secret!


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I write poly sci fi romance with MM and reverse harem elements. 

I like it steamy and queer with lots of plot and action! Think Star Wars if they were all REALLY into each other.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky trait...what led to you being you?

I have a professional background in weapons of mass destruction, a day job in government, and I’m in the middle of earning a PhD in Biodefense. 

The way this plays out in real life is I’m good at keeping secrets and it’s hard for me to open up. This is something I’m working on in my personal life.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

I’ll give you the same advice I received from the first famous writer I ever met, the late Anne Rice. 

She told me, “Don’t ever let anyone tell you what to write.” It was some of the best writing advice I’ve ever received and following it has led to my deepest creative happiness.


How do you deal and process negative book reviews?

I skim them once quickly in case there’s any useful feedback and then never look at them again. Otherwise it’s way too easy to obsess over them and doubt myself as a writer.


What is the most difficult part of your writing process?

Finding the time to write. 

Between a challenging day job, a demanding PhD program, the endless demands of marketing and running an indie press, staying healthy, and writing two series at once, there is never enough time to write the way I want to.


What do you need in your writer’s space to keep you focused?

I need not to be trapped behind a desk or laptop. I write on my iPhone on the couch, walking down the street, waiting in line, pretty much anywhere. 

What’s important to my creative process is to feel physically free. Once I’m revising, I shift to a desk and a more traditional setup.


What is your naughty indulgence as you are writing?

Sadly, I’m not sure I have one! Writing what I do, all that super steamy MMMF, feels naughty and indulgent enough.


If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?  And why?

I’d like to connect with one of the big reverse harem authors who write with MM elements, like Kathryn Moon or Auryn Hadley, in the hope some of their awesome would rub off on me!


What is your schedule like when you are writing?  Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink?

Due to my crazy schedule, I like to write first thing in the morning, like five minutes after I’ve woken up. My most productive time is 5 am to 6:30. 

Typically I’m sipping on coffee with vanilla almond milk to wake up.


Do you listen to music when you write – what kind of music is your favorite?

I prefer it dead silent when I write. 

But when I’m prewriting or brainstorming, I listen to 80s and 90s alternative music like Nine Inch Nails or something a little heavier like Marilyn Manson.


Have pets ever gotten in the way of your writing?

Since I can write anywhere, I often do write with a cat in my lap!


What is your kryptonite as a writer?  What totally puts you off your game?

When I was writing for a traditional publisher, having a demanding fast-release schedule took all the fun out of it for me. 

I finished my series totally burned out and couldn’t write a word again for months after.


Have you ever killed off a character that your readers loved?

I write happily-ever-afters and I love my villains as much as my heroes, so typically I find a way to make everyone happy!


How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I share a fabulous bottle of wine with my darling hubby, then start the next book.


I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Make sure to give Laura a shout-out and FOLLOW her on all her social media!


Check out my reviews on the following books by Laura Navarre!

INTERSTELLAR ANGEL (Astral Heat - Book One) 
RENEGADE ANGEL (Astral Heat - Book Two)
ATOMIC ANGEL (Astral Heat - Book Three)
THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - Astral Heat Series


CONNECT w/ Laura:

lauranavarreauthor@yahoo.com

Website:
www.LauraNavarreSciFi.com

Facebook:
www.Facebook.com/LauraNavarreAuthor

Facebook Group: watch this space!
I’m starting one soon!

Amazon:
https://amzn.to/3Gbk4Yr

GoodReads:
www.goodreads.com/LauraNavarre

BookBub:
https://www.bookbub.com/authors/Laura-Navarre

Instagram:
www.instagram.com/LauraNavarreAuthor

Twitter:
www.twitter.com/LauraNavarre

Newsletter Sign-Up:
www.LauraNavarreSciFi.com

 

Start the series now!



No comments:

Post a Comment